140 amp mig question
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

140 amp mig question

So I was looking into the Hobart handler 210 mvp for portability reasons vs my lincoln 180hd. alot of the stuff I currently seem to be welding is 1/8" plate which I can weld just fine now with stick or flux core. It would just save alot of time and effort if I could just throw a little 110v machine in my truck and use the customers power or have a machine small enough that I could just plug it in and not have to fire up my generator every time I need to weld. Right now currently I need to take my generator every where when I weld something so that I know I'll have 230v and that does become a hassle. so to have a dedicated mig welder thats also portable I was looking into the 210 mvp from hobart. I was just wondering if it could weld 1/8" plate off the 110 side with a max amp output being 140. I've never welded with a 110v machine before so I don't really know. I also couldn't find anything on the internet on running this machine off 110v. Anyone try this with theirs? I've also never had my lincoln set up for mig. Its more like a dedicated flux core machine with all the outside welding I've done so welding with mig on a machine thats not bolted down to a factory floor would also be a first for me.

Re: 140 amp mig question

I used to own a Hobart 130 and then a 210.

The 130 welded 1/8” just fine. The duty cycle was **** and I can’t say I welded a skyscraper with it but for general non critical projects it was fine. The 210 has a much better duty cycle i never exceeded it on 1/8” material

Something to consider with relying on a 110 machine and tbe customers power supply, in residential spaces and some
    Commercial you’re gonna be dealing with 15amp outlets when you really need a dedicated 20 amp minimum. You’ll also need a good quality heavy gauge extension cord as well.

You can run the machine off of a 15amp supply for a very short time before you trip the breaker. If you’re any good distance from the outlet you’re gonna lose a lot of juice too especially if you don’t have a thick enough cord.
    www.FirehouseFabricators.com

Lincoln 210mp
    Lincoln SW200

I think the lincoln 210MP is a little bit more portable, at half the weight. I costs a little bit more but you get stick capability too. I've used the lincoln around my factory, frequently using 115v 15a lines, and it has worked well. Good for small stuff like conveyors, and rails, and machine guards etc. I haven't used the Hobart, but people say its a good machine too. Using 115v lines to weld is always a crap shoot, you never really know how much you can get from a circuit until you use it. Buy or make a good quality cord, try to find a plug close to the electrical panel. My old electrician would often put a heavy duty(20a) quad outlet right on the side of the panel when when he installed them or did work. That way he had a place to plug in his equipment (puller, bender, bandsaw, etc.), other people may do the same thing. I wonder how the Hobart compares to the Lincoln in current draw at 115v.
    Airco 250 ac/dc Heliwelder Square wave
    Miller Synchrowave 180 sd
    Miller Econo Twin HF
    Lincoln 210 MP
    Dayton 225 ac/dc
    Victor torches

The increase in welding capability by using the 230-240V as opposed to 110-120V is more than worth the hassle of taking a generator, IMO. At this point if you're doing that much mobile work, why not just leave the generator on the trailer/truck, or just get an engine drive welder with a suitcase wire feeder?
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling signature!

HTP Invertig 221
    HTP ProPulse 300 MIG
    HTP ProPulse 200 MIG
    HTP Inverarc 200 TLP water-cooled
    HTP Microcut 875SC

Don't know how much they cost, but cool!
    Weld like a "WELDOR", not a wel-"DERR"
    MillerDynasty700DX,Dynasty350DX3ea,Dynasty200DX,Th ermalArc400GTSW,LincolnSW2002ea., MillerMatic350P,MillerMatic200withspoolgun,MKCobra Mig260,Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm1250,HFProTig3ea.

Quote Originally Posted by shovelon View Post

350 amps

Lincoln 210mp
    Lincoln SW200

That should deplete the battery real fast, lol. Notice how they dont' say how long it lasts, lol. I wonder if they do away with a DC-AC inverter since the output itself is DC, to cut the losses of power conversion? If it converts to AC, it must be one heck of an AC inverter! But I do admit, it's a nice implementation of a simple "battery pack" to mobilize a device. But I'm going to wait for the Wi-Fi 4G model with LCD screen so I can check WeldingWeb posts.

HTP Invertig 221
    HTP ProPulse 300 MIG
    HTP ProPulse 200 MIG
    HTP Microcut 875SC

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
    That should deplete the battery real fast, lol. Notice how they dont' say how long it lasts, lol. I wonder if they do away with a DC-AC inverter since the output itself is DC, to cut the losses of power conversion? If it converts to AC, it must be one heck of an AC inverter! But I do admit, it's a nice implementation of a simple "battery pack" to mobilize a device. But I'm going to wait for the Wi-Fi 4G model with LCD screen so I can check WeldingWeb posts.
    It says it can make 500 inches of weld on 1/4” material on a battery

Lincoln 210mp
    Lincoln SW200

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBravest View Post
    It says it can make 500 inches of weld on 1/4” material on a battery
    on the settings for 1/16" material, or settings for 1/4" material?

HTP Invertig 221
    HTP ProPulse 300 MIG
    HTP ProPulse 200 MIG
    HTP Microcut 875SC

Good question...

