Roller stand Trolley
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Roller stand Trolley

I have my bandsaw on castors, it moves between my shop and my brother's barn, and neither of us have enough space to just nail it down somewhere and build a proper stock feed roller setup.

So: satisfying little project, using bits of stainless offcuts and castors/ball bearing rollers... found out that the only real practical use for 1 1/4" sch40 pipe is to fit just perfectly inside the diameter of 1 1/2" sch10....

Anyway I wanted to make it with minimal hassle, bare minimum of cutting and chamfering, and also no painting or cleanup beyond brushing the oxide off the welds afterwards.

finished

I have enough stuff to make one more of these as well. No longer will we be squaring 6 metre lengths up in the saw by use of wooden chocks...
    Last edited by Munkul; 12-23-2018 at 02:58 PM.

Re: Roller stand Trolley

Nice job

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    :

How do you like that ESAB hood?

Looks sweet.
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    1961 Lincoln Idealarc 250
    HTP 221

True Wisdom only comes from Pain.

cheers guys. More just useful than anything, but something about stainless makes it sooo satisfying.

The ESAB sentinel is the most comfortable and ergonomic hood on the market today, and I'm saying that as a regular user of a 3M speedglas 9100XX which is a close second. NOTHING else comes close, IMO. I can't plug this helmet enough - every time I slip it on, I appreciate it more.

I've tried Lincoln 3350-4C, Speedglas 9100XX, Optrel e684, vegaview, none of them are designed anywhere near as well.

The headgear and shell design isn't just a gimmick. It's genuinely brilliant. The screen is smaller than I'm used to, but as they say, size isn't everything. It's also a true colour lens which the marketing dept completely forgot to mention.

ESAB should have pitched this hood with a higher price tag - it's definitely worth it.
    Last edited by Munkul; 12-23-2018 at 04:54 PM.

Are the stands stable when you lock the wheels? My experience with swivel casters is that they still wiggle around when locked.

Gotta love that brushed weld stainless look
    :

Yeah I made sure I got castors that locked the swivel as well as the wheel. Absolutely rock solid

Quote Originally Posted by Munkul View Post

The ESAB sentinel is the most comfortable and ergonomic hood on the market today, and I'm saying that as a regular user of a 3M speedglas 9100XX which is a close second.

The headgear and shell design isn't just a gimmick. It's genuinely brilliant.
    Thanks for the review.
    I am pretty happy with my speedglas 9100xx but the headgear took a while to get used to.
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    1961 Lincoln Idealarc 250
    HTP 221

True Wisdom only comes from Pain.

Don't have rollers on my infeed table, and it can suck big time when chopping up a full stick of 3-4" square tubing covered in rust......dinna like to slide.

Roller stand Trolley

Quote Originally Posted by farmersammm View Post
    Don't have rollers on my infeed table, and it can suck big time when chopping up a full stick of 3-4" square tubing covered in rust......dinna like to slide.
    I have a roller infeed table. IMO the ideal table would have an option to LOCK the wheels occasionally. That would enable the table to be used for layout work without the material moving around.

:

Had plenty 30 years ago. Unnecessary garbage. make yourself a perfect flat upside angle framework. If you cant pull a 6 x 6 x 1/4 box tube across those angles.............knitt perhaps ?
    If the floor isnt level ? Welllllllllllllll. I suppose angles with few adjustable foots would be needed to untorque and level it. Dunno. Never had a floor that wasnt glass flat. Never will.This contraption can be wheeled wherever in the shop and I do get the occasional 40 foot long piece of iron to deal with. Seldom. I'd rather weld a 20 to a ten-11-13 than deal with 40 foot crap.

Name:  P2231561.jpg
Views: 444
Size:  105.3 KB
    Last edited by Bonzoo; 12-26-2018 at 06:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonzoo View Post
    Had plenty 30 years ago. Unnecessary garbage. make yourself a perfect flat upside angle framework. If you cant pull a 6 x 6 x 1/4 box tube across those angles.............knitt perhaps ?
    If the floor isnt level ? Welllllllllllllll. I suppose angles with few adjustable foots would be needed to untorque and level it. Dunno. Never had a floor that wasnt glass flat. Never will.This contraption can be wheeled wherever in the shop and I do get the occasional 40 foot long piece of iron to deal with. Seldom. I'd rather weld a 20 to a ten-11-13 than deal with 40 foot crap.

That's a pretty cool and inventive machine you built Bonzoo. I especially like how it can be moved around the shop.
    I've been everywhere but the electric chair, seen everything but the wind...the only two things I can't weld is the crack of dawn and a broken heart!

Quote Originally Posted by Bonzoo View Post
    Whatever works for you.

Most professional steel fab shops have fixed roller beds for the in-feed and out-feed on their band saws. Why is this, I hear you say? Are they not real manly men?

... the real reason for rollers is for accurately lining up the cutting mark with the saw blade, with minimal effort. i.e. pulling 30+ kg/m structural steel sections through the saw with two fingers. Obviously the ones I've made are for much lighter stuff, but same principle.

Angle iron trestles are cheap, strong.... and also horrible for using on a saw to pull metal through

In any case, I don't care about your crappy trestle setup because it's not your thread, it's my thread, and it's about portable roller stands, not angle iron trestles.
    Last edited by Munkul; 12-27-2018 at 07:36 AM.

Munkul the OP got me inspired to make a mobile roller stand for my drill presses.

I “mobilized” a side cabinet I’m planning to use for drill bits/annular cutters and attached an adjustable roller to the back of it.

Not nearly as sturdy as the OP’s but it will easily support any material I can lift onto the drill press table.

:

That's a cool idea. Nice and space saving too.

I built my 2nd one, put three rollers in just for looks, nothing else. Also made some proper handscrews.

That's a cool idea. Nice and space saving too.

I built my 2nd one, put three rollers in just for looks, nothing else. Also made some proper handscrews.

The three roller unit gets my vote for looks!

:

It's actually rubbish... because of the welded crossmember the stainless has pulled slightly so the three rollers are no longer flat. It will only ever see two of the rollers in use.

Looks good and will do what I need though!

Roller stand Trolley

It's actually rubbish... because of the welded crossmember the stainless has pulled slightly so the three rollers are no longer flat. It will only ever see two of the rollers in use.

Looks good and will do what I need though!
    How about a self levelling swivel base for the three roller head?

Mind you it would always be a bit lopsided when NOT in use. That would kind of bug me....

Last edited by Lis2323; 01-11-2019 at 11:54 AM.
    :