Millermatic 200 blowing the 5 amp fuse
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Millermatic 200 blowing the 5 amp fuse

Started a new job for rigging outfit and working on a trailer, It's in the project section, I found out owner had and old MM200 buried in storage and didn't know much about it. So I pulled it, cleaned it some and convinced boss to throw a few coins at it, Wire, regulator flow meter, and some tips. Plugged it in and did a few practice welds on scrap, lots of power so let's put it to work. Well 5 minutes into it, lost 5 amp fuse, no fan, wire feed, no arc. So searching says try to eliminate the SR1 or bridge rectifier or such. Haven't had a chance to do that and won't till a little later. Can't remember because I only had 1 spare fuse but I think when I changed the fuse and powered it it held, think it was when I pulled the trigger it blew the new fuse. Any ideas?
    Machine is serial JF919390
    also going to look up year of unit. To bad, I hope it's not to bad to fix, nice little unit.
    Don't know if it matters but it's got over 50 foot of input cable on it, could that make it draw more than it should, Usually that would trip the load center breaker.
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum"

Lincoln Idealarc 250 AC/DC
    Millermatic 251 Syncrowave 300 30A spoolgun
    Lincoln MP210
    Hypertherm 45
    (2) LN 25
    (2) Lincoln Weldanpower 225 CV
    (4) SA200 1 short hood SA250 SAM 400

Re: Millermatic 200 blowing the 5 amp fuse

Built 2nd half of '85

Sr1 is ok if fuse does not blow on power up. Try removing the pcb then power up and pull trigger.
    You may have a short on the pcb. Fairly easy to fix. Just have to find the short. The pcb gets full power when CR1 pulls in.
    But Check the drive motor, there may be a short in its wiring. The fan should not turn on until the welder warms up.
    A rare shorted "W" contactor also could be a problem. So get a box of correct fuses. unplug different things and see what the problem.

Will do, have to play with it in between jobs when I get some time. Should be a good machine, the little welding I did with it was good.
    "W" contactor? You mean the main contactor where power comes in to unit?
    fan can be checked by isolating and applying power , yes? AC, DC volts?
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum"

Lincoln Idealarc 250 AC/DC
    Millermatic 251 Syncrowave 300 30A spoolgun
    Lincoln MP210
    Hypertherm 45
    (2) LN 25
    (2) Lincoln Weldanpower 225 CV
    (4) SA200 1 short hood SA250 SAM 400