AC-225/DC-210/6 - Code 9113 - idle surge under load
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

AC-225/DC-210/6 - Code 9113 - idle surge under load

Greetings,

I have a AC-225/DC-210/6 - Code 9113 with a B&S motor (I'd guess the code would tell you that, but not sure).

I'm believe I'm having issues with some part of the idle system.

The 120v plugs put out about 80v at low / auto idle without load. When I apply a load (shop vac) the engine idles up however the idle surges quite a bit. The output voltage ranges from about 115-119 every second or two. If I switch it to "high idle" and remove the load the voltage is in a similar range, however only surges by about a volt.

The idle solenoid does not appear to move at all during any of this troubleshooting. Is there a way to test if this is functioning correctly? From what I can tell some part of the idle system is telling the engine to idle up, but I'm guessing the solenoid isn't doing its job to stabilize the engine?

About a year and a half ago this was my neighbor's welder and we pulled it out during a power outage to run as a generator. That's the first time we had this issue. I think the surging was worse, perhaps due to larger load of multiple refrigerators. We ended up putting it away as we didn't' want to damage anything with the fluctuating voltage.

I have the IM308 manual. Any thoughts on troubleshooting this?

Thank you!

Re: AC-225/DC-210/6 - Code 9113 - idle surge under load

Sounds like something wrong with the governor. Hopefully DuaneB will chime in.

Quote Originally Posted by rexcormack View Post
    Sounds like something wrong with the governor. Hopefully DuaneB will chime in.
    Should the solenoid that hits the paddle be doing anything? It isn't. Do you know how to test it?

Bump.

Duane, any thoughts on this?

Bump, just to let everyone know I am watching the thread and hoping.

I've read through the manual, and not sure what the governor should be doing, or how to test it.

Bump, am I off base and this is normal operation?

There are two springs. One is fine and the other is heavier. The heavier one has an arm with several holes it it to adjust it. The fine one if I remember attaches to a verticle rod with a nut thingy and jamb nut on top. There is an adjustment procedure in the op manual. I think you’ll need to adjust the verticle rod nut thingy.
    "You can't out puke a buzzard"

Quote Originally Posted by Pipeliner View Post
    There are two springs. One is fine and the other is heavier. The heavier one has an arm with several holes it it to adjust it. The fine one if I remember attaches to a verticle rod with a nut thingy and jamb nut on top. There is an adjustment procedure in the op manual. I think you’ll need to adjust the verticle rod nut thingy.
    Are you referring to the idle adjustment procedure?

I did go through that, it ended up being to spec as it was. I'll check it again.