Shifter maintenance
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Shifter maintenance

Shifter design flaw.

You yota guys who had the 5 speed transmission shifter issues , most likely had a couple OEM bushing failures like I have in my 94. The spacer material softens, and allows the shifter to sink lower in the trans, causing a binding 3-4 issue . Previously the only fix was to order the same bushing and spacer from the dealer, and if you're lucky, not have it go bad again.

About 6 years ago, I bought a poly replacement that eliminates the separate rubber spacer, and keeps the shifter where it needs to be. I didn't have to take the shifter mount out, but it was seeping a little bit, so no harm, no foul. Sealed it all back up again, and cleaned the cover assembly up to make it Purdy.

Fun hour of fooling around.
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    T man.

15 + years working for myself, and by golly, I still don't know what I want to do when I grow up.

Re: Shifter maintenance

They make stuff tight in there, as I could barely get my fingers inside for the two forward bolts.

Silly Japanese engineers
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    T man.

15 + years working for myself, and by golly, I still don't know what I want to do when I grow up.

I gotz me those new fangled autiomatic tranmizzions....they donts even have fill tubes on them anymore..factory filled till it goes bust...

No fill tube ? How do you change the fluid ?
    T man.

That brings back memories! I had an '85, and an 88 or something.. The 85 had an L52? transmission, with a LONG shifter rod. I don't know how many times I replaced that bushing. The newer one, the 88 or whatever, was just to pull parts off of. It had a G or W something transmission that looked a lot like yours. The L52 was the weakest of the various transmissions from that era, but it outlasted my truck. I gave both of them away w/ a bunch of extra differentials and transfer cases many moons ago.

edit- I think the 88 or something was a 91... all I can remember was it was newer than my 85 (well, 85 4wd with 87 2wd body and bed).

Quote Originally Posted by T man View Post
    No fill tube ? How do you change the fluid ?
    you dont...you would have to bring it back to toyota but they say dont bother till you have like 100k on it, also there are no fuel filters to change, at 50k you can drop the tank and clean the screen if you have any issues, but no disposable fuel filter..

My 2002 explorer doesn’t have a fill tube

Wow.

My newest vehicle is my 07 Fuso. All my vehicles are pre 03. I bought them from this neighbor up the block. I think his last name is Rubble.

Yeah, Barney sold me all my vehicles...
    T man.

Now let’s see if u can shift it with only using the clutch once to take off, run it up and down the gears with out using the clutch.

Why?

Prematurely wear out my clutch disc, and transmission synchros?

Or is it some kind of act that proves I belong to the He-Man Woman Haters Club?
    T man.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbytime View Post
    I gotz me those new fangled autiomatic tranmizzions....they donts even have fill tubes on them anymore..factory filled till it goes bust...
    Land Rovers were/are the same way. There is a fill/level plug in the side of the case however.
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    '68 Red Face Code #6633 project
    Star Jet 21-110

Save Second Base!

Easier on the knee that way and u can’t put it in 1st going for 3rd. Other good reasons also. It’s not bad for it if you know what your doing.

How do you wear the clutch disk when only using the clutch once?

I was talking too a guy at a steel yard and he said there driver used a s10 and didn’t use the clutch and after a year of driving it wouldnt even go into gear. Guess that guy wasn’t paying attention good enough to the gears. You gots Be on it no guessing. Got my truck with 239k. Has over 292 now.only time the clutch ever gets used is talking off, sometimes i get it stuck trying to pull it out of gear right before stopping and that forces me to use the clutch becuase it’s too low on rpm and locked in and no time to bump the gas to get it out. I Leave my house on its down hill driveway so I don’t even need the clutch till 15 miles later going into town when I have to push it in too take back off if I get stuck at a light.

I wanna make a you tube on it and have about 3 different cameras and actually say how to rev it and get it in gear doing a downshift . Not just saying rev it. Has to be revved up 50-200 rpm over what’s its supposed to go in at and no one gives that advice on YouTube. They just say rev it. You do that and ya you better have a strong tranny and be a quick learner or it ain’t going to last long. You gota look at your mph and rpm
    Last edited by motolife313; 01-09-2019 at 10:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by duaneb55 View Post
    Land Rovers were/are the same way. There is a fill/level plug in the side of the case however.
    there is a procedure where you can drain and refill the transmission with a process of adding fluid then draining again several times to get new fluid into the transmission and then finally getting the correct level with the fluid up to temp and opening that level plug.., as a flush from the dealer is not recommended in several truck forums..when I hit 100k ill look into doing a drain and refill...

Quote Originally Posted by motolife313 View Post
    Easier on the knee that way and u can’t put it in 1st going for 3rd. Other good reasons also. It’s not bad for it if you know what your doing.

How do you wear the clutch disk when only using the clutch once?

I was talking too a guy at a steel yard and he said there driver used a s10 and didn’t use the clutch and after a year of driving it wouldnt even go into gear. Guess that guy wasn’t paying attention good enough to the gears. You gots Be on it no guessing. Got my truck with 239k. Has over 292 now.only time the clutch ever gets used is talking off, sometimes i get it stuck trying to pull it out of gear right before stopping and that forces me to use the clutch becuase it’s too low on rpm and locked in and no time to bump the gas to get it out. I Leave my house on its down hill driveway so I don’t even need the clutch till 15 miles later going into town when I have to push it in too take back off if I get stuck at a light.

I wanna make a you tube on it and have about 3 different cameras and actually say how to rev it and get it in gear doing a downshift . Not just saying rev it. Has to be revved up 50-200 rpm over what’s its supposed to go in at and no one gives that advice on YouTube. They just say rev it. You do that and ya you better have a strong tranny and be a quick learner or it ain’t going to last long. You gota look at your mph and rpm
    Well now.

Every young man reading this will benefit from the immense knowledge you've put forward, and spend the rest of his days emulating you.

Kudos to you, Senior.
    T man.

Driving without the clutch is normal, I used to do it in my TR-4, My '58 Pontiac and a Fiat 600. That's back in the day when EVERY repair was possible by an owner and most of us who did our own knew the machinery intimately. Now my F150 shifts down for a curve or downhill by itself and all you do is watch the gear-counter.

No reason to be sarcastic.
    Do not believe everything that you think.

That’s if they wanna learn too drive stick shift right. That’s the way I would teach someone if they didn’t know how to drive stick shift at all

Quote Originally Posted by Xsbank View Post
    Driving without the clutch is normal, I used to do it in my TR-4, My '58 Pontiac and a Fiat 600. That's back in the day when EVERY repair was possible by an owner and most of us who did our own knew the machinery intimately. Now my F150 shifts down for a curve or downhill by itself and all you do is watch the gear-counter.

No reason to be sarcastic.
    This thread was started over a repair of a shifter bushing. Momo troll boasting about his shifting without using a clutch has nothing to do with what was done, and the Sarcastic comments are a deserved response to your idiot friend hijacking this thread.

I regretfully made the mistake of addressing him in the first place. I should know better.
    Last edited by T man; 01-09-2019 at 05:51 PM.
    T man.

Name:  7A657956-F954-4CC2-8173-63239961CCB5.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  84.3 KBName:  8789C258-9137-473B-9F8D-DE7CC2B4CE7C.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  77.7 KBoh I’m sorry wrong thread. I was putting them in the show your girlfriend off thread. Sorry big guy
    Last edited by motolife313; 01-09-2019 at 11:19 PM.