Help with cold saw please! - Page 2
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Help with cold saw please!

Nice setup.

Quote Originally Posted by Lis2323 View Post

I’m done. Locking swivel mechanism works well. I actually surprise myself sometimes.
    That looks great! You’ll be glad you built it every time you use it.

I think I saw mention of a handle that attaches above the handle on those Makita dry saws to retract the blade guard. Mine doesn’t have one but it seems like it could be handy for lining up to the cut. Anyone have experience with it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by djd775 View Post
    That looks great! You’ll be glad you built it every time you use it.

I think I saw mention of a handle that attaches above the handle on those Makita dry saws to retract the blade guard. Mine doesn’t have one but it seems like it could be handy for lining up to the cut. Anyone have experience with it?

Hmm. That’s interesting. On my saw the moment the handle starts to lower, the blade guard simultaneously retracts to expose the cut line.

Perhaps the handle is to lift the guard out of the way to easily facilitate a blade change or accessing the arbor bolt?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    :

I used a vfd for mine and welcome to the forumName:  DB22F144-C208-4144-93F9-D29C63AA4C4B.jpg
Views: 284
Size:  128.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by motolife313 View Post
    I used a vfd for mine and welcome to the forumName:  DB22F144-C208-4144-93F9-D29C63AA4C4B.jpg
Views: 284
Size:  128.0 KB
    Nice saw moto but jesus you need a tenuous shot to walk through that tinder box

Quote Originally Posted by Lis2323 View Post
    Hmm. That’s interesting. On my saw the moment the handle starts to lower, the blade guard simultaneously retracts to expose the cut line.

Perhaps the handle is to lift the guard out of the way to easily facilitate a blade change or accessing the arbor bolt?

Yeah, the guard retracing is really a non issue. I drilled a small hole in the outer guard, thru the inner guard with it fully retracted that I slip a nail or welding rod stub thru for blade changes.
    Miller xmt304, Miller S22 p12, Miier Maxstar SD, Miller 252 w 30A, Miller super32p12, Lincoln Ranger 9, Thermal Arc 181I with spoolgun, Hypertherm 10000 ,Smith torches. Esab 161lts miniarc.

Quote Originally Posted by M J D View Post
    Yeah, the guard retracing is really a non issue. I drilled a small hole in the outer guard, thru the inner guard with it fully retracted that I slip a nail or welding rod stub thru for blade changes.
    Shoot. Good idea. I’ll have to do that!

:

My blade retracts as soon as I push the saw head down too; but not always far enough to line the blade up easily to the mark...but it can be rolled out if the way farther by hand so you’re right, it’s not a huge deal.

Biggest issue is if I try to measure off the side of the blade for cut lengths rather than marking the piece...need 3 hands to hold everything so it doesn’t work easily like it does on a bandsaw. My old Ridgid abrasive saw cuts exactly 1” from the edge of the cast base to the side of the blade, so it’s a breeze to clamp pieces at the correct cut location without marking them first. But it’s an abrasive saw, so.....

Getting back to the Makita dry saw, one thing I do wish for often, is an electric brake. On repetitive cuts you can end up waiting a few seconds for the blade to stop before lining it up to the next mark. Minor issue though, the saw works great.

wow Terry, looks great. thanks so much to everyone for all the input. When the electrician came to hook up the 30 and 50 amp 220, he said the 3 phase would only be another 200$ so I jumped on it and got the Brobo as well. although I cut small stuff, I cut about 3000 cuts a year and plan on about 10,000. Half stainless and half mild up to 3" tube and angle. The saw is a 40/80 rpm. sure hope that is ok. I think the nice thing is that I will be able to cut multiple pieces of the angle at once. That sure will save a ton of time.
    Tarpon, hell yea. but just for fun. usually 10 days a year in the keys. I guide for Striped Bass and Bonito in the New York. that video made me jumpy for april 26th in Key Largo. Thanks a bunch yall. Ill let ya know how the brobo is going
    Brendan

If u get a vfd u can actually slow the rpm to 25 if needed

Good move on the three phase! Made it easy for your decision to buy the Brobo. Certainly the choice I would have made also.

Post some pics when you are up and cutting!

:

I would be very careful cutting multiple pieces of angle at once.
    The cold saw is very sensitive to the parts vibrating- and if your parts wiggle while the saw blade is in the cut, it can easily crack or break the blade. $150 down the drain just like that.
    I never bundle cut with the cold saw.
    I, or my employees, have broken too many blades.

Quote Originally Posted by Ries View Post
    The cold saw is very sensitive to the parts vibrating- and if your parts wiggle while the saw blade is in the cut, it can easily crack or break the blade. $150 down the drain just like that.
    This dude has it ON. If you have a bander, you can band small bundles. It'll help quite a bit

Love the little fenders you made Terry!
    Pete

ESAB SVI300
    ESAB MIG 4 HD
    MILLER PASSPORT 180
    MILLER DYNASTY 300DX
    MILLER COOLMATE 4
    MILLER 30A
    MILLER SPECTRUM 2050
    C&K WF-3
    PrimeWeld Tig 225X

If that saw is in any kind of decent shape $500.00 for that saw is a great buy. I don’t really even need one and I’d have a hard time passing it up.

For those of you with experience....how does cold cut compare to dry cut with regard to cut speed, versatility, and blade durability? I have an old Scotchman cold cut that I got real cheap...debating between putting a dry cut motor/blade on the heavy duty base/vise OR getting a vfd or other phase converter and using it as is. I don’t typically need accuracy beyond what my bandsaw and dry cut saw currently offer - speed and practicality are the main considerations for me.

Nice rig. I decided to not use rollers on mine so I just spaced 1" angle, point up. instead.I fount the rollers to be pain when trying to move 1/16 or 1/32. I like the friction of the angle for that. OTOH working with a 15 foot piece of 4 x 4 1/4 wall every day would surely change my tune !.
    I just do ornamental crap. 3 x 3 x 1/8 is "heavy tube" in my world.
    Can't beat that lazy Suzie deal. I've done that for years

Quote Originally Posted by Ries View Post

Thanks for that tech , Reis. All set up for saw and was goo for a minute after new pump, etc. now it is throwing the breaker every time i try to turn it on. I think it is the switch on the saw. the beat goes on!

Absolute. Bundling is for a band saw and buy a metal bander and band it tight. Duct tape wont get it.
    Realistically all toothed saw blades hate vibration. I've byatched at all of them for a Sctotchman type double sided vice. The dont G.A,F. They make more in blades than the saw itself......over time.
    Get some good clamps and get to it.