Tig torch set up on 330 a/bp
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Tig torch set up on 330 a/bp

Clean up / tin work and repainting almost complete so im looking to get and set up a tig torch, while im getting the shop power sorted.

When i bought it the welder came with large dinse connectors, on the outputs where previous owners were using it for stick welding.

My plan is to use an air cooled torch initially then as or if needed upgrade to water cooled torch later.

Is the set up of an air cooled torch as simple as attaching gas hose from argon bottle regulator to solenoid then jumper hose from solenoid to torch?

Power connection made at welder dinse connection with power block?

Several different styles of connections available it seems some with external gas connection hose at dinse connector, some with simple brass/bronze power block. Will either one work for this machine?

Miller manuals for these machines do not spefifically address tig torch set up, guess they figured these machines would only be used by real welders, not shop guys like me.

Re: Tig torch set up on 330 a/bp

I just use a power block on my Airco 300 (miller 330 a/bp)
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Airco 300 - Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

Thanks. Appreciate the response and help

Seems a waste to go with air cooled on that rig. Those units were set up to use city water to cool the torch instead of a cooler pump. Water came in from the tap, is controlled by a solenoid I believe? And waste water goes down the drain. If you have the water supply and the drain, I would try to go water cooled.
    Millermatic 252
    Syncrowave 250
    Purox Metalmaster

Quote Originally Posted by Louie1961 View Post
    Seems a waste to go with air cooled on that rig. Those units were set up to use city water to cool the torch instead of a cooler pump. Water came in from the tap, is controlled by a solenoid I believe? And waste water goes down the drain. If you have the water supply and the drain, I would try to go water cooled.
    You are correct. The unit has 2 solenoids under the cover - the water solenoid only gets used with water from the tap.

If the water solenoid gets hooked to a pump, the pump can get overheated since the flow gets shut off.

I ruined several air cooled torches while welding aluminum with mine before I made a cooler.
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Airco 300 - Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

Quote Originally Posted by MinnesotaDave View Post
    You are correct. The unit has 2 solenoids under the cover - the water solenoid only gets used with water from the tap.
    Yep,that's the way mine has been set up for over three decades, along with a Tee and a Ball valve in the Argon hose after the solenoid so I can run either air or a water cooled torch depending on the job.

Thanks for all the info. Will go the water cooled route if i ever run up against the limits of a 150 amp air cooled. Not very likely in the near future.
    Shop is about 160 feet from an outside spigot, so would have to drag out two lenghts of water hose and rig a waste water hose every time i used the torch.

Machine is overkill for what i do but the price was right. Of course like most things in life, it's the "little extras and necessities" that begin to add $$$$$.

Trust me, you will get tired of the air cooled torch pretty quickly if you do any extended welding. They can get uncomfortably warm to hold on to, without exceeding their duty cycle rating.
    Millermatic 252
    Syncrowave 250
    Purox Metalmaster

Quote Originally Posted by kioti View Post
    Yep,that's the way mine has been set up for over three decades, along with a Tee and a Ball valve in the Argon hose after the solenoid so I can run either air or a water cooled torch depending on the job.
    Kioto,

Id definetly be interested in seeing a wider angle picture to see the full connection layout you have set-up.

Start planning on a cooler. I am using my 330 with an air cooled torch on light Gage and it's getting hot enough to smoke my gloves.

Sent from my LG-TP450 using Tapatalk
    Miller Syncrowave 300(s)
    Miller 330 A/BP w/ WP-18 torch / WP-26 torch
    Miller CP-200 Haas / Kamp'd / CP-300 in process
    Homemade tig cooler
    Miller 30A /S-52E feeders

Quote Originally Posted by kioti View Post
    What job would you want a air cooled torch for ??? Especially when you have a liquid cooled rig ! Been welding long time i cant imagine what job that would be .

Quote Originally Posted by paul. m View Post
    What job would you want a air cooled torch for ??? Especially when you have a liquid cooled rig ! Been welding long time i cant imagine what job that would be .

Liquid cooled 300 amp torch for heavy Aluminum castings and 150 amp flex head for doing .040 sheet metal both Aluminum and Steel.

On my 330abp, I run a heavy duty flex head #20 torch from Nutech sys. It is rated at around 300 amps DC and maybe 260 amps AC. The standard flex head was too light for routinely running to the top of the output scale on the middle notch of this machine and anything in the Kill Mode notch (third one) was out.

I won't go without a flex head and the standard 20 is nice and compact, but the HD keeps the same small parts while just increasing the neck to a cross section that is half an inch or so tall by about an inch wide. It beats the bigger #18 size torch. While I wouldn't consider bothering with an air cooled torch, I also have never used one.

A shurflow 120v RV style diaphragm pump, from amazon, makes for a great tig cooler that is also quiet.

Unless you do a bunch of very light work, running an air cooled torch on a 330abp seems about equivalent to a 1,000 cc street bike with bicycle tires.
    Miller 330abp
    Miller 211 inverter, M150 spool gun
    Miller 135
    Miller 375 Extreme plasma
    CNC plasma table (build in progress)
    Femi 120abs portable band saw
    Many other tools
    Too little garage space
    Not enough money

Hi, I am setting up my 330 a/bp for tig welding of 1/16"stainless steel sheet metal. The manual is a little vague as far as setting and were certain switches are supposed to be. I am using an air cooled torch and would like to have someone give me all the setting that I have to use for this application. I don't have a foot pedal at this time so I will be doing it without one. As time goes by I might purchase a water cooled torch and foot feed, but for now it will be more manual. If some one is using this same setup and have a picture of the front of the machine that would probably help also. Thanks, Buzz