Help with cold saw please! - Page 2
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Help with cold saw please!

Nice setup.

Quote Originally Posted by Lis2323 View Post

I’m done. Locking swivel mechanism works well. I actually surprise myself sometimes.
    That looks great! You’ll be glad you built it every time you use it.

I think I saw mention of a handle that attaches above the handle on those Makita dry saws to retract the blade guard. Mine doesn’t have one but it seems like it could be handy for lining up to the cut. Anyone have experience with it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by djd775 View Post
    That looks great! You’ll be glad you built it every time you use it.

I think I saw mention of a handle that attaches above the handle on those Makita dry saws to retract the blade guard. Mine doesn’t have one but it seems like it could be handy for lining up to the cut. Anyone have experience with it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hmm. That’s interesting. On my saw the moment the handle starts to lower, the blade guard simultaneously retracts to expose the cut line.

Perhaps the handle is to lift the guard out of the way to easily facilitate a blade change or accessing the arbor bolt?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    ​Terry

**FORNEY**
    **THERMAL ARC**
    210 Fabricator
    181i
    **LINCOLN**
    Idealarc 250/250
    SA 200 (2)
    Ranger 305G LN-25 Pro
    **MILLER**
    Spectrum 625
    Maxstar 150STL
    Syncrowave 351
    XMT 350 cc/cv
    MM 350P

I used a vfd for mine and welcome to the forumName:  DB22F144-C208-4144-93F9-D29C63AA4C4B.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  128.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by motolife313 View Post
    I used a vfd for mine and welcome to the forumName:  DB22F144-C208-4144-93F9-D29C63AA4C4B.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  128.0 KB
    Nice saw moto but jesus you need a tenuous shot to walk through that tinder box

Quote Originally Posted by Lis2323 View Post
    Hmm. That’s interesting. On my saw the moment the handle starts to lower, the blade guard simultaneously retracts to expose the cut line.

Perhaps the handle is to lift the guard out of the way to easily facilitate a blade change or accessing the arbor bolt?

Yeah, the guard retracing is really a non issue. I drilled a small hole in the outer guard, thru the inner guard with it fully retracted that I slip a nail or welding rod stub thru for blade changes.
    Miller xmt304, Miller S22 p12, Miier Maxstar SD, Miller 252 w 30A, Miller super32p12, Lincoln Ranger 9, Thermal Arc 181I with spoolgun, Hypertherm 10000 ,Smith torches. Esab 161lts miniarc.

Quote Originally Posted by M J D View Post
    Yeah, the guard retracing is really a non issue. I drilled a small hole in the outer guard, thru the inner guard with it fully retracted that I slip a nail or welding rod stub thru for blade changes.
    Shoot. Good idea. I’ll have to do that!

​Terry

**FORNEY**
    **THERMAL ARC**
    210 Fabricator
    181i
    **LINCOLN**
    Idealarc 250/250
    SA 200 (2)
    Ranger 305G LN-25 Pro
    **MILLER**
    Spectrum 625
    Maxstar 150STL
    Syncrowave 351
    XMT 350 cc/cv
    MM 350P

My blade retracts as soon as I push the saw head down too; but not always far enough to line the blade up easily to the mark...but it can be rolled out if the way farther by hand so you’re right, it’s not a huge deal.

Biggest issue is if I try to measure off the side of the blade for cut lengths rather than marking the piece...need 3 hands to hold everything so it doesn’t work easily like it does on a bandsaw. My old Ridgid abrasive saw cuts exactly 1” from the edge of the cast base to the side of the blade, so it’s a breeze to clamp pieces at the correct cut location without marking them first. But it’s an abrasive saw, so.....

Getting back to the Makita dry saw, one thing I do wish for often, is an electric brake. On repetitive cuts you can end up waiting a few seconds for the blade to stop before lining it up to the next mark. Minor issue though, the saw works great.