Downsizing .... big time.
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Downsizing .... big time.

So right now I got let's call it a 1500 square ft shop which I rent.

But a few months from now I'll be giving it up and be needing to cram it all into much less space.

The half of the garage I'm already using is filled with the wood shop. But I still need space to weld and paint (spray). And no the other half of the garage is off limits!!

Can't build an accessory structure on my property due to zoning.
    Renting another space is out.

Creative suggestions welcome.

Current thoughts include moving wood shop to basement and welding in garage. Downside is wrestling 4x8x3/4 plywood down there. Other thought is putting one or the other operation in a trailer. Don't think that a cargo container will keep neighbors happy or be legal.

This all will be for about 5 years until I can move as far away as I can from this snobbery rule infected suburbia.

And another factor is that currently I'm in long island ny so it's cold here in the winter ruling out working under a tent.

To lighten the load I will be selling my mini mill and lathe. Don't use them enough.

I'm sure there are smarter/ more imaginative folks here to give me some fodder for thought.

Thank you all in advance.
    Lincoln Invertec V205-T Tig/stick
    Millermatic 211 Mig Welder
    Speedglas Adflo PAPR 9100 FX-Air
    CertiFlat FB2430 fabBlock U-Weld Kit Welding Table
    FW3012 CertiFlat fabWing 30" X 12" Extension Table

Re: Downsizing .... big time.

I’m probably in a slightly different situation,
    but am also limited in space in my one-car
    garage. In order to make space( for more
    stuff) I’ve put-compressor overhead,tool
    storage under lathe,two bench grinders
    and one disc sander stacked vertically,
    welders under welding table( no carts),
    welding table base doubles as base for
    pick-up truck crane,etc.
    There are compromises to be made with
    a small shop.I’ve chosen capability(more
    equipment )over convenience and open
    space.
    Miller a/c-d/c Thunderbolt XL
    Millermatic 180
    Purox O/A
    Smith Littletorch O/A
    Hobart Champion Elite

I've started mounting all my tools and tables onto caster wheels just for something like this happening. Caster wheels are a start at least.

I have a friend that was in a similar situation. He ended up making a large loading ramp (earth and small retaining wall) about 30 feet in width, to the height of cargo trailers on wheels. He modified the trailers with roll up openings on the side as well as man doors and would just park them there and use them as a shop. He used RV hookups and one trailer even had a small office/restroom. Every now and again the city or a neighbor would make a fuss, he'd move them forward 5 feet, and be back at it in less than an hour usually. They gave up after a few years pretty much, but still come around every so often. Both "trailers" were licensed and plated for road use and were always taken out just last week whenever code enforcement came around. Depending on yard size and the like you could use smaller cargo "trailers" and stairs or a movable deck type deal rather than the ramps. Good luck either way!
    Last edited by SlowBlues; 01-08-2019 at 01:02 AM.

You can't add another building, but could you add a 2nd story to your existing garage for storage?
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A

Les

h; sorry to hear you gotta let some tools go. i'm in florida right now or i'd be all over that.
    i.u.o.e. # 15
    queens, ny and sunny fla

Casters on machinery really helps. I put casters on everything. Visit SurplusCenter.com for a huge assortment at very good prices.

I work inside two 20' shipping containers, one wood the other metal. I grew up in Queens, NY and suspect that zoning makes that a non starter. Unless ....

Is it legit to have a detached garage plus your regular garage? Putting 2 shipping containers side by side and possibly even cutting a passage from one to the other gives quite a bit of room. Cover the containers with some cladding and a roof to make it look normal for the area. Just an idea.
    To my knowledge, I own:
    50% of all the plasma cutters,
    33% of all the TIG welders and
    20% of all the MIG welders on the island.

I own 1 of each.

How big is the lathe? I am looking for a 16x60 or larger.
    Miller Dynasty 280 DX, Lincoln 210 MP

I've set up a pretty usable basement workshop for lack of funds to build the pole barn I want. I put in good lighting and plenty of outlets and have more room down there than I have in the garage to do stuff. I have a mill and lathe and other metal and wood working tools down there.

