Who makes the best aftermarket rotors and calipers for a Pontiac Grand Prix - Page 2
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Who makes the best aftermarket rotors and calipers for a Pontiac Grand Prix

I just had to do brakes on one of our trucks not long ago. I have also switched all of our trucks over to nicopp and not a problem since. Otherwise I was replacing lines every two years.

12v battery, jumper cables, and a 6013.
    I only have a facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/pages/VPT/244788508917829

I've been a big fan of centric brand brakes. Rockauto has good prices but once you have the part numbers Google them as sometimes you can do better on Amazon Ebay or other sites.
    Lincoln Invertec V205-T Tig/stick
    Millermatic 211 Mig Welder
    Speedglas Adflo PAPR 9100 FX-Air
    CertiFlat FB2430 fabBlock U-Weld Kit Welding Table
    FW3012 CertiFlat fabWing 30" X 12" Extension Table

I'm sure this is going to piss off a lot of people, but here goes. I cant say what Rock Auto or any other internet parts store quality is and most likely will never know. I try to buy local, for several reasons, one its not much higher, 2 get parts quicker, 3 if wrong or defective, short drive to return, and last but not least I'm a small business and Rock Auto has never and will never buy a damn thing from me or any of us, the local parts guy just may
    Here's the thing. I don't shop Rock Auto for the prices, that's just a nice perk. I shop them because of the selection. All of my local stores (autozone, advanced auto, NAPA, etc.) just don't have what I am looking for most of the time (for my Chevy no less), and I get told they have to order it can I come back on Tuesday. I go to Rock Auto and the web site is set up well, the selection is amazing and delivery is fast. And around here, its as quick as the local brick and mortar. As far as quality, Rock Auto doesn't sell a house brand. its all name brand stuff: Powerstop, AC Delco, Raybestos, Centric, Bendix, etc.
    Millermatic 252
    Syncrowave 250
    Purox Metalmaster

I have used rock auto for many things and I may use them in the future

Like Louie said they give you different options
    So if you have an old beater and you just need to replace the turn signal mechanism you have option of buying the cheap economy grade or stock part.

But for larger items especially anything with a core charge I will buy it locally.
    Not to mention if the part doesn’t fit or some other bull crap.

Return shipping sucks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    1961 Lincoln Idealarc 250
    HTP 221

True Wisdom only comes from Pain.

I think Rock Auto knows what the local "chain store" auto parts are like. There used to be some good local auto parts places but they are slowly going away. Not just auto parts are having a hard time competing with online, it's a trend that been going on for quite a while. I buy online usually due to choices, availability and price. Still can't get a haircut online though.
    Ernie F.

Mo Hobby,
    It is a nice way to say the poorly engineered pos lost its transmission, power steering pump, 4 head bolts (known defect by fomoco), air conditioning compressor and several hoses, all in a years time. The van simply ran out of good parts, the law of diminishing returns applies here. Not worth repairing a van worth 600.00 with 2500.00 in parts.
    Regards
    Dave

I first look for good quality products, (Raybestos-Wagner-Bendix etc.) then I find the cheapest price including shipping that I can for said products. The last set of rotors I bought were power stop. Bought them on closeout off Ebay. I bought Wagner Thermo Quiet from Amazon warehouse for an extremely low price to go with the Power Stop rotors.

Always check Rock Auto closeouts, Amazon warehouse deals and Ebay before making your decision on which product to purchase.

I spent 43 years in the 'automotive' parts business having people buy from auto parts stores instead of the dealership where I worked. Now it's my turn to screw the auto parts stores.

Quote Originally Posted by metalman21 View Post
    I think Rock Auto knows what the local "chain store" auto parts are like. There used to be some good local auto parts places but they are slowly going away. Not just auto parts are having a hard time competing with online, it's a trend that been going on for quite a while. I buy online usually due to choices, availability and price. Still can't get a haircut online though.
    When I started out I got an "in" with the local independent regional parts supplier; got quality parts from a counter staff that knew their stuff and got the best discount(jobber or dealer, can't remember). I moved, then realized how good I had it. The nearest NAPA specializes in heavy and off road and can often research obscure or outdated stuff but their pricing is steeply tiered; if I don't buy $2000./month it is retail and then some... crazy pricing.

