Powermax 380 not working, flashing power light when trigger pulled
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Powermax 380 not working, flashing power light when trigger pulled

I've got a powermax 380. It was working fine the last time I used it maybe 6 months ago. Went to use it recently and nothing happened when I pulled the trigger, looked up and the power light was flashing. Turned machine off/on and tried again, same result. Just a little "clunk' inside the machine then a blinking light. No air, no arc, nothing. If I remember correctly it used to flow air when the trigger was partially depressed. Not doing that now, just the clunk then flashing light once the trigger is fully depressed. When I set the Amp/gas set dial to set the air pressure, it does open the valve for the air and you can hear the air flowing and set the pressure like usual.

Pressure is set at 60 psi. Compressor has a water separator, machine has a small desiccant dryer and filter mounted on the cart. I'm getting 123 volts per leg at the outlet for a total of 246, within spec. I changed out the electrode and nozzle with new hypertherm pieces. The swirl cup looks fine. The o-ring is a bit flattened but probably still serviceable. I don't have a spare on hand that will fit currently. I pulled the case and I don't see any burnt or fried looking pieces. There is one area with some black but I'm fairly certain it is just dirt. It's right next to the fan and I can scrape it off with my finger. I posted a pic below. For some reason it is sideways though. It should be rotated 90 degrees clockwise...ie the bottom of the photo is on the right.

I did try flipping the switch on the back and running it on 120 but that just lead to a breaker tripping instead of the machine going into safety mode. It turned on and the fan ran normally, etc until I pressed the trigger fully.

Any thoughts? I've searched, found lots of good info but not a good answer. Great forum by the way!

Thanks in advance!!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    If necessity is the mother of invention, then availability is the father of form.

Re: Powermax 380 not working, flashing power light when trigger pulled

Think it is time for a new unit. Going to guess something failed on the power pcb.
    Look real close at all the parts with a heat sink. may find one with a crack or chip.
    Or the input diode is shorted. Hypertherm no longer has pcs for these units.

I hope that's not the case. A new machine is not in the cards at the moment. Bummed to hear hypertherm is no longer supporting this unit. Kinda' defeats the purpose of buying a machine built to last...
    If necessity is the mother of invention, then availability is the father of form.

This machine was built for hypertherm by a different company here is USA. Many years ago.

I have the same machine. It. Sounds like an air problem . Did someone mess with the air regulator on machine? The green needles need to be in a certain range or it won't work as I recall. Not getting air at all makes me think you got an air problem. You can download the user and service manual. Good luck with it.

Troubleshooting guide saiz:

A blinking power light - voltage is either to hi or low. Is the yellow lever on back of machine set to correct voltage 120/240?

If all four lights blink- microprocessor fault.

It gets air when the amp/air dial it set to air for setting the pressure. Am I remembering correctly that it should get air with the trigger partially depressed?

Line voltage is within machine specs. Lever is set correctly. Machine was working fine last time used. Nothing was changed at the time, went to use it recently and nothing but a blinking light when I pulled the trigger.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by ccawgc View Post
    This machine was built for hypertherm by a different company here is USA. Many years ago.
    Any idea who made it? Is anyone offering support for it besides consumables?

Thanks,

Tom

I think the torch was made by MILLER .

The air starts when you pull the trigger and then about a ten second post flow. Not sure about partial depressed . You thinking about taking torch apart? That would be a starting point and work your way back. The blinking power lamp said volts out of spec tho.

It may bee time to refill your OA tanks.

Still have OA as an option. Actually I use propane. Still have cutting options if needed. The plasma is so much nicer though. Does anyone know of a wiring diagram for the torch? It might help with troubleshooting.

Quote Originally Posted by Insaneride View Post
    I think the torch was made by MILLER .
    Yup. Miller made them as well as the previous model 350.

I had a 350 that served me well and continues to do so for its current owner. Jim stated one time that they weren't too proud of them but didn't really elaborate.
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    '68 Red Face Code #6633 project
    Star Jet 21-110

Save Second Base!

I'll have to dig a little and see if miller sold a similar model . Perhaps I can find more info on troubleshooting/parts.

I don't think they did. Have you downloaded the Service Manual from the Hypertherm website?
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    Star Jet 21-110

Save Second Base!

I downloaded the user manual and the service manual but they are one in the same. It appears more like an owners manual to me.

I thought I had downloaded a service manual but couldn't find it.

One thing that I thought of; the switch could be working but the torch hose could have an open. I would test from switch connection to the end of hose leed inside machine. The owners manual said the blinking red power light indicates out of spec voltage tho. Have you tried on a different outlet? Are you using 120 or 240 ?

Quote Originally Posted by hbracerx View Post
    I downloaded the user manual and the service manual but they are one in the same. It appears more like an owners manual to me.
    There's an Operator's manual (#803980R0) and a different Service manual (#803990R0).
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    Star Jet 21-110

Save Second Base!

DuaneB55, with looking up the part number directly, I found the service manual. First 23 pages are the same as the users manual but after that is the troubleshooting and the wiring diagrams:-) Now I need some time to look into things further. Interestingly, there is a section in the users manual on blinking power light but not the service manual.

Insaneride, I did check voltage at the wall but not on my extension/adapter cord. I'll check on that. I'll also try it in the house garage to see if I get a different result. I know it worked there before.

Thanks guys!

Tom

I didn't do an in depth comparison of the two but I knew the Service manual included circuit diagrams.
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    Star Jet 21-110

Save Second Base!

BTW, some research tells me the Miller spectrum 375 shares the same power unit as the hypertherm. Consumables are not the same though.

The Powermax190c, Powermax350 and Powermax380 power supplies were built for Hypertherm by Miller in their day. All three were transformer / chopper style power supplies, not inverters as are built 100% in house today at Hypertherm. Jim Colt

Quote Originally Posted by hbracerx View Post
    BTW, some research tells me the Miller spectrum 375 shares the same power unit as the hypertherm. Consumables are not the same though.