Weld quality - Page 3
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Weld quality

Re: Weld quality

If this weld isn't "strong enough" – being 5 to 10 times as strong as the fasteners joining it to the concrete – then how strong is "strong enough"?

100 times as strong as the fasteners? 1,000 times as strong as the fasteners? 10,000 times as strong as the fasteners?

I had no idea there were so many engineers here!

Ya lot of cwi’s on here that can tell how good the weld is by a pic. I had started a thread on 2 different t joint welds and I pretty much tig brazed one and actually welded the other. I made the brazed one look wetted and hot and the one that penetrated I made look cold. They were almost in disbelief. I cut and etched the welds and didn’t show that part till few people commented. But that thread got lost in the crash about a year ago. Maybe I’ll do it again

The thing that bothers me is that it is not hard to do this correctly. Look at this video at the 2:40 second mark. This guy does a nice job of zipping this up in short order. Straight drag, no gun motion. He spent more time getting it tacked up correctly. I think this is why so many people are reacting so strongly, because doing it right is not that hard or time consuming to do. Its like they let a blind monkey weld the one for the church.

Millermatic 252
    Syncrowave 250
    Purox Metalmaster

Some people weld for a living. Some people drive truck for a living.
    Don’t pay any attention to me
    I’m just a hobbyist!

Carl

Dynasty 300
    V350-Pro w/pulse
    SG Spool gun
    1937 IdealArc-300
    PowerArc 200ST
    3 SA-200s
    Vantage 400

Quote Originally Posted by CEP View Post
    Some people weld for a living. Some people drive truck for a living.
    CEP you know I “wasn’t” taking about you. Nope! We all know you know your stuff

Quote Originally Posted by motolife313 View Post
    CEP you know I “wasn’t” taking about you. Nope! We all know you know your stuff
    Thank you!
    In my time I’ve run multi-million dollar welding projects. One job on the water front in Seattle, I fired 12-welders.
    I’m just a hobbyist!

Carl

Dynasty 300
    V350-Pro w/pulse
    SG Spool gun
    1937 IdealArc-300
    PowerArc 200ST
    3 SA-200s
    Vantage 400

They must have done lot of halfas$ work or something. Forgot the (l) up above. Sorry too the spelling guys

Quote Originally Posted by CEP View Post
    Thank you!
    No problem

When you tell the welders, every weld will be UT. And they walk away from the joint with holes in the welds the size of your little finger nail! You no longer work for me!
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    I’m just a hobbyist!

Carl

Dynasty 300
    V350-Pro w/pulse
    SG Spool gun
    1937 IdealArc-300
    PowerArc 200ST
    3 SA-200s
    Vantage 400

Welds in many cases, like mentioned above, ALWAYS have to be perfect. No exceptions.

However, it seems that the consensus among many on this thread is that every single weld in all situations must also be perfect. There is no room for anything else, ever.

I mentioned before about the company I worked for before I retired. It was a multi-national company worth many millions of dollars. It was in a highly specialized, competitive, technical field where many of its customers were very famous companies and were used to buying the best. The owner of the company constantly impressed on us to understand the requirement (both written and non-written) of each project we worked on.

From his view point it was critical to be perfect where that was required but if it wasn't required, it was a waste of effort and resources to work to that standard. He wouldn't tolerate sloppy work but there's quite a difference between that and doing a good enough job where the unwritten spec was "good enough".

I got called out more than once for working to a higher standard than was called for. His point was efficiency. It's not efficient and therefore more costly to work to a tighter tolerance (to use a machining term) than is necessary. You don't work to a 10,000th tolerance when only a 100th is needed. It's not a "pride in your work" position. It's a hard nosed, efficiency driven business viewpoint. I wanted everything I did to be perfect. He said, no that's not efficient when it's not required.

I only used machining terminology above to make a point. Now if your skill set is such that you can do perfect work, quickly and every time then great. But if that became the requirement for all welders everywhere, in every situation, there would be a whole lot of them out of work whose skill sets where perfectly adequate for the jobs they were on.

This is typical for most structural D1.1 welds i see today. If it passes the VT specs in the book, then nobody can say s*** about it. Undercut is allowed to an extent as well as porosity. Just because you see some undercut doesnt mean the weld immediately fails, which is what most people dont understand. Also, you can almost never compare the quality of D1.1 to D1.5 bridge work as the visual allowances are so much different. This is why they tell you not to blab info that's in your brain and to confirm such info in the book before making a judgement call. Dealing with 4 or 5 code books a week becomes difficult at times.
    Welding --- My paid hobby!

I had one of my welders go to another welder and keep an asking him if his welds were perfect referring to my standards. After a little while he said "well it doesn't have to be reworked". Never had that guy say that again. My definition of perfect is no one looked close enough to see the mistake.

Can't see it from my house...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've welded and fabricated for 25+ years. I've done x-ray code work for nearly 20 of those years. I get it and agree with those that feel this has been made into way to big a deal. That weld will hold for the life of said project and if I were paying for this work I'd be more concerned about the quality of the paint. That's what'll fail this job not a less than perfect but more than adequate weld. It could be some uneducated guy making the most of his limited skill set trying to get better or on the flip side it could be some crack head scraping by looking for a few bucks for his next fix. Why judge someone and there abilities over one adequate but less than perfect weld. In my experience most guys that finger point and call people out over their welds couldn't make a perfect weld to save their life. Not judging but speaking from personal experience.

I'll agree that a crappy weld can be strong, but it's still a crappy weld.

CR

It's a gorilla weld - ugly, but strong!

The weld is sufficient for it's intended purpose (load and life expectancy). Would I have tried harder if it were mine? Sure. Would I have any problems being under the weight said column supports? Nope! "It doesn't have to be reworked" is a sentiment I agree with in this case.

I think the fella was a great welder in the shop. Able to position the part where he needed. Probably welded/practiced on 1/4 in coupons all day. Had not adjusted the machine in weeks. Then he was sent out and on his 3rd day in the field he had to weld that post to the plate. It was hot, he was sweaty. He had to drag the weld unit to the work site. Had to adjust the machine he was unfamiliar with. Didn't want to kneel without knee pads. By the 4th side he was on his belly and his back was cramping from up/downs to adjust the machine. And sweat in his eyes. He knew he could do better, cause he is a welder, and he will...next time.

I bet he's great at inspecting! Top of the class Lol I don't like to outright talk trash unless something is dangerous, and this seems perfectly fine for what it is

Yup, Yup I can see it...
    Attached Images Attached Images