The national chains; IDIOTS! I went to O'Rielly for a few gallons of bar and chain oil, I couldn't find it so I went to the counter for help, got a guy that wandered around the store saying "I just put up some on the shelves last week, I don't know where it is", I left empty handed. Went to Autozone for a vintage GM exhaust; guy on the computer bangs on a few keys, very quickly says "nope, can't help you", I leave and I'm about to drive off and I see him waddle out to his car and take off, look at the clock- 3:01, must have been quitting time. I went back in where guy #2 spends a little more time and concludes " I can sell you some universal parts and you can piece it together" ... I leave because although I'm OK with that, I'm thinking there must be a better way. While at my next stop at the grocery store it dawns on me to look at the Walker website on my phone, I get the part numbers, go back to AZ and a third guy spends over an hour dealing with a cantankerous computer and crossing from a NA number... I suspect the reason for this kind of crap is the pool of "talent" they attempt to employ. Exhibit #1; the assistant manager at NAPA told me he was contacted by a recruiter for the soon to open local Tractor Supply. He wasn't interested but listened out of curiosity. For the store manager position they were offering $500/week with 15% employee discount after 3 months, supervising an assistant and a handful of part timers- $500/week to be responsible for millions of dollars of store and merchandise!

Anyways, with that over; I've always run soft linings with the idea that they grab better (stopping better) and they are easier on the drums and rotors, I believe there is something to that because I have never needed anything cut and the only drum I have replaced was due to a shoe hung up causing a small crack that I didn't like. I also think hard linings cause groaning and squealing. Recently I bought a set of Centric shoes for the rears on a F-series because of a bad oil seal- only 20% into the old shoes- found more meat on the old shoes than the new ones! any input on that?

Fleetpride is starting to stock light truck parts including brakes... maybe that is an option for some of us?
    Thunderbolt AC/DC
    330AB/P + Bernard cooler
    Syncrowave 250
    Oxy/Ace torch
    Dayton 160 MIG
    6CF pot with 185 compressor
    Too much big equipment
    Even more small tools

Stainless brake line: how nicely does it flare?
    The alloy stuff double-flares pretty nice.
    (At least I have better luck with it than steel)

Darryl

It may have been asked already but why do you need new calipers? I've never replaced an entire caliper assembly and can't remember the last time I had to replace a caliper piston and seals.
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    '68 Red Face Code #6633 project
    Star Jet 21-110

Save Second Base!

Quote Originally Posted by smilindave View Post
    Mo Hobby,
    It is a nice way to say the poorly engineered pos lost its transmission, power steering pump, 4 head bolts (known defect by fomoco), air conditioning compressor and several hoses, all in a years time. The van simply ran out of good parts, the law of diminishing returns applies here. Not worth repairing a van worth 600.00 with 2500.00 in parts.
    Regards
    Dave
    Ah, gotcha..

Quote Originally Posted by rustybronco View Post
    I first look for good quality products, (Raybestos-Wagner-Bendix etc.) then I find the cheapest price including shipping that I can for said products. The last set of rotors I bought were power stop. Bought them on closeout off Ebay. I bought Wagner Thermo Quiet from Amazon warehouse for an extremely low price to go with the Power Stop rotors.

Always check Rock Auto closeouts, Amazon warehouse deals and Ebay before making your decision on which product to purchase.

I spent 43 years in the 'automotive' parts business having people buy from auto parts stores instead of the dealership where I worked. Now it's my turn to screw the auto parts stores.
    well if the dealerships didnt screw the public in pricing they would get more business, years back I went to the dealer where I bought my 2003 silverado to buy new brake backing plates thinking it was a dealer only item, after ordering I figured for $hits and giggles to look up the ac delco numbers on Amazon and saw I could get them for HALF the price, now I wouldnt mind if the dealer was a little bit more, but not double, so I canceled my order with the dealer and bought them through amazon and never looked back...

Quote Originally Posted by labparamour View Post
    Stainless brake line: how nicely does it flare?
    The alloy stuff double-flares pretty nice.
    (At least I have better luck with it than steel)

Darryl
    with a quality flaring tool, no problem, they flare nice as can be, you may have to use a little more muscle as SS is not as soft, but the flares come out great..and thats with a double flare..

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbytime View Post
    well if the dealerships didnt screw the public in pricing they would get more business,
    Not everything at a dealership is overpriced. We used to sell most oil filters for $5. Seen quite a few non captive parts that were more expensive at the local auto parts. Napa was good for repackaging OEM and selling above retail at one time. Yep, a lot of the stuff was up there but people didn't mind purchasing aftermarket junk just to get reduced pricing. Aftermarket sheet metal was for the most part junk. Insurance co.'s spec'd Tawanese CRAPA certified. It's fit was as the name suggests.

I bought some bulk Dayco 2" rad hose on clearance . The local auto parts wanted $33. I paid $14.

As I said, quality first then shop on price.