S10 spider injector
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

S10 spider injector

I picked this up for 850 on Craigslist

Anybody have experience replacing the spider injector on the 4.3? It's dumping fuel like crazy, I'm getting 11 or 12 mpg

Re: S10 spider injector

Quote Originally Posted by MetalMan23 View Post
    I picked this up for 850 on Craigslist

Anybody have experience replacing the spider injector on the 4.3? It's dumping fuel like crazy, I'm getting 11 or 12 mpg

Are you sure that's the problem, injectors usually don't dump on there own, truck looks clean

Quote Originally Posted by pat h View Post
    Are you sure that's the problem, injectors usually don't dump on there own, truck looks clean
    Fairly certain

#1 it's only getting 11-12mpg, these get 17-18 easy, I've had a few so I know the range.

#2 there's a long crank to start problem, I checked the fuel pressure with a gauge, when the key is turned to the on position, the pressure goes to 60psi, normal. Then it bleeds back down to around 20-30psi which would cause the long cranking to start,

So there's 2 common causes of this, a bad check valve in the tank, or leaking injectors

#3 the smog pump is running overtime, it can be heard running on startup, and at times during driving, seemingly more often at low rpms, the smog pump (or secondary air injection system) injects air into the exhaust when the system senses an excess of unburnt fuel.

So considering all these factors I'm making an educated guess that the injectors need to be cleaned /replaced, the cleaning route may be cheaper but I don't have the downtime to do that,

Overall, not a bad score for 850

Over size tires can also play a part in poor mpg. have you plugged the sniffer in the tail pipe to see what the readings are?
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, L-tec, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

Quote Originally Posted by N2 Welding View Post
    Over size tires can also play a part in poor mpg. have you plugged the sniffer in the tail pipe to see what the readings are?
    I don't think they'd make a massive difference like that, I don't have a "sniffer"

no smog stations you can get a pre smog check for like $10-$20 ?
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, L-tec, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

Not in CT

CT should have some repair shops equipped with smog analyzers no? How do they know the vehicle is running as it should if they don't have a way to analyze the exhaust.

CT should have some repair shops equipped with smog analyzers no? How do they know the vehicle is running as it should if they don't have a way to analyze the exhaust. OK quick dirty easy way to tell if you are burning too much fuel. Does the exhaust smell like raw fuel is not being burned up?

Yes. .

I don't need to diagnose it, I was just wondering if anyone has experience doing the injector

I know you don't need help diagnosing it BUT, an engine running that rich should be throwing an oxygen sensor code.
    If it is not I'd be suspicious of one or more bad oxygen sensors.
    Sorry I can't help you with the injector.

Quote Originally Posted by rexcormack View Post
    I know you don't need help diagnosing it BUT, an engine running that rich should be throwing an oxygen sensor code.
    If it is not I'd be suspicious of one or more bad oxygen sensors.
    Sorry I can't help you with the injector.
    I was wondering why it wasn't, although I haven't read the codes in a while

Had to google "S10 spider injector". I'm not a Chevy guy so I'd never heard of it.
    I can see why you would arrive at that conclusion!
    Do they all fail?
    Last edited by rexcormack; 01-10-2019 at 09:23 PM.

It can't be a spider, it needs 2 more legs.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC MIG/STICK/TIG
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    GOD BLESS AMERICA!
    “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
    We didn’t pass it to our children in the bloodstream".
    RONALD REAGAN

I don't have any experience on it but this guy does: https://www.instructables.com/id/Poo...Vortec-Fuel-I/
    Miller Challenger 172
    Miller Thunderbolt AC/DC 225/150
    Miller Maxstar 150 STL
    Victor 100C
    Victor Journeyman
    Oxweld OA
    Harris O/A
    Smith O/A little torch

No, that's not my car.

Quote Originally Posted by CAVEMANN View Post
    It can't be a spider, it needs 2 more legs.
    Shoot, well I would be a spider if it was a V8

Quote Originally Posted by bigb View Post
    I don't have any experience on it but this guy does: https://www.instructables.com/id/Poo...Vortec-Fuel-I/
    I read that article, I was thinking of trying that. For less than $50 sounds like a good idea, but I don't want to go through all that trouble and put it back together and find out it's still dumping fuel

It's a fairly easy job. You have to pull the upper intake manifold cover to get to them. IIRC, you don't have to drain the coolant or do anything complicated. There is an upgrade kit that uses electric injectors instead of the OEM popet style.

When I did mine gm parts direct had the best price on the kit. I think it was about $350.

The popet injectors were problematic. You should be averaging close to 20 mpg on fairly flat ground. When I was driving my s10 loaded down in the hills with a ladder rack I was getting about 15.

Sent from my SM-T837V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by WTXBTUMOVER View Post
    It's a fairly easy job. You have to pull the upper intake manifold cover to get to them. IIRC, you don't have to drain the coolant or do anything complicated. There is an upgrade kit that uses electric injectors instead of the OEM popet style.

When I did mine gm parts direct had the best price on the kit. I think it was about $350.

The popet injectors were problematic. You should be averaging close to 20 mpg on fairly flat ground. When I was driving my s10 loaded down in the hills with a ladder rack I was getting about 15.

I know they sell It upgraded version without the puppet injectors, but I have not been able to find a part number for that online, all I see is OEM Style

ACDelco 217-3028

https://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-217-3...ywords=2173028

And that's a nice little truck, especially for that price. I wish I still had mine. It was a fun truck, but I needed something bigger, so had to trade it.

Ya Phil, 850.00 sounds kind of steep. As said above it is like R/R an intake manifold.
    www.tjsperformance.com
    Dynasty 300 DX
    HTP 240
    HTP Microcut 380
    Hyperthem 85
    JD2 Hyd Bender and HF Hyd Ring Roller all in one =(Frankenbender)
    Bpt. Mill/DRO
    4' x 8' CNC Plasma Table
    Instagram: tjsperformance
    YT: TJS Welding and Fabrication

I put the updated version on my v8 and have at least 100,000mi on it. No problems.
    Be sure to replace the fuel pressure regulator while you are in the intake. They do leak eventually and cause the same problems.
    Lincolin Power Wave 450, Lincoln Powermig 255, Lincoln Pro Mig 140, Lincoln Squarewave Tig 275, Miller Big 40 G(with Hobart Hefty suitcase), Thermal Arc 95S and Esab PCM875 in an already full machine shop.

Quote Originally Posted by propanehotrod View Post
    I put the updated version on my v8 and have at least 100,000mi on it. No problems.
    Be sure to replace the fuel pressure regulator while you are in the intake. They do leak eventually and cause the same problems.
    Maybe I should try that first, it's cheaper