Welding pin hole in diesel tank - Page 4
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Re: Welding pin hole in diesel tank

Buy Life Insurance quick so the widow you leave behind can live well and buy the new man in her life a Harley & a bass boat.

You can probably setup a trust that could buy the insurance after your demise as it could save you lots of money in the event you don't depart soon... Just remember insurance has to cover pre-existing conditions cause 0bama said so...

http://safetydifference.com

This speaker we had at work quickly came to mind when I read the title.

That reminds me I have a few safety cans that need to be brazed up around the handles where they always leak, I've probably done at least a couple dozen of these for people we run into on job sites but never have fixed ours...

Just curious. What happened in Nisku.... https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmon...ured-1.4959690
    Last edited by OldSparks; 12-28-2018 at 01:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by UT_Paul View Post
    http://safetydifference.com

This speaker we had at work quickly came to mind when I read the title.
    Welcome to the forum

Quote Originally Posted by OldSparks View Post
    Just curious. What happened in Nisku.... https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmon...ured-1.4959690
    No details yet, but the death toll rose to 3....

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmon...dent-1.4908155
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A

Les

Talked to some of my farming buddies from Alberta on another forum and got this response, but it still doesn't explain the explosion.....

"I was at a birthday party near Leduc over Christmas and some of the young people were discussing it so not sure how accurate the details are. They said that one person entered a tank that had been purged with nitrogen and that the nitrogen was "poisonous" and killed that person. When he didn't come out another man went in to see what was wrong, and again with the third person. All 3 of them going down. I suggested that nitrogen is not poisonous, the air we breath is 78% nitrogen. So we looked it up on Google. It says that the body can not sense a lack of oxygen. We only sense CO2 in our body which is why we breath faster when we exert more energy. So it is the lack of O2, which is displaced by pure nitrogen, that over just a couple of minutes we run out of, with no symptoms, and that is what makes us pass out, I guess is what happens. A very similar process to H2S, only it is toxic. I just like to know what to look out for in these non natural situations that seem to kill a lot of people. Too bad for these guys."

Edit:.... 2 different incidences... sorry I got them confused. Nisku was an explosion, Leduc wasn't...
    Last edited by whtbaron; 12-29-2018 at 03:04 PM.
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A

Les

Quote Originally Posted by whtbaron View Post
    ...A very similar process to H2S, only it is toxic...
    My dad was an engineer for a sewage treatment facility for a few years, and he mentioned this. He said they had to have fans blowing fresh air into manholes when guys went down into the sewage pipes to work because you can't smell hydrogen sulfide (H2S) in higher concentrations. In trace concentrations, it smells like rotten eggs, but at higher strengths, you can't smell it at all, but it's poisonous...

Quote Originally Posted by Kelvin View Post
    My dad was an engineer for a sewage treatment facility for a few years, and he mentioned this. He said they had to have fans blowing fresh air into manholes when guys went down into the sewage pipes to work because you can't smell hydrogen sulfide (H2S) in higher concentrations. In trace concentrations, it smells like rotten eggs, but at higher strengths, you can't smell it at all, but it's poisonous...
    I work in the sewage trade. I don't go down much because I'm a driver on a sewage truck and stay topside mostly to work the pumps.
    Everybody in our firm has detection meters which measure oxygen level, H2S level and LEL(lower explosion limit) and we get a lot of training every year.
    If H2S levels are too high or oxygen to low we only go down with breathing equipment. If LEL is to high we only go down after we can clear it and then only with spark free tools. H2S is not to be fooled with. 200ppm gives a lot of breathing problems. above 500ppm it gets very tricky.
    The people in Leduc were probably not trained well enough and didn't have the right equipment to work in covined spaces. Rule number one is not to go in without the right equipment if the guy inside falls over unconscious.
    Kemppi minarc 150
    Esab powercut 400

Had hogs for years... never stuck my head into a pit, never let anyone else do it either... I've seen too many fatalities over the years. I had a plumber go into a holding tank once. I told him to make sure he tied a rope securely around his chest before he went down, because if he passed out, I wasn't coming in to get him. He apparently thought I was joking... good thing he didn't pass out because I wasn't.
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A

Les

Question one. How did a tank full of oil ( diesel fuel) rust to begin with.
    Answer ?
    Redneck owner riff raff.... Zero maintenance. Absurd

Quote Originally Posted by Bonzoo View Post
    Question one. How did a tank full of oil ( diesel fuel) rust to begin with.
    Answer ?
    My guess would be that the diesel had (or got) some water in it. HTH...

Quote Originally Posted by E T View Post
    I work in the sewage trade. I don't go down much because I'm a driver on a sewage truck and stay topside mostly to work the pumps.
    Not to go OT, but you must have some stories. I heard a few from my dad...about grease balls that were 8-10' diameter, made up of human fat and God-knows-what-all, I heard about guys who had to basically scuba dive in raw sewage to fix pumping stations that malfunctioned, my dad said when those men came out, they had so many condoms hanging off them, they looked like Christmas trees...etc etc etc...ghastly

A diesel tank is different for welding than a gas tank and in a way is a lot more dangerous. The thing you need to do is stop a white cloud of gas from forming. Some people have tried to do this by sucking the air out with a shop vac. This sounds like a great idea but is kind of counterintuitive. Something that works well is to take a piece of copper tubing and blow air inside the tank in the area where you are welding. Remember you must not let that cloud of white gas form. If you do you probably won't make anymore mistakes (or gain any more experience).

Quote Originally Posted by Kelvin View Post
    My guess would be that the diesel had (or got) some water in it. HTH...
    I was telling a friend about getting a free drum of Cosmoline<s> but the bottom was very sketchy (rusty) so I transferred it to a better drum, he asked how it could rust with an anti-rust product on the inside, I said because none had been applied to the outside... took a minute to process.

Those that don't regularly deal with tanks- and just not fuel- would probably be shocked by how many are rusting, don't let the government find out, it will be yet another wave of regulations!
    Thunderbolt AC/DC
    330AB/P + Bernard cooler
    Syncrowave 250
    Oxy/Ace torch
    Dayton 160 MIG
    6CF pot with 185 compressor
    Too much big equipment
    Even more small tools

Quote Originally Posted by OMB View Post
    I was telling a friend about getting a free drum of Cosmoline<s> but the bottom was very sketchy (rusty) so I transferred it to a better drum, he asked how it could rust with an anti-rust product on the inside, I said because none had been applied to the outside...
    Also, water is denser than petroleum, so it sinks to the bottom of a tank. If the tank is steel, eventually it rusts. So even if the tank is coated with epoxy on the outside, it can rust out from the inside.