Help with cold saw please!
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hi Y'all. First post!
    I found a Brobo 300 cold saw. It is 3 phase. I don't have an ability to get 3 phase power but have 220.
    Would you be so generous to school me on wether this is worth doing? saw is $500 and whatever phase converter costs.
    I cut quite a bit of 3/4 1/8" angle (stainless), 2" sq tube 16 gauge, 1/2" round bar, 5/8" round, 1by2 Channel, etc.
    I feel uncomfortable asking people to share their hard earned knowledge, but I would be very grateful.
    I don't have much expertise to share, unless you are into flyfishing, as I was a guide for 20 years. Saltwater.
    Thanks so much!!

Re: Help with cold saw please!

Three pase converter or a VFD will both work. Make sure it is not a 440 volt machine.

what is quite a bit? what is attractive about this particular saw at 3 phase? Is all of it stainless or just the angle?

Doesn't seem like a good deal, with limited my insight. Though a converter would allow purchase of ther 3 phase tools.
    Last edited by tapwelder; 01-05-2019 at 04:04 PM.

I agree with tapwelder. . Unless you have other 3 phase machines contemplated, you’d be better off purchasing a new Makita, Evo (or?)DRY cut saw for the size material you mentioned.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    :

I wouldn't. The materials you described would be perfect for a Makita dry cut saw. A small horizontal band saw would also be a good choice . Either way a good stand and some roller stands would make a good setup.
    Miller xmt304, Miller S22 p12, Miier Maxstar SD, Miller 252 w 30A, Miller super32p12, Lincoln Ranger 9, Thermal Arc 181I with spoolgun, Hypertherm 10000 ,Smith torches. Esab 161lts miniarc.

What the others said, ever do tarpon fishing?

Quote Originally Posted by M J D View Post
    I wouldn't. The materials you described would be perfect for a Makita dry cut saw. A small horizontal band saw would also be a good choice . Either way a good stand and some roller stands would make a good setup.
    X2 on the dry cut saw.

I’m working on one at the moment....(with swivel base)

:

Quote Originally Posted by Lis2323 View Post
    X2 on the dry cut saw.

I’m working on one at the moment....(with swivel base)

Is that a lazy Susan for the base? Do you have any details?
    Miller xmt304, Miller S22 p12, Miier Maxstar SD, Miller 252 w 30A, Miller super32p12, Lincoln Ranger 9, Thermal Arc 181I with spoolgun, Hypertherm 10000 ,Smith torches. Esab 161lts miniarc.

Quote Originally Posted by M J D View Post
    Is that a lazy Susan for the base? Do you have any details?
    After tons of agonizing I purchased a locking boat seat swivel from Amazon for about $25 bucks. I only started working on it today. Got a bit more to do to it.

:

The new style Makita looks like a total 100% PITA. Stinkin' childproof blade guard gotta make it a PITA to change wheels. They just can't leave a good thing alone, gotta always change things for the worse. How in the Hell do you even sight along the blade for your cut line with that stupid thing drooping down in the way. PURE CRAP!!

Quote Originally Posted by farmersammm View Post
    The new style Makita looks like a total 100% PITA. Stinkin' childproof blade guard gotta make it a PITA to change wheels. They just can't leave a good thing alone, gotta always change things for the worse. How in the Hell do you even sight along the blade for your cut line with that stupid thing drooping down in the way. PURE CRAP!!
    Because of our society, it's just another form of making stuff stupid-proof and lawyer-proof

The guard isn't that bad as it retracts as you bring it down. Without it , on a dry saw you would be showered in hot metal chips. Like many things, you need to be smarter than the tool your using.

After tons of agonizing I purchased a locking boat seat swivel from Amazon for about $25 bucks. I only started working on it today. Got a bit more to do to it.

Cool, never thought of a seat swivel. Certainly more heavy duty and being able to lock it is a good thing.

Terry,
    Does that swivel have notches to lock into or is it more just clamp style?
    If notches, maybe you could add some more notches for preset angles.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Miller Spectrum 375 Plasma
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe
    Bridgeport Milling Machine
    www.psacustomcreations.com

Notches, Pat. Everything is just mocked up and tacked in place at the moment. It would appear the swivel is stiff enough to enable infinitely angled cuts even if the latch is not engaged in a notch.

A friction lock on the underside of the table would be plan B if necessary.

:

Quote Originally Posted by farmersammm View Post
    Best dry saw made. I've run them all. you go run one and you'll change that tune. Its so good I rarely use my Morse, which is the best 14 made

Morse metal devil, that's the one I use, going on 7 years

I saw a nice German made one at fabtech I forgot the brand name though

I had a Scotchman cold saw with the pneumatic vise, that worked great but it wouldn't cut large like a band saw, coolant was kind of messy as well. Depending on how much your cutting like the others have mentioned you might be better off with a dry saw, plus their single ph. I had a 7hp rotary for the scotchman.
    Pete

ESAB SVI300
    ESAB MIG 4 HD
    MILLER PASSPORT 180
    MILLER DYNASTY 300DX
    MILLER COOLMATE 4
    MILLER 30A
    MILLER SPECTRUM 2050
    C&K WF-3
    PrimeWeld Tig 225X

A brobo cold saw is about 3 times the saw a makita dry cut is. Probably 4 or 5 times the weight and mass, at least twice the power- plus, a real cold saw runs really slow, with lots of torque.
    I have had a Haberle since the early 90s, couldnt live without it.

But real cold saws come in a couple of different speed ranges, and if you want to cut stainless, you need the slow speed. Usually they are 25/50 rpm or 50/100 rpm, with some variation between brands- could be 30/60, or 40/80. The slow speed, 25 or 30 rpm, is what you want for stainless. If your saw is a 50/100, there is no way to make it slower- its in the gearing. So you need to check the speed. should be on the data plate. Too fast, and it will dull the blade, cutting stainless, in about 10 cuts. And resharpening is over a hundred bucks a shot, but if you dont break the blade, a blade should last years and years and tens of thousands of cuts.

I have run mine with a static phase converter, which is pretty cheap, but it will run better with either a VFD or a real rotary phase converter.

New, that Brobo is probably a 4000$ saw.
    If the Brobo is in good shape, it ought to be worth about the equivalent of 3 brand new Makitas, used.

Would love to see that thing finished, I’ve been thinking my way around this type of set up for a month or so and it’s about time to get moving on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by amusick10 View Post
    Would love to see that thing finished, I’ve been thinking my way around this type of set up for a month or so and it’s about time to get moving on it.

I’m getting there. Mounted my “transport kit” this morning.

:

[QUOTE=Lis2323;8673552]I’m getting there. Mounted my “transport kit” this morning.

Nice!! Keep us updated and let us know how the locking mechanism on the seat base works out

Quote Originally Posted by MetalMan23 View Post
    What the others said, ever do tarpon fishing?

[QUOTE=amusick10;8673589]
    I’m getting there. Mounted my “transport kit” this morning.

Nice!! Keep us updated and let us know how the locking mechanism on the seat base works out

I’m done. Locking swivel mechanism works well. I actually surprise myself sometimes.

:

Looks great Terry.
    Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Miller Spectrum 375 Plasma
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe
    Bridgeport Milling Machine
    www.psacustomcreations.com