Replacement for Zirtung
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Replacement for Zirtung

What would the closest replacement for the old, much-lauded Zirtung tungsten be? I believe it was .03% zirconiated.

There are a few manufactures who make a .3 in addition to a couple that offer .8. I've used both and it seems that the .8 takes a little more heat than the .3 which isn't surprising.

I've got a sample of the .3% Diamond Ground and the .8% CK brand. I haven't ever used the .8% Wolfram offerings, but man that stuff is expensive. A 1/8" 10-pack is about $140. (Diamond Ground house brand .3% is about $50 for 10 sticks)

One thing I have noticed is that the .8 percent stuff in 3/32" will almost handle 200 amps while the .3 percent starts to get pretty shaky at around 175A. Having just a little more headroom is nice of course before having to got to a 1/8" tungsten. This with my balance setting on 7.

Any thoughts?

My machine is a Lincoln Square Wave TIG 355.

Thanks!

Re: Replacement for Zirtung

Yea the Wolfram is supposed to be the sh!t, I got a sample 3/32" (2% Lan.) at Fabtech and a 20% discount code if I decide to order.
    Does the .8% not meet your needs?
    Can you jump up to a 1/8" .8% and accomplish what you need?
    Richard

I see you are tigging old school.

The latest and greatest for both old school and new school is 2% lanthanated for AC without balling. This place has reasonable pricing for 3/32 or 1/8" tungsten. https://www.usaweld.com/Tungsten-s/59.htm
    Weld like a "WELDOR", not a wel-"DERR"
    MillerDynasty700DX,Dynasty350DX3ea,Dynasty200DX,Th ermalArc400GTSW,LincolnSW2002ea., MillerMatic350P,MillerMatic200withspoolgun,MKCobra Mig260,Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm1250,HFProTig3ea.

If you happen to have Amazon prime, Midwest tungsten has some decent prices with "free" shipping.
    1/16" is $12.99, 3/32" is $21.49 and 1/8" is $31.99

Quote Originally Posted by LtBadd View Post
    Yea the Wolfram is supposed to be the sh!t, I got a sample 3/32" (2% Lan.) at Fabtech and a 20% discount code if I decide to order.
    Does the .8% not meet your needs?
    Can you jump up to a 1/8" .8% and accomplish what you need?
    I too was at Fabtech (but wasn't offered a discount code at the DGP booth) and got the sample of .3% DGP zirconiated that I've been testing. Interestingly, the gentleman who was there from Wolfram at the DGP booth was telling me when asked about their .8% zirconiated that in reality, .3% was better and gave me a stick of the .3% brown DGP tungsten to try. He also gave me a sample of the new Alustar, but I didn't find it to be any better than the zirconiated despite it being quite expensive.
    I'm mainly looking for good quality with a smooth arc. I could step up to 1/8", but you know how it is. Larger tungsten means tougher starts, more expensive tungsten, bigger beads, etc. I would like to use 3/32" for everything under 200A, but that doesn't seem to be a viable option so I'll switch to 1/8" when I have to. I still like pure, but it has even less current handling capacity than zirconiated, etc. Pure does offer a smooth arc in my machine and I don't think I would be giving up much if I only were able to run it.

Quote Originally Posted by shovelon View Post
    I see you are tigging old school.

The latest and greatest for both old school and new school is 2% lanthanated for AC without balling. This place has reasonable pricing for 3/32 or 1/8" tungsten. https://www.usaweld.com/Tungsten-s/59.htm
    I tried the 2% lanthanated when I first got this machine and found that up to a point it worked well and then when higher amperage was attempted, it formed nodules and the tip takes on the appearance of Mickey Mouse's head while the zirconiated just stays in a ball. In other words, it didn't seem to offer much practical headroom over zirconiated. On my machine, zirconiated and pure seem to run the smoothest. I was mainly curious to see what current production tungsten is closest to the old Zirtung. I was also curious if the Wolfram offerings were worth the premium they fetch.

My impression is that the .3% DGP runs a little smoother than the CK .8%, but gives up some amperage capacity. I believe these are both Chinese-produced tungstens. My gut feeling is that the DGP stuff works slightly better. Perhaps their QC is more rigorous?