One idea for you is to make a collapsable table in your garage or a portable table you can move outside to cut the 4x8 plywood boards down into usable sizes for whatever project you're doing and then take the smaller pieces down into the basement.
    Hobart Ironman 230
    Hobart AirForce 40i
    Hobart EZ-TIG 165i

I have a 2 car garage, half of which belongs to the wife, and half of which is mine for a workshop. The garage is under the house, so no chance of putting anything overhead. I have most everything including my work table on wheels and I roll it out into the driveway when I need room to spread out. At the end of the day I roll it all back in. I can do small projects inside, but if I need to fire up the band saw, I am most likely rolling everything out.
    Millermatic 252
    Syncrowave 250
    Purox Metalmaster

Around here lots of folks use these to get around the zoning rules...you may want to look into it

Name:  80006_003_2.jpg
Views: 1361
Size:  141.6 KB
    Millermatic 252
    Syncrowave 250
    Purox Metalmaster

If the HOA fees (fcuk hoas, their inventors, and the inventors mother's) are less than rent, I say screw em and drop a conex.

Quote Originally Posted by Fnord5 View Post
    If the HOA fees (fcuk hoas, their inventors, and the inventors mother's) are less than rent, I say screw em and drop a conex.
    Not a hoa issue. It's just that I live in a township where knowledge of tools is akin to devil worship. You should see the dirty looks I get when I got the bike on a lift in the driveway let alone the truck on some jack stands changing pads. Folks around here are accustomed to paying people like me to do stuff that they're too ignorant to do themselves. But they're not accustomed to living with people like me. We're supposed to live elsewhere and not be able to afford to live with their kind.

My nextdoor neighbor once referred to me as farmer Henry when he saw me (close your eyes if your delicate) riding around on my mower.

I just say was up fat Ben?

He gets the message.

My closest neighbor is over a mile away and runs his own heavy equipment repair truck, so my neighborhood is very quiet... until we fire the tractors up.
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A

Les

I would forget about spray painting completely if you're in that type of neighborhood.

Other than that it's easy. Wood and welding can coexist in the same place. Make sure you have a dust extractor for wood chips. They will catch fire easily but the wood itself wont. And then some blankets or welding screens.

You can buy more compact multiprocess machines. Store things on the walls, not the floor. Have things movable if it's on the floor.

Nobody would know that you're welding if they can't see you. It's grinding that will disturb the neighbors. So no abrasive cutoff saw or unneeded noise.

Good luck BTW. I was in a similar position years ago and it just didn't work. I had to rent a place but found one at a farmer for not much money.
    Last edited by Pete.S.; 01-12-2019 at 12:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Louie1961 View Post
    Around here lots of folks use these to get around the zoning rules...you may want to look into it

Name:  80006_003_2.jpg
Views: 1361
Size:  141.6 KB
    I had one of these a few years ago to store a car in.

A couple things to beware of...

They need lots of ventilation.
    At the time of year when it’s freezing cold one day then the next day it’s 50° everything inside will sweat. / rust.

They get very hot inside especially in the sun.

Another thing is snow load

They can and will collapse under heavy snow especially if they are not On 100% level ground.

The third thing is high winds.

Make sure you stake it down good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    1961 Lincoln Idealarc 250
    HTP 221

True Wisdom only comes from Pain.

Quote Originally Posted by John T View Post
    I had one of these a few years ago to store a car in.

A couple things to beware of...

They need lots of ventilation.
    At the time of year when it’s freezing cold one day then the next day it’s 50° everything inside will sweat. / rust.

They get very hot inside especially in the sun.

Another thing is snow load

They can and will collapse under heavy snow especially if they are not On 100% level ground.

The third thing is high winds.

Make sure you stake it down good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    john;
    i had a smaller version of the shelter in the picture and was too lazy to lag it down to the concrete. on a windy nite it flew over my six foot stockade fence into my neighbors backyard. i got rid of the canvas and kept the frame for my macaw to hang out on.
    i.u.o.e. # 15
    queens, ny and sunny fla

Put things on wheels, and go vertical that's how you maximize space

Quote Originally Posted by henry42 View Post
    Folks around here are accustomed to paying people like me to do stuff that they're too ignorant to do themselves. But they're not accustomed to living with people like me. We're supposed to live elsewhere and not be able to afford to live with their kind.
    I'd like to add; live far away from them but they don't want to pay for us to travel to their special utopia.

