Dryer Outlet Splitter - Buy or Make? 10-30
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Dryer Outlet Splitter - Buy or Make? 10-30

I need to splitter for my 10-30r dryer outlet. I use that for my planner, jointer, table, and dryer. I’m over having to unplug them and don’t want to wait much longer to have my dad wire in some 220s and a subpanel. Been waiting 1 year now. I will only use one device as a time as it's just me and my wife here.

I almost bought the first one shown on amazon for $70 but feel I can make one. However, I’m kind of lost how the two boxes are connected to the single plug. Any tips would be helpful.

Anyone have tips on wiring the two 10-30 females with the single make plug? I've wired a VFD and other things but haven't 'tied' two outlet together like this before. I think I can make this for like $30 as I have spare 10awg wire. Plus I can make it this weekend and not wait a week for something to be shipped.

Name:  41qeZ0D4WdL.jpg
Views: 310
Size:  28.7 KB

Name:  s-l300.jpg
Views: 308
Size:  8.1 KB

Re: Dryer Outlet Splitter - Buy or Make? 10-30

I did exactly that as pic #1, since I haven't yet finalized my wiring in the garage, except the two female receptacles are standard 6-50R's for welder plugs. Not ideal, and most certainly not permanent, but it works just fine so I can have my plasma cutter on one, and one welder on the other. Hell I even added a third splice for a 240V heavy duty heater for the garage on a 6-30R receptacle. The wiring going to the wall receptacle is 10-3 and is CB'd at 40A at the panel. That's how it already was, and it's a short 15ft run, so I don't think there is any issue. The heater draws 20A @ 240V, and I even ran my MIG at ~185A and it didn't trip the breaker nor excessively heated the wires (I checked). Eventually it's all gonna be ripped out and replaced with a 4-4 run for 120/240V 14-50R.
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling signature!

HTP Invertig 221
    HTP ProPulse 300 MIG
    HTP ProPulse 200 MIG x2
    HTP ProPulse 220 MTS
    HTP Inverarc 200 TLP
    HTP Microcut 875SC

Here it is. Like I said, this is temporary until I finalize my upgraded electrical in the garage. I have to unplug/plug the dryer but it's no big deal for me. The important thing is that I don't have the dryer running consuming it's own amperage while I'm using the plasma/welder. It's always one or the other. The lugs in the 6-50 receptacles easy accept two 6awg wires so it's easy to piggy back one from the othe; they could probably fit 3 or 4, or roughly 3-4awg equivalent.

Not sure why it's not displaying my pics, but just click the pics to have them load on a separate page/tab. Depending on the exact route you choose to take, for example if you choose to buy a dryer cord with a pre-attached plug, your wires may or may not be the same as mine, more than likely they will not. The cord I obtained was a 4-wire and the black/red were already being used as the two 120V hots, and the white was already used as ground, so I kept that same scheme.

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=v...jd5YmfSSm1K5lI

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=v...adrQHSXFVtwfMR

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=v...WXo4emXgxOSUg3

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=v...5W431uDcFrds_c
    Last edited by Oscar; 01-10-2019 at 10:06 PM.

HTP Invertig 221
    HTP ProPulse 300 MIG
    HTP ProPulse 200 MIG x2
    HTP ProPulse 220 MTS
    HTP Inverarc 200 TLP
    HTP Microcut 875SC

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
    Here it is. Like I said, this is temporary until I finalize my upgraded electrical in the garage. I have to unplug/plug the dryer but it's no big deal for me. The important thing is that I don't have the dryer running consuming it's own amperage while I'm using the plasma/welder. It's always one or the other. The lugs in the 6-50 receptacles easy accept two 6awg wires so it's easy to piggy back one from the othe; they could probably fit 3 or 4, or roughly 3-4awg equivalent.

Not sure why it's not displaying my pics, but just click the pics to have them load on a separate page/tab. Depending on the exact route you choose to take, for example if you choose to buy a dryer cord with a pre-attached plug, your wires may or may not be the same as mine, more than likely they will not. The cord I obtained was a 4-wire and the black/red were already being used as the two 120V hots, and the white was already used as ground, so I kept that same scheme.
    What was the color of the fourth wire in the four wire cord ? Black Red White and ?

You say the white was ground. Are you sure the white isn't a neutral and the fourth wire is a green ground ?

In this case the color of the wire did not determine it's role in the circuit because the plug that goes to the wall outlet was not a moulded plug with a fixed wire color-prong scheme, but rather it was the kind that you open up and insert the wires yourself to tie them to the prongs. The plug itself was a 3-prong. Inside it, the white was was already tied to the ground prong, therefore decidedly making the white wire a grounding wire, in this specific case. Of course, white may be used as a neutral wire in a 4-wire appliance, since the other color in this 4-conductor cord was indeed green, but that is not the case here, as it was being used for a 3-wire appliance that only needed 2 hots and 1 ground. Why it was chosen to use a 4-wire cord instead of the more basic 3-wire that would have sufficed is beyond me; I didn't choose it, I just "inherited it" when I moved in because it was already here, so I used it out of convenience. Rather than cut back the insulation just to get the green wire to length (which would have meant I would have had to shorten the other two), I just chose to simply use the 3 wires that were already exposed to length.

HTP Invertig 221
    HTP ProPulse 300 MIG
    HTP ProPulse 200 MIG x2
    HTP ProPulse 220 MTS
    HTP Inverarc 200 TLP
    HTP Microcut 875SC

Makes perfect sense. Same chit different color.

White is green, I mean ground. Lol.

Yea, you'll be fine so long as the 10-3 wire run from panel ► receptacle isn't very long to avoid voltage drop. So long as you only use 1 device at a time, there should be no problem. I assume your breaker is a 30A? Also if you don't have Amazon Prime, it's great to get stuff in 2 days. Unless it's much cheaper from Ebay by like 10%, all this stuff (plugs/receptacles) can be found on Amazon for good prices and 2-day shipping.

HTP Invertig 221
    HTP ProPulse 300 MIG
    HTP ProPulse 200 MIG x2
    HTP ProPulse 220 MTS
    HTP Inverarc 200 TLP
    HTP Microcut 875SC

I installed a 10-30r on the side of my dryer, wired it up with SO cable.
    It's been that way since 2010.
    old Miller spectrum 625
    Lincoln SP-135 T, CO2+0.025 wire
    Miller model 250 and WP-18V torch
    Craftsman 100amp AC/DC and WP-17V torch
    Century 115-004 HF arc stabilizer
    Home made 4 transformer spot welder
    Home made alternator welder