Downsizing .... big time. - Page 2
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Downsizing .... big time.

I work in a small shop, so I know the struggle. Modularity and mobility are key for my setup. Almost everything is on castors, and everything serves multiple purposes. For example; I've got saw horses that bolt onto my certiflat table for more flat fab space. I also have conveyor rollers that I can bolt onto them to use for outfeed rollers. I've also got a chopsaw stand that bolts onto it. I reconfigure them depending on the job and the phase of work I happen to be in.

I've also got a rolling scaffold set up as a material rack. I can store multiple tiers of materials on them, but they are still(somewhat) mobile if I need to rearrange. The weight limit is restrictive, they are only(safely) rated for 800lbs between the two. But they are still incredibly handy. If you're in the right place at the right time, you can find dented up shopping carts that stores are just throwing away. They are great for small drops and scraps.

Another thing is, go vertical. Don't waste precious floorspace on stuff that isn't being used regularly. Overhead storage is great. It works both ways too, got empty space under your table? I bolted toolboxes in under mine, along with a bar to hold all my clamps and grinders. I store sheets upright against the wall, and have a couple eyebolts with a chain and carabiner to secure them.

Annnd, another thing. Unistrut is great stuff. You can fabricate all sorts of attachments for it. Great for modularity. I use it in place of pegboard for some things. Good if you want to solidly attach a thing to a thing, but not necessarily permanently.
    ═══════════════════════════════════════════

Quote Originally Posted by henry42 View Post
    So right now I got let's call it a 1500 square ft shop which I rent.

But a few months from now I'll be giving it up and be needing to cram it all into much less space.

The half of the garage I'm already using is filled with the wood shop. But I still need space to weld and paint (spray). And no the other half of the garage is off limits!!

Can't build an accessory structure on my property due to zoning.
    Renting another space is out.

Creative suggestions welcome.

Current thoughts include moving wood shop to basement and welding in garage. Downside is wrestling 4x8x3/4 plywood down there. Other thought is putting one or the other operation in a trailer. Don't think that a cargo container will keep neighbors happy or be legal.

This all will be for about 5 years until I can move as far away as I can from this snobbery rule infected suburbia.

And another factor is that currently I'm in long island ny so it's cold here in the winter ruling out working under a tent.

To lighten the load I will be selling my mini mill and lathe. Don't use them enough.

I'm sure there are smarter/ more imaginative folks here to give me some fodder for thought.

Thank you all in advance.
    Couple of things I did, I'm in the same boat as you, for different reasons. I'm 66, with no desire to move and I ran out of land to legally build a bigger shop. When I built my garage, 26x40 it was going to be strictly for woodworking as I owned an auto repair shop so I didn't do any mechanical repairs at home.
    When I retired from the shop I moved a lot of my mechanical tools home, which filled my garage and made it impossible to do any work. And as you know, woodworking and metal working do not mix very well. So I got a little creative.
    First off if you get rid of some tools, you will regret it for the rest of your days. So don't, I got rid of a couple of tools I thought I could do without and have regretted it ever since. So I added loft space to my garage, and bought a used 3x4 mobile platform lift on casters to use as an elevator to bring tools up and down. the other major improvement was building a 13x26 good quality portable garage beside my shop on a concrete slab attached to my driveway so I can wheel bigger tools in and out of the garage with a pallet jack.
    Between the 2 it has made life a lot easier. When I transition from a wood project to a metal or mechanical project it only takes a few hours and I have a nice shop to work in.

Just my 2-1/2 cents. Eric

PS. Oh, and I have a 2 post lift that was always in the way so I made the middle post roll on a trolly hanging from the center beam in the shop and roll it out of the way anytime it's not in use, only takes about 3 minutes to move out or set up.

PPS. I go out to your little Island once a week when the season starts now, for a retirement job I started driving truck so I deliver fertilizer to the farms and vineyards on the forks. I get as far a Islandia occasionally , but mostly the North Fork. With occasional jonts to the Hampdens.
    Last edited by EricJ; 03-31-2019 at 05:59 AM.

Well... I have a similar issue with what I have to work with... I have 3 kids in college at the moment and just biding my time until they all finish (about 2 more years).. then, I am going out to have a small house built for me and the Mrs's... and a nice steel building 20x40 would work for me! ... But, for now this is my "shop"... I do a lot of my work out on the driveway on the weekends... smaller projects I can handle in this tiny garage... The wife has some of her stuff in here and sometimes it gets under my skin.. but I don't like "couch neck" in the morning do I don't make a big stink over it! ... Its a little tough but, I am thankful that at least I have a place to work out of! .. I have a small steel rack out back hat I keep covered with tarps.

Name:  shop1.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  125.8 KB

Name:  shop2.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  145.2 KB

Name:  shop3.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  117.8 KB
    Kell in Florida

Everlast Powertig 200
    Everlast Supercut 51P Plasma

Several vintage Idealarc 250 Round Tops
    Miller Dialarc 250 AC/DC - circa 1976

"I don’t care that they stole my idea … I care that they don’t have any of their own."