Guy in the video made a pretty lame looking bead too. I know it’s thin flux core but if i was doing a promo video is probably hire a guy to lay a beautiful weld.

Lincoln 210mp
    Lincoln SW200

Pick up the HF Migmax 215, try it out on 120v.

If it doesn't do what you need just return it.

1 year hassle free return.

I know the Miller 210 will do 1/8" as my Passport Plus will do 1/8" on 120v input power. They're both inverter machines and utilize the input power way more efficiently than transformer machines.

The Paasport will run 1/8" Aluminum like butter too on 120v.
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.com/
    MM252
    MM211 (Sold)
    Passport Plus & Spool gun
    Lincoln SP135 Plus- (Gone to a good home)
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    SO 2020 bender
    Beer in the fridge

A 110/120V machine wont do shiit unless you get real serious with beveling and multi pass------with 030 and CO2.
    Dont get me wrong. I've done a ton of work with a lincoln 140 and a dual volt 180 stick on 110 on ornamental. No complaints. Just facts.

let's see that machine weld a pile point or bucket shank.
    i.u.o.e. # 15
    queens, ny and sunny fla

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
    The increase in welding capability by using the 230-240V as opposed to 110-120V is more than worth the hassle of taking a generator, IMO. At this point if you're doing that much mobile work, why not just leave the generator on the trailer/truck, or just get an engine drive welder with a suitcase wire feeder?
    Yeah I got a SA200 on a trailer at the moment. I used to have my 6.8kw generator mounted on a truck bed trailer. but some times for simple jobs it seems like it would be easier to just throw a welder and grinder in the truck as opposed to loading up all my gear or hooking up the trailer. Eventually Id like to have an old PennDOT dually with the Sa200 and generator mounted on it so I'm not wasting time loading and unloading all my stuff but for right now I'm just using my tacoma. Which also doubles as my scrap hauler and gets used for everything else I do. Just had a thought on the 210mvp when I was working on this guys truck.

Good question...

Guy in the video made a pretty lame looking bead too. I know it’s thin flux core but if i was doing a promo video is probably hire a guy to lay a beautiful weld.
    I saw that too. Perhaps that was done to farm code.
    Weld like a "WELDOR", not a wel-"DERR"
    MillerDynasty700DX,Dynasty350DX3ea,Dynasty200DX,Th ermalArc400GTSW,LincolnSW2002ea., MillerMatic350P,MillerMatic200withspoolgun,MKCobra Mig260,Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm1250,HFProTig3ea.

Yeah, but self shielded flux core wire sucks!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Don’t pay any attention to me
    I’m just a hobbyist!

Carl

Dynasty 300
    V350-Pro w/pulse
    SG Spool gun
    1937 IdealArc-300
    PowerArc 200ST
    3 SA-200s
    Vantage 400

Quote Originally Posted by CEP View Post
    Yeah, but self shielded flux core wire sucks!
    I kinda like self shielded flux core. but probably cause thats all I had for awhile. That was a good weld by the way. is that what you ran off your suitcase plugged into the SA?

Quote Originally Posted by Scrapman Industries View Post
    I kinda like self shielded flux core. but probably cause thats all I had for awhile. That was a good weld by the way. is that what you ran off your suitcase plugged into the SA?
    I was kidding about the wire. I’ve run tons of self shielded flux core wire.
    Here is the machine I used to make that weld.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Don’t pay any attention to me
    I’m just a hobbyist!

Carl

Dynasty 300
    V350-Pro w/pulse
    SG Spool gun
    1937 IdealArc-300
    PowerArc 200ST
    3 SA-200s
    Vantage 400

China freight has a new green machine 140 under 400.00 I don't know anything about but they have a good return policy if it's a turd, .030 flux core and a 130 amp machines have a place and are holding a lot of stuff together, I'm guilty of welding with one when to lazy to do with a bigger rig as long as you prep the metal/joint and use common sense with lower amp machines, I also like flux core,

Looks like a completely affordable $4950.00, mere pocket change for an avid hobbyist. It is a cool machine though.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC MIG/STICK/TIG
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    GOD BLESS AMERICA!
    “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
    We didn’t pass it to our children in the bloodstream".
    RONALD REAGAN

Quote Originally Posted by pat h View Post
    China freight has a new green machine 140 under 400.00 I don't know anything about but they have a good return policy if it's a turd, .030 flux core and a 130 amp machines have a place and are holding a lot of stuff together, I'm guilty of welding with one when to lazy to do with a bigger rig as long as you prep the metal/joint and use common sense with lower amp machines, I also like flux core,
    I've looked at the green HF welders, the wire feed looks to be decent, it looks like it's all metal.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC MIG/STICK/TIG
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    GOD BLESS AMERICA!
    “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
    We didn’t pass it to our children in the bloodstream".
    RONALD REAGAN

Quote Originally Posted by CAVEMANN View Post
    I've looked at the green HF welders, the wire feed looks to be decent, it looks like it's all metal.
    And they weigh about 20's if I was looking for a occasional use portable machine I would at least try one they might suprise you who knows, ya got 90 days I think to try them, they also make a couple duel voltage jobs