I'm with Metalman, if you can't go out, go up by adding a second floor. Storage, painting, woodworking on the second floor with a double door in the gable, big wood projects can be sub assemblies fabbed on the upper floor and put together on the ground floor. I discovered casters about 15 years ago with some bakery frames on casters that were given to me; started with oil drums and scrap bins on wheels, then plasma cart and welding table, fastener drawer chests are next to have casters. I knew a guy that wanted 200 SF more than zoning allowed, the town acknowledged that the 200 SF wasn't going to adversely affect the neighborhood but "rules are for the greater good"... so, he built to the maximum height, he admitted he didn't need it but the cost was worth the "giving the finger to those that crossed him".
    Thunderbolt AC/DC
    330AB/P + Bernard cooler
    Syncrowave 250
    Oxy/Ace torch
    Dayton 160 MIG
    6CF pot with 185 compressor
    Too much big equipment
    Even more small tools

I'd move most of the woodworking stuff down to the basement.

Handling large sheets of plywood isn't a problem if you lave that operation upstairs where you have plenty of room.

How often are you ripping sheets down to size? Can you leave the table saw upstairs and then lug the cut pieces down to the basement? What about having the sheets cut for you by the store? I know Lowe's does that regularly, though I'm not sure if they'll be good at getting the measurements as dead on as you'd like.

Organizing things is the really big problem. I love the french cleat style of wall because you can move things around very easily as your needs change. Also, look to the unused ceiling space for storing long pieces. it's a bit of work to get stuff up there and back down when you need it, but that's hundreds of square feet nobody really uses.

I had a client who called this past Friday asking if I'd wait for him as he would be coming after closing.

No problem I said!

When he arrived I greeted him outside the shop where I just happened to have my very heavy (1/4" 2x2 main frame - its what I had laying around at the time) 3 tier welding cart.

So I've already loaded the two welders, 2 cylinders, water cooler and 4 large boxes of welding tools and supplies.

He was a quick thinker saying I guess you're expecting me to help you lift this into the truck.

Yup I said!

Free labor is always appreciated.

Henry,
    I do the up and down thing as well. Most of my stuff is on wheels, table saw is a jobsite hitachi that is taken to the attic via rope when not in use. The compressor is upstairs as well. I just work it out, semi portable goes up and down depending on what is needed at the time. The heavy stuff is on wheels, including a 4 x 8 welding table, I just move what i don't need out of the way. Jacks go on the table, most everything is portable on wheels. The shop will fit my crx when everything is put away. The yard equipment is in a lean to off the rear.
    Regards
    Dave

I feel your pain, I had to downsize from 4800 sq-ft down to a 10' x 15' spot in the garage. As others have said, wheels, racks, shelves, and anything else to get stuff out of the way when you need to move around. I have a big piece of butcher block counter on top of my table saw when it's not in use. I'd think twice about getting rid of the mill and lathe, you might not use them often but when you need them there's no substitute. If you do decide to sell them let us know, I am looking for a small mill.

John

Current thoughts include moving wood shop to basement and welding in garage. Downside is wrestling 4x8x3/4 plywood down there.
    That's exactly what I've done. It works. 4x8's are cut down on the drive with a circular saw then if they need to be precision cut from that point, the pieces go down to the basement table saw. That's all you can do sometimes in a hoa "neighborhood".

Fellow Long Islander here...

I don't have much of a solution for you but I certainly know the struggle of living out here and wanting to have a real shop.

I use a 1 car detached garage and I have done what I can to make every inch of it as functional as possible from the floor to the walls and ceiling I use everything. I also have everything possible on casters.

Hopefully some day when I have $2,000,000 to drop on a house (never) I can get something with a larger garage. I've considered renting an industrial space but the $3000 a month it would cost me is better spent towards that bigger house i'll never buy.
    www.FirehouseFabricators.com

Lincoln 210mp
    Lincoln SW200
    Hypertherm Powermax 45xp