Sa 200 wont idle down
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Sa 200 wont idle down

Having some more issues getting a 63 sa 200 welding. I start the welder and it just doesn’t want to idle down. I have adjusted the idler arm and and throttle yoke at the carb per the book. I can lock the idler in low idle and it still tries to pull off the stop pin a little. The solenoid does engage when I put power to it but nothing happens to the idler arm that moves in and out. I am not sure where to go from here. I appreciate all input thanks

Re: Sa 200 wont idle down

Try adjusting the governor as per the book. Both high idle and sensitivity.
    piece of soapstone
    tape measure
    chipping hammer (wire handle type)
    tip cleaners

Vacuum idler? If so the felt is plugged or the diaphragm is leaking. Try loosening the delay screw, you may need a new felt.

Sounds like you've got the R-57 vacuum idler that 12V71 questioned. Could also be the needle valve (above the solenoid) is stuck open or it's air gap is out of adjustment.
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    '68 Red Face Code #6633 project
    Star Jet 21-110

Save Second Base!

Quote Originally Posted by duaneb55 View Post
    Sounds like you've got the R-57 vacuum idler that 12V71 questioned. Could also be the needle valve (above the solenoid) is stuck open or it's air gap is out of adjustment.
    Yes duane it has the R-57 idler i have taken it apart and tried to clean it up. Is the Felt underneath the petcock? or is it under neath where the needle valve contacts the solenoid? i did not see a piece of felt on either the first time going through it. Also should i try the air gap adjustment before messing with the governer adjustments? What can i use for a new felt? Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by 12V71 View Post
    Vacuum idler? If so the felt is plugged or the diaphragm is leaking. Try loosening the delay screw, you may need a new felt.
    I am gonna take it back apart again and look for the felt. If the diaphragm is leaking is there any test to determine that. Where can i get a new diaphram? Thanks again

So the felt was underneath the petcock but it was so smashed in there i had to use a bobby pin to to push from the other side. I also adjusted the air gap on the solenoid to point .20 i will have to test it out when i get back from Dallas. Sadly my brushes for my starter didnt come in today from Napa or i would try it tomorrow. I will be gone the whole week so i will update this coming weekend when i get back and can try it. Thanks to everyone who has helped out so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Texfan91 View Post
    What can i use for a new felt?
    You could go to a sewing/material store such as Jo-Ann's or similar to find felt material. Hobby suppliers such as Hobby Lobby may have felt material as well.

I've been able to restore existing felt by soaking with Brake-Kleen and working the felt to loosen it up.

Old timers and some newer owners have used the filters from filtered cigarettes as replacement felts too.
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    '68 Red Face Code #6633 project
    Star Jet 21-110

Save Second Base!