Brazing Stainless
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Brazing Stainless

Hello everyone,

I got a project I've been toying with. On my dirt bike I have simple rack i'm building for a week long off road trip. I chose to go with stainless instead of regular steel as I don't want these rusting.

So my question, what type of brazing method and filler would people recommend? I have the joints set up as slip fits for capillary action. There won't be any butt joints or notched joints. I could take this to a weld shop and pay but doing it at work with an oxyfuel torch is more in my price range.

Re: Brazing Stainless

Quote Originally Posted by llamafur View Post
    Hello everyone,

I got a project I've been toying with. On my dirt bike I have simple rack i'm building for a week long off road trip. I chose to go with stainless instead of regular steel as I don't want these rusting.

So my question, what type of brazing method and filler would people recommend? I have the joints set up as slip fits for capillary action. There won't be any butt joints or notched joints. I could take this to a weld shop and pay but doing it at work with an oxyfuel torch is more in my price range.
    I would go with silver braze since you have it setup as slip fits. Some flux and silver braze if done correctly will hardly be seen and will be plenty strong. You do not want to silver braze on open joints , slip fits would be great and use the silver braze like if you were soldering copper pipes together. Afterword wash off any extra flux and if needed you could scotch bright the whole piece to make a satin finish on the stainless.

I would try to position your joints so the solder is put in from the top and do not use anymore than what it takes to suck in 360 degrees around the joint. Any extra will just make for more cleanup.

Joint setup is critical with silver braze so pics of your joints would be helpful.
    Last edited by thegary; 12-08-2018 at 03:08 PM.

Depending on the desired color match you can braze stainless with several silver brazing fillers.

Page 18.
    https://www.harrisproductsgroup.com/...dSoldering.pdf

IIRC you can also just use low fuming bronze. Just remember there are two different LFB fillers. Simple LFB is for capillary joining and LFB 15 is used for bridging joints or what is commonly referred to as “braze welding”.

http://www.harrisproductsgroup.com/~...rSelection.pdf
    Roger
    Old, Tired, and GRUMPY

Salesman will call, Batteries not included, Assembly is required, and FREE ADVICE IS WORTH EXACTLY WHAT YOU PAY FOR IT!

Dial Arc 250HF
    Thunderbolt 225 AC/DC

Assorted A/O torches

lots of good info there Rog02. That should give him what he needs.

I'll get some pictures once I'm back out in the shop earlier next week. Thanks for the help

ROG2 has it right...........

I would use the white brazing flux, and either 45% or 56% brazing alloy. This is what I have on hand, the brazing guide RO02 linked to will steer you right.

I had s job in a mill brazing stainless and monel bourdon tubes(C-tubes) for pressure and temperature gauges.We used Nicrobraz filler and flux. Not sure why we used that, but it worked
    well.
    Miller a/c-d/c Thunderbolt XL
    Millermatic 180
    Purox O/A
    Smith Littletorch O/A
    Hobart Champion Elite

There are some very good recommendations here. I will add a few things I've learned silver brazing over the last 40 years.
    Silver brazing is my favorite metal joining method. I like the challenge of making the silver joint disappear!
    Most important, don't over heat the joint! Use JUST BARELY enough heat to melt the filler.
    Bury the joint in flux. A lot of people use a small amount of flux thinking it will make clean up easier. It's not worth it!
    Your slip fit joints are the perfect application for silver brazing. To keep from using too much filler I would recommend using
    filler that is .035"-.045" and make rings that fit snugly around the part that will be inserted.
    Put flux inside and outside the joint.
    Stand the joint vertically if possible and heat until you see the upper part drop into position. We're talking SLIP fit here, should fall together with just gravity.
    As said before silver brazing behaves more like soft soldering copper plumbing fittings than brass brazing steel parts.
    Finish positioning on the first melt, reheating rarely helps.
    Try to handle the molten joint as little as possible.
    Take your time, don't rush it.
    Make sure there is a vent hole, if it is completely enclosed heating of the enclosed gases will drive the joint apart/cause porosity in the joint.
    If the tubing you are using is small, under 1/2" or so, and low mass, i.e. thin wall, it won't be necessary to heat all the way around.
    If you find it necessary to add filler do it on the opposite side from the flame, let the joint melt the filler not the flame, again like soldering copper plumbing fittings.

You'll be amazed at how easy it is after your first joint!

There will be those that poopoo silver brazing. It has been my experience those have never done it or don't know how to do it properly.
    I've silver brazed pressure fittings that have been tested to 36,000psi without failure. I'll stand by it.

Hope this helps.

Screw flux. Get some sil-fos 15 from your local hvac store. I'm with rex... Silver soldiering is no joke. The stuff works good and is fast. Plenty strong enough for your rack. I wouldnt do a frame with it, but you get the idea.

Quote Originally Posted by jagboy69 View Post
    Screw flux. Get some sil-fos 15 from your local hvac store. I'm with rex... Silver soldiering is no joke. The stuff works good and is fast. Plenty strong enough for your rack. I wouldnt do a frame with it, but you get the idea.
    Its ben a while since i used sil-fos 15 but I do not believe it will draw into a slip joint. I know it works great for repairing holes in copper tubing. And yes it needs no flux if parts have been cleaned good . I am not sure how it would work on stainless though, all I ever used it on was HVAC copper tube.

Quote Originally Posted by jagboy69 View Post
    sil-fos 15 is for copper to copper only (no flux), or with flux for brass

Quote Originally Posted by LtBadd View Post
    sil-fos 15 is for copper to copper only (no flux), or with flux for brass
    Thanks LtBadd, that is what I thought but I could not remember for sure.