10 January 2004 the beginning
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Fifteen years ago on a Saturday the doors of a small ignored welding site got ripped open because the Friday afternoon before ITW Corporate had demonstrated its might.

ITW learned of the Law of Unintended Consequences.

Of the men who opened the doors at least three, to my knowledge have passed from this Earth. Wyoming Roy retired from years sitting in a locomotive and moved to the home he and his wife set up to enjoy retirement, and died not long after. Marco, the friendly Welding Funeral Director was taken down by Liver Cancer a few years back. RockyD also retired to his home shop to play with is bike, welders and toys as well as continue breeding AmStaf pups. Retirement for Rocky took a downturn and Cancer took him from this world in 2018.

An inventory of the present active membership indicates most of the founders have walked away from this site.

Over the 15 years many things have happened, men have scattered to other pursuits and to other corners of the world. Times have changed, the world has endured much, and sadly much of what the old master journeymen sought to pass to younger men has been discarded by the young. Such is the nature of mankind.

Don’t let the door hit you in the azz

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    1961 Lincoln Idealarc 250
    HTP 221

True Wisdom only comes from Pain.

Re: 10 January 2004 the beginning

There is a huge wealth of experience and knowledge on this forum, and I for one have always appreciated ‘old timers’ taking the time to share what they know. It seems the old advice about listening closest to the ones who talk the least is fairly true. Straightforward advice/knowledge/input from guys like CEP, HT2, zap, Dave, Mick, and many others makes this forum great. (there are many, these are just a couple that seem to always have input that relates to the work I do and I know I’ve missed many)

Unfortunately, some of the mindless bs that gets spewed (typically by a few specific members) into the middle of otherwise interesting and useful threads makes reading less enjoyable and less informative.

Mods have a tough job around here and don’t get nearly enough appreciation. I think if I were one, based on the response you gave in the other thread, I’d assume you were more trouble than you’re worth....

Not sure why I am posting here but I have been here a long time. I just sift though the BS and don't get involved with it. Not even sure what Virgils point is here.
    www.tjsperformance.com
    Dynasty 300 DX
    HTP 240
    HTP Microcut 380
    Hyperthem 85
    JD2 Hyd Bender and HF Hyd Ring Roller all in one =(Frankenbender)
    Bpt. Mill/DRO
    4' x 8' CNC Plasma Table
    Instagram: tjsperformance
    YT: TJS Welding and Fabrication

Quote Originally Posted by djd775 View Post
    There is a huge wealth of experience and knowledge on this forum, and I for one have always appreciated ‘old timers’ taking the time to share what they know. It seems the old advice about listening closest to the ones who talk the least is fairly true. Straightforward advice/knowledge/input from guys like CEP, HT2, zap, Dave, Mick, and many others makes this forum great. (there are many, these are just a couple that seem to always have input that relates to the work I do and I know I’ve missed many)

Unfortunately, some of the mindless bs that gets spewed (typically by a few specific members) into the middle of otherwise interesting and useful threads makes reading less enjoyable and less informative.

Mods have a tough job around here and don’t get nearly enough appreciation. I think if I were one, based on the response you gave in the other thread, I’d assume you were more trouble than you’re worth....
    I have no understanding as to why if a member doesn't like someone else on the site, that they have to continually instigate in that other person's doings. It's idiotic to think that one member or another has to razz, harass, bother or speak up when they know that they're doing it specifically to demean or antagonize the person they disagree with. It's usually done with the premise that they're just "goofing on them", which is a load of bull. They're doing it to be an azzhole, and to stir the pot as usual.

If you have a problem with someone, or something they do, address it with the moderators, and let them handle it. If the other person is in violation of the forum rules, they will handle it themselves. All the MODS here are excellent at what they do, and I agree, are truly underappreciated.

In the meanwhile click on the person's avatar, scroll down on the left, and add them to your "ignore" list. This is the prudent thing to do, and limits the amount of crap we have to page though.

Welcome back Virgil. Hope you're doing well.
    T man.

15 + years working for myself, and by golly, I still don't know what I want to do when I grow up.

I need some popcorn. :-)
    Millermatic 252
    Syncrowave 250
    Purox Metalmaster

Quote Originally Posted by T man View Post
    I have no understanding as to why if a member doesn't like someone else on the site, that they have to continually instigate in that other person's doings.
    Fair enough and I agree with your point. I do generally refrain from getting involved....momentary lapse in judgement this morning I suppose. Sorry.

