Which swirl ring for fine cut consumables?
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Which swirl ring for fine cut consumables?

When I started looking for spare consumables to order for my machine, I found that there are at least 2 different swirl rings listed for fine cut use with the machine and torch I have.

My setup:
    cnc plasma table
    Powermax 65
    mini machine torch
    220948 finecut shield
    220930 finecut nozzles
    220777 copperplus electrode

220857 10-85A swirl ring currently in use.

220947 is listed as a fine cut swirl ring and only has one row of holes in the photos. Is this recommended or needed for the machine torch?

Another post of Jim's talked about only needing a special swirl ring for hand operated torches due to them sometimes not starting an arc with compromised line voltage while out in the field...........but no part numbers were listed so it is unclear if that was in reference to 220947.

Sometimes, the machine will not start an arc with fine cut, but will continue to run the movement and gcode as if it was lit. Manually firing the torch with mach 3 results in it pretty much always firing. Sometimes I will check the spring on the electrode and it will then work, and other times I have to close the gcode file and reopen or restart mach 3. I suspect there is something going on in the software or CandCNC DTHC IV, but figured I would mention the issue in case anyone has an idea of what may cause this issue.

It isn't clear if the 220857 does double duty, or if I should be running 220947.
    Miller 330abp
    Miller 211 inverter, M150 spool gun
    Miller 135
    Miller 375 Extreme plasma
    CNC plasma table (build in progress)
    Femi 120abs portable band saw
    Many other tools
    Too little garage space
    Not enough money

Re: Which swirl ring for fine cut consumables?

Quote Originally Posted by CGT80 View Post
    When I started looking for spare consumables to order for my machine, I found that there are at least 2 different swirl rings listed for fine cut use with the machine and torch I have.

My setup:
    cnc plasma table
    Powermax 65
    mini machine torch
    220948 finecut shield
    220930 finecut nozzles

220947 is listed as a fine cut swirl ring and only has one row of holes in the photos. Is this recommended or needed for the machine torch?

Another post of Jim's talked about only needing a special swirl ring for hand operated torches due to them sometimes not starting an arc with compromised line voltage while out in the field...........but no part numbers were listed so it is unclear if that was in reference to 220947.

Sometimes, the machine will not start an arc with fine cut, but will continue to run the movement and gcode as if it was lit. Manually firing the torch with mach 3 results in it pretty much always firing. Sometimes I will check the spring on the electrode and it will then work, and other times I have to close the gcode file and reopen or restart mach 3. I suspect there is something going on in the software or CandCNC DTHC IV, but figured I would mention the issue in case anyone has an idea of what may cause this issue.

It isn't clear if the 220857 does double duty, or if I should be running 220947.
    I run the 947 for fine cut, that’s what my manual shows

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by amusick10 View Post
    I run the 947 for fine cut, that’s what my manual shows

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Are you using a machine torch or hand torch?

In the first post, I forget to add that the sticker on top of my powermax 65 shows only the 220857 for the machine torch (45a 65a or fine cut) and it looks like the 947 is in the diagram for the hand torch.
    Miller 330abp
    Miller 135
    Many other tools
    Too little garage space
    Not enough money

Are you using a machine torch or hand torch?

In the first post, I forget to add that the sticker on top of my powermax 65 shows only the 220857 for the machine torch (45a 65a or fine cut) and it looks like the 947 is in the diagram for the hand torch.
    Machine torch, I’m actually running an 85 but with the Duramax torch I don’t think it matters.

The 857 will go from 45A-105A. The 947 with the single row of holes is only for the 45 FineCut.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For machine cutting (as opposed to hand cutting) you get the best bang for your buck if you use the 220857 swirl ring. This makes life easier as you can use the same swirl ring for other consumables (such as the shielded 45, 65 and 85 amp cutting needs). The reason there is another swirl ring that is called the "Fine Cut" swirl ring , part number 220947 is for hand cutting, edge starting applications where you have trouble getting the arc to transfer from pilot arc to cutting arc....the different swirl pattern in the 947 helps. In reality you can use either swirl ring for hand or machine cutting....and will likely see no noticeable difference in performance (cut quality, consumable life, cut speed).

So...my suggestion based on my 40 plus years of experience is to use the swirl ring listed for machine torch use (220857) for all mechanized cutting with Finecut and regular consumables through 85 amps.

Sorry for the confusion on the swirl rings....I honestly think I have addressed this on a dozen different forums over a dozen different times over the last few years! Use the swirl ring you have.....though I prefer the 857! Jim Colt

My setup:
    cnc plasma table
    Powermax 65
    mini machine torch
    220948 finecut shield
    220930 finecut nozzles

Thanks Jim,

I will continue to run with what I have, the 857, as it is easy.

Unfortunately, I did not run across the other posts on the forums when I did a google search, but I really appreciate the product support and expertise you provide.

Happy New Year!
    Miller 330abp
    Miller 135
    Many other tools
    Too little garage space
    Not enough money