Hydraulic Hose Replacement - Buy Dealer Premade or Ask Local Shop to Fabricate?
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Hydraulic Hose Replacement - Buy Dealer Premade or Ask Local Shop to Fabricate?

2007 Genie GTH-5519 19' Telehandler, 3700 hours. New to me. Runs well. Has some parts in visually rough condition. I think this hydraulic hose needs replacing. I got a call when the engine would not start in November, and while poking around looking for possible problems, the person on site said it looked like this hose might be leaking - as a side note separate from the no start. The no start ended up being the spin-on fuel filter had loosened ever so slightly.

We have an opportunity to do some maintenance on the machine coming up, more than the usual greasing and fluid level checks / top-off.

I believe this hose is Genie 04.4229.0035, available on GCIron (who Genie redirects Owner/Operator parts request to) for $370.63.

I am not familiar with this hose or its ends, but I suspect there will be more hoses to replace eventually. [ Question ] Should I be looking to buy premade hoses from the dealer (via GCIron in this case), or should I be working with a hydraulic supply house to get replacement hoses fabricated locally?

If you don't mind sharing, what do you guys working on this equipment do, and/or recommend in this situation?

Second post will have the parts diagram and other photos. Arrows just try and point out the hose across the separate photos. If I have the arrows pointing to the wrong hose in any of the pictures, it would be in the first picture. Hose 22 and 25 terminate side by side. Tomorrow a printout of the parts diagram is going underneath the machine to verify it's item 22.

Name:  hose_front-annotated.jpg
Views: 255
Size:  93.5 KB

Name:  hose_fat_skinny-annotated.jpg
Views: 254
Size:  98.9 KB

Name:  hose_corner_turn-annotated.jpg
Views: 256
Size:  75.1 KB

... Regarding the white cable ties on the opposite-side hydraulic hoses, I am not sure what the reason was (we got it like this) but if the hoses will reach their factory attachment points (where the busted P clamp is), I am planning to buy new rubber lined P clamps and secure them back up.

Name:  hose_corner_blemish-annotated.jpg
Views: 255
Size:  61.2 KB

Name:  hose_belly_run-annotated.jpg
Views: 252
Size:  82.4 KB
    Last edited by el bob; 01-07-2019 at 12:23 AM.

Re: Hydraulic Hose Replacement - Buy Dealer Premade or Ask Local Shop to Fabricate?

Name:  hose_rear_end-annotated.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  66.6 KB

Name:  parts_diagram-annotated.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  68.1 KB

Name:  parts_diagram_geniePNs.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  67.2 KB

Close-up view of rear-most end of hose and connection

Name:  p_d_rear_detail.jpg
Size:  190.8 KB

Close-up view of front-most end of hose and connection

Name:  p_d_front_detail.jpg
Size:  106.4 KB

Re: Hydraulic Hose Replacement - Buy Dealer Premade or Ask Local Shop to Fabricate?

Those look like FSOR fittings, or Face Seal O Ring fittings. They are larger ones with the 4 bolt 2 part clamp. If its a business and major safety deal I would just spend the money for the OEM hose. Otherwise the hose should have some SAE numbers on it telling you the size and pressure ratings of it that would cross over to a parker or gates hose size. I would take one hose end off and look at it very carefully for some numbers, measure the dimensions, and try to cross it to a parker or gates hose. You may be lucky in that the fittings look the same on both ends. If you know anyone with a crimper to do the hoses you could get by cheaper by buying the hose from them and crimping the fittings you sourced online with their machine if they will do that for you. Just know that it you need gates fittings if that person crimping them has a gates machine, or parker fittings for a parker machine. The fittings are not really interchangeable between machines and nobody would guarantee safety with different parts crimped in different machines. I've been sourcing larger fittings recently for my press brake also. Large hose is not always available right off the shelf and those fittings will have to be ordered from somewhere so it will take time. My simple 1 inch hose to 1 inch male pipe crimp fittings were about $50 each so just a guess would be $100 a fitting for those right angle ones of yours. If you don't have a bit of time to learn about the fittings and hose it would be much easier to just buy the premade hose and void yourself of any non OEM parts liability.

I'd pony up and go OEM. Farm tractor, backhoe, dozer I'm good with local shop. Forklift, manlift, telehandler I'd rather have the OEM part if it's still available. Won't be any screwing around taking it back and forth if it's an inch too short or something isn't quite right.
    "You can't out puke a buzzard"

One thought before you remove the old hose if it is run through any frame work pull a feeder rope through when removing old hose. It will make getting new one back a lot easier.
    Mike

I have a JLG 60HA manlift and have always either made the replacements myself or had my local hose shop make them (I would double check their crimps with dial calipers though).

As Ferrett recommended, if it's a liability issue then by all means go with OEM.

Personally I could not see anything wrong with the existing hose, but it appeared to be wet in places. Usually they will leak in places where the outer jacket is damaged and the steel reinforcing wires visible.
    Miller Trailblazer Pro 350D
    Miller Suitcase MIG
    Miller Spectrum 2050
    Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Lincoln 210MP

Quote Originally Posted by scsmith42 View Post
    I have a JLG 60HA manlift and have always either made the replacements myself or had my local hose shop make them (I would double check their crimps with dial calipers though).

As Ferrett recommended, if it's a liability issue then by all means go with OEM.

Personally I could not see anything wrong with the existing hose, but it appeared to be wet in places. Usually they will leak in places where the outer jacket is damaged and the steel reinforcing wires visible.
    They also love to leak at the fittings but not come through there. Rather the oil travels a few inches under the casing before seeping out in that area. I’ve had a few OEMs go that way on my Massey. I don’t get new lines at the dealer though. They are cheaper stronger and better from the local John Deere dealer where they just make up a new one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Exactly. An hydraulic shop will make great lines for you and the markup will be reasonable. I have done this regularly for my windlass and crane and have had zero issues.
    Do not believe everything that you think.

Here the Bobcat dealer makes them up to order. They don't seem to stock premade hoses just made to order...They have the right fittings and lengths to make them up from OE specs.

I've replaced many on John Deere loaders and tractors. I always bought the OEM, wasn't worth screwing around for local made ones. Sometimes in tough tight spots, I replaced the entire set. Would have took longer to replace one then all three.
    It could depend too on how much down time you could have. Ordering exact replacements can be done without removing any and you know they will be right.

Quote Originally Posted by rexcormack View Post
    Probably a good recommendation. I'm partial to these guys:
    https://morelandhose.com/