Some people just continually have the extra large spoon in hand looking for a pot to stir.
    Mike
    Ol' Stonebreaker
    "Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes"

Miller 175 mig
    Miller thunderbolt ac/dc stick
    Victor O/A setup
    Makita chop saw

Attached Images Attached Images  
    i.u.o.e. # 15
    queens, ny and sunny fla

Quote Originally Posted by djd775 View Post
    Fair enough and I agree with your point. I do generally refrain from getting involved....momentary lapse in judgement this morning I suppose. Sorry.
    Please don't be sorry to me. My post wasn't directed at you , and by quoting you, I was agreeing with your statements. My apologies for not clarifying that.
    T man.

15 + years working for myself, and by golly, I still don't know what I want to do when I grow up.

As I wasn’t here at the beginning,can
    someone explain to me the role of
    ITW and the “ Law of unintended
    consequences “?
    But I have also been thinking of some
    of the really knowledgeable, helpful members
    from 8-9 years ago (when I found this site)
    who don’t post any longer , either because
    they have left the site or passed on.
    Miller a/c-d/c Thunderbolt XL
    Millermatic 180
    Purox O/A
    Smith Littletorch O/A
    Hobart Champion Elite

can someone explain to me the role of ITW and the “ Law of unintended consequences “?
    I am not sure it matters since this forum was sold and came under new ownership/management at least once since I have been here. And there are still a core of old timers who have been around forever like Zap, JohnT, ZTFab, etc.
    Millermatic 252
    Syncrowave 250
    Purox Metalmaster

I just look at the pictures. I like pictures.

12v battery, jumper cables, and a 6013.
    I only have a facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/pages/VPT/244788508917829

Quote Originally Posted by VPT View Post
    I just look at the pictures. I like pictures.

]

Pictures are good.

Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    HTP 221

Quote Originally Posted by John T View Post
    Pictures are good.

I wish my shop looked like that. No, not the clean floor, lots of tables, etc................I don't have that one really nice looking piece of equipment in the picture. Damn.

Hi there..

...zap!

I am not completely insane..
    Some parts are missing

Professional Driver on a closed course....
    Do not attempt.

Just because I'm a dumbass don't mean that you can be too.
    So DON'T try any of this **** l do at home.

She needs some protection on her arms. Hate to see her get burned.

John and arcflash beat me to it.

If there was a god, she would flash me more than a Miller.
    Thunderbolt AC/DC
    330AB/P + Bernard cooler
    Syncrowave 250
    Oxy/Ace torch
    Dayton 160 MIG
    6CF pot with 185 compressor
    Too much big equipment
    Even more small tools

There is a lot of great info here, and we've lost some greats. Guys like Doug, Irish Fixit… the list goes on. Time takes it's toll and I've seen what 50 yrs does to butts in tight jeans too. Good reminder Virgil.
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A

Les

So was this virg’s last post?
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, L-tec, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

Quote Originally Posted by N2 Welding View Post
    So was this virg’s last post?
    Who gives a Phuck.
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    HTP 221

Some disagree but I think the political thread is a damn good pressure relief valve for the entire forum in that if someone wants a pot to stir it's the place to go. No need to stir pots in other forums with it available. I too admire the mods here in that they handle complaints well and hand out deserved warnings. If the warnings are ignored, swift retribution follows!! There's been quite a few unplanned vacations given here. Repeat offenders remind of the old saying about slow learners and no learners!!
    Mike
    Ol' Stonebreaker
    "Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes"

Miller 175 mig
    Miller thunderbolt ac/dc stick
    Victor O/A setup
    Makita chop saw

Welders are a traditionally tough bunch and hard to get to know( especially of-on these electro-thingamabobz).
    We are what we are. Some got it from their mentors but I think a good bit is a desire to be left alone and allowed to get things done.

Carpenters are another lot/ They wanna work with another guy or 3, BS all day and tell jokes etc etc.I was a union carpenter a few years. Good times there too.

I like the things I do now.I'm more of a teacher than anything else and like to make kids STOP and think to realize what it will look like AFTER it's done.
    That's when you realize if the guy needs to move on or not.A craftsman HAD to have the final picture in his brain and work toward that while ignoring the mangled crap that awaits his hammer tomorrow morning.

I bet when God went down to Noah he said "nigga you crazy" ? "Yeah. I can build the thing"

I thought there was going to be more pics.
    12v battery, jumper cables, and a 6013.
    I only have a facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/pages/VPT/244788508917829