Loading a MIG reel from bulk
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Loading a MIG reel from bulk

As you can see from the picture, I have inherited some 035 Lincoln mig wire in bulk. I'm trying to find a good way to get it onto the reel. My worry is that once I loose the wire that is keeping it bound that it will just fly all over the place. Obviously it is sold this way with the intent on winding it yourself, I'm just trying to figure out the trick. Now, I'm sure I cam MacGyver something, but before I try, I wanted to ask the experts.

Name:  20190109_135041.jpg
Views: 404
Size:  84.9 KB

Re: Loading a MIG reel from bulk

Build a wooden reel to hold it. Put some tension on the axle running through it. Build another wooden reel to fit into the plastic one you want to roll onto. Drive that reel with a drill.

And good luck.

Doesn't look to be worth the hassle. But to each his own.
    Lincoln Invertec V205-T Tig/stick
    Millermatic 211 Mig Welder
    Speedglas Adflo PAPR 9100 FX-Air
    CertiFlat FB2430 fabBlock U-Weld Kit Welding Table
    FW3012 CertiFlat fabWing 30" X 12" Extension Table

There should be spools available to hold that coil. its a standard size. Build a stand with a brake to set behind your machine, drill a hole in the back that will take a nylon guide and feed direct. Trying to load another spool will just make a mess of the wire without lots of tension and some sort of level wind device.

Yes Lincoln sells wire reals to hold those type of wire rolls. I have one or two out in my shop that I do not use because I did not see any benefit to buying them.

Actually after looking at that roll again I believe that is bigger than those reals will take. That one is the kind that they use with robots. I believe they use a different feeding system and they lay flat . Not worth messing with for the normal feeders out there.
    Last edited by thegary; 01-09-2019 at 07:53 PM.

Lincoln K1504-1 coil adapter is what you need to mount that to. For what you'll spend on that bad boy, you need to fabricate something if you're determined to try and respool the wire. Unless you can find one dirt cheap somewhere.

Forget it.

Well, on the bright side, I do have free labor... being a high school class. I've got three of these rolls. I may try having the kids roll from one reel to the other.

How many pounds of wire do you have there? For the cost of wire it's not really worth the time and energy transfering to smaller spools unless you have a lot of it and don't mind extra work.
    Airco Ac/Dc 300 Heliwelder
    MillerMatic 200
    Miller Maxstar 150STL

Don't lose the end...SPROIIIIIIIING!

Quote Originally Posted by gijoe985 View Post
    Well, on the bright side, I do have free labor... being a high school class. I've got three of these rolls. I may try having the kids roll from one reel to the other.
    Safety glasses

So, we did accomplish it. 3 students. We just did it with the empty spool int he MIG. One kid spun the spool, one guided the wire and watched for tangles and the other helped feed the wire off of the big roll. It was quite the process. But again, my team of 9th graders needed something to keep them buy.

Quote Originally Posted by gijoe985 View Post
    9th graders needed something to keep them buy.
    And That's the TRUTH about 9th graders!! (Retired MS Science teacher)

That spool looks like a standard 60# spool for a commercial production wire feeder. When I worked as a production welder for a factory in Michigan I used to go thru one of those every few weeks.