Firepower MST 220i Are the fan run time parameters configurable?
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Firepower MST 220i Are the fan run time parameters configurable?

I bought my MST 220i last year during the promo when i got a free spoolgun and Firepower welding shield. I enjoy using it a lot in my home garage.
    One thing that bothers me is the "intelligent fan control" that is advertised to only run as needed. I turns out that it runs continuously during stick welding, and starts instantly when the trigger is clicked on MIG or TIG. When you start the machine it runs for 3 seconds then shuts off. This is a good thing, but once it starts it needs to see 10 minutes of inactivity to stop again. The noise and the fan running needlessly bothers me. I have used other brand inverter welders where the fan only started when the IGBT temperature was elevated, and stopped once it was cooled. When i used it for TIG welding in the summer, the fan hardly ran and when it did, it stopped shortly after.
    Does anyone have knowledge of how i could make an adjustment to have the fan run less often on this unit. I'm thinking once this knowledge was learned it could be applied to most Firepower, Tweco, ESAB, Victor, Thermal Arc multi process type inverter welders.
    Last edited by EBWelder; 12-16-2018 at 02:31 PM.

Re: Firepower MST 220i Are the fan run time parameters configurable?

It is built into the software as far as I know. So unless you know how to tweek the binary code it will be stuck the way it is with out some hardware restructuring. I would learn to deal with it or sell it and buy something else.
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, L-tec, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

I would be worried about why they programmed it to run in such a manner in the first place. It would have taken nothing for them to have it run a shorter time, so IMO it runs long for a reason. Maybe there is a component that has a weird heat soak, or a component that is heat sensitive that can be reached by the heat of another component and the fan runs long to protect it. Maybe it's just over-kill protected (which should make for better longevity). I'm sure others can chime in with more experience on the hardware itself and hopefully you can find a reasonable solution, best of luck!

I rather just assume it is cheaper to run the fan at a set time for any condition. Keeps total machine cost down and less problems to worry about like temp sensors and what not failing. Makes the machine more redundant imo.
    Last edited by N2 Welding; 12-16-2018 at 04:40 PM.
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, L-tec, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.