7x12 bandsaw
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Thread: 7x12 bandsaw

7x12 bandsaw

Picked up a 7x12 bandsaw for a good price, the only thing wrong is when it cuts it has a run out of .125 or so. Is this caused by a worn blade or something worse, I was test cutting some 1.5 tubing and about half way is when it loses 90

Re: 7x12 bandsaw

The first thing to check is the blade. Worn blades will always make a band saw cut crooked. When you put a new blade on, check the alignment of the blade roller guides. Also make sure you use a blade with the correct tooth count for the material you want to cut. You want 2-3 teeth in contact with the material at all times, so thin wall stuff requires a higher tooth count blade than thicker stock will require.
    Millermatic 252
    Syncrowave 250
    Purox Metalmaster

As a general rule of thumb. You should keep atleast 3 teeth engaged in the material. How thick was the tubing? If it was thin wall you want to lower the feed pressure. It may have stripped a tooth off the blade you have now. I would try lower feed pressure first though.

Check the blade guide bearing assemblies, they will need to be adjusted to make the saw cut straight.

Loosen the bolts or screws, shift the whole blade guide in the direction that will make the cut more square, and then tighten them back down, and make a test cut.

Keep doing this until your saw is cutting straight. It's quite straightforward
    Last edited by MetalMan23; 12-28-2018 at 10:21 PM.

All the above , and also re-adjust the tension.
    Ken from ontario,Canada.

There are many articles regarding bandsaw blade adjusting on this site. Always remember to tighten the work piece, if it comes loose it can bend the blade and make it totally useless. Just my experience. Bob

I put a square on the bed and clamped it and when the arm comes down it comes down at a ever so slight angle, square touching blade at 12" in the up position an when arm completely flat it’s away about .125

On my old HF 4"x6", I took the pivot arrangement all apart. My original intent was to adjust and shim things so the up/down and front/rear travel was nice and straight. When I got it all apart I could see the original casting was so dern lumpy and rough I couldn't see how one could ever make consistent adjustments. I smoothed all that up nice and smooth then shimmed accordingly.
    "The things that will destroy America are prosperity at any price, peace at any price, safety first instead of duty first, the love of soft living and the get rich quick theory of life." -Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by goldie lox View Post
    I put a square on the bed and clamped it and when the arm comes down it comes down at a ever so slight angle, square touching blade at 12" in the up position an when arm completely flat it’s away about .125
    Your blade isn’t perpendicular to the bed. Loosen the blade guide holders and rotate to get the blade perpendicular.

IF you don’t have a decent blade to begin with you’ll be chasing your tail with adjustments. As others have mentioned, I’d start there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    ​Terry

**FORNEY**
    **THERMAL ARC**
    210 Fabricator
    181i
    **LINCOLN**
    Idealarc 250/250
    SA 200 (2)
    Ranger 305G LN-25 Pro
    **MILLER**
    Spectrum 625
    Maxstar 150STL
    Syncrowave 351
    XMT 350 cc/cv
    MM 350P

It's a 1/2 inch blade. Slow the drop/feed. Thats why idiots can't make a straight cut with a portaband.Slow down.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonzoo View Post
    It's a 1/2 inch blade. Slow the drop/feed. Thats why idiots can't make a straight cut with a portaband.Slow down.
    It’s a 7x12. Wouldn’t it prob have a 3/4” blade?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    ​Terry

**FORNEY**
    **THERMAL ARC**
    210 Fabricator
    181i
    **LINCOLN**
    Idealarc 250/250
    SA 200 (2)
    Ranger 305G LN-25 Pro
    **MILLER**
    Spectrum 625
    Maxstar 150STL
    Syncrowave 351
    XMT 350 cc/cv
    MM 350P

Quote Originally Posted by Bonzoo View Post
    Should be a 3/4" blade like Lis said.

No sense repeating what everyone else said, the answers were given already but when I got my 7x12 I went through this too. You aren't getting a finely tuned machine from the factory in an overseas 7x12. Once I got mine dialed in though its been cutting great ever since. Every time I change the blade I give all the wheels and bearings a cleaning.
    www.FirehouseFabricators.com

Lincoln 210mp
    Lincoln SW200

It’s a 3/4 blade, and it’s droping slow, any slower it wouldn’t be moving, until I get a new blade i’m done messing with it

It’s a 3/4 blade, and it’s droping slow, any slower it wouldn’t be moving, until I get a new blade i’m done messing with it
    Have you adjusted the blade guide holders?

If it is used, then check the condition of the bearings. They surfaces do wear, even if the bearings are still tight.

Is there a bearing or bushing on the pivot of this saw?

I'm not familiar with the 7x12

I'm going through something similar on my 4x6 because the hole for the pivot was not drilled straight.

I have heard of people drilling it straight and adding a bushing.

Machinist squares are pretty useful for dialing these in.

Quote Originally Posted by jh1990 View Post
    Is there a bearing or bushing on the pivot of this saw?

I'm not familiar with the 7x12

I'm going through something similar on my 4x6 because the hole for the pivot was not drilled straight.

I have heard of people drilling it straight and adding a bushing.

Machinist squares are pretty useful for dialing these in.
    I was lucky on my old 4x6 in the fact that that lower pivot arrangement was a bolt on affair to the lower housing and I was able to shim there. I realize on many that lower pivot is cast into the lower section so shimming there isn't an option but if you look at the left and right pivot arms where they bolt up to the upper housing there is probably some truing up that can be done there. When I took this old guy apart the casting on those arms was so ruff and lumpy it was a joke. Obvious the would snug up a little differently each time you loosened and tightened if one wanted to go through the practice. I took those off, trued up the casting and remounted (bolted them back up) them. A think a guy could consider some shimming at those bolt/mounting points.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "The things that will destroy America are prosperity at any price, peace at any price, safety first instead of duty first, the love of soft living and the get rich quick theory of life." -Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
    I was lucky on my old 4x6 in the fact that that lower pivot arrangement was a bolt on affair to the lower housing and I was able to shim there. I realize on many that lower pivot is cast into the lower section so shimming there isn't an option but if you look at the left and right pivot arms where they bolt up to the upper housing there is probably some truing up that can be done there. When I took this old guy apart the casting on those arms was so ruff and lumpy it was a joke. Obvious the would snug up a little differently each time you loosened and tightened if one wanted to go through the practice. I took those off, trued up the casting and remounted (bolted them back up) them. A think a guy could consider some shimming at those bolt/mounting points.
    That looks like a better way to design it. Mine is a harbor freight unit so the hinge is part of the casting. I'm just going to get a refund on it.

As far as the OP's saw I looked at a parts diagram for a Grizzly 7x12. It looks like the hinge is integral with the base but it does have a bushing.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

First thing I did when I got my used 7x12 was get a set of guide bearings off ebay for like $24. Take the time to adjust and dial them in right and it'll cut right for years!
    12v battery, jumper cables, and a 6013.
    I only have a facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/pages/VPT/244788508917829