S10 spider injector - Page 2
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: S10 spider injector

Quote Originally Posted by MetalMan23 View Post
    Maybe I should try that first, it's cheaper
    That's a real possibility and could also be where the pressure is dropping off after the pump stops!
    It would have to be leaking REALLY bad to cause the symptoms you posted but it is easy to check.
    Pull the vacuum line off the regulator, turn the key on, watch the vacuum port for drips.
    Usually the hose is soft and gummy if the regulator is leaking.

There is another forum currently discussing mpg with the 4.3l S-10’s. Might be worth a read. Several different toppics in there to consider for chasing down better mpg.

https://www.mytractorforum.com/111-c...l#post12184889
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, L-tec, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

Quote Originally Posted by rexcormack View Post
    That's a real possibility and could also be where the pressure is dropping off after the pump stops!
    It would have to be leaking REALLY bad to cause the symptoms you posted but it is easy to check.
    Pull the vacuum line off the regulator, turn the key on, watch the vacuum port for drips.
    Usually the hose is soft and gummy if the regulator is leaking.
    I'll try to check it out

Well I'm taking apart the IntKe to get to the plenum, and I already smell raw fuel so somethings leaking pretty bad

Ok so guess what I have it all apart and now with the fuel pressure guage on there, the pressure is holding just fine, maybe I tweaked somethjng taking it apart

Double ironically, I put it back together and it doesn't hold pressure anymore

LOL love it when that happens.
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, L-tec, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

Quote Originally Posted by N2 Welding View Post
    LOL love it when that happens.
    I hate this, how can people do this all day? Very poor design I might add

Quote Originally Posted by rexcormack View Post
    I know you don't need help diagnosing it BUT, an engine running that rich should be throwing an oxygen sensor code.
    If it is not I'd be suspicious of one or more bad oxygen sensors.
    Sorry I can't help you with the injector.

Agree They don't always throw a code...

I did have to pull the plastic wonder off of moms 1997 4.3 S10 but it was leaking antifreeze instead- new gaskets cured it.

Sorry- not being much help

Will say other than the coolant leak- it has been a very reliable truck .

Hope it serves MetalMan23 well- once he gets it dialed in.
    Last edited by 455dan; 01-12-2019 at 10:33 PM.
    1962 Idealarc Tig 300 300
    1974 Idealarc Tig 300 300 ( till owner needs it back)
    1988 Power Mig 150 (.112 f cap mod)
    2015 Lotos Ltpdc2000d plasma/arc/tig
    Victor 100 torch, 200- 210 Oxy/Acet gauges

Quote Originally Posted by 455dan View Post
    Agree They don't always throw a code...

My Caprice (96 LT1) would not throw any O2 codes but once the car went into closed loop
    the left bank started running extremely rich literally dumping fuel.
    I switched the #1 primary (front pre cat) O2 sensors side to side and immediately the right bank started dumping fuel.
    Replaced the bad O2 sensor and all good. Never set a bad or slow switching O2 code. The fuel (trim) iirc was off side to side though. When I have run into bad injectors they usually resulted in a particular cylinder miss.

I did have to pull the plastic wonder off of moms 1997 4.3 S10 but it was leaking antifreeze instead- new gaskets cured it.

Sorry- not being much help
    I'm hesitant to try taking out the o2 sensors,

The spark plugs looked like they hadn't been changed since it 2001, changing them out will help I'm sure

So I'm done for the night, the long crank to start problem seems to be gone, so that's good, now I'm curious to see what power /mpg difference it gets

Quote Originally Posted by MetalMan23 View Post
    I'm hesitant to try taking out the o2 sensors,

The spark plugs looked like they hadn't been changed since it 2001, changing them out will help I'm sure
    If the mileage is good and the oil looks non abused as well as Trans fluid and coolant which iirc you said was rusty then how far are you willing to go with this investment? Have you ruled out coolant/lubrication cross contamination leaks yet?

That would be my first priority. Make sure no oil in coolant/coolant in oil/coolant in trans/fluid and compression is where it should be? I think it's best to start with a known tested healthy engine before you start diagnosing demons. I typically start with a coolant in the emissions test.

This is what I use to start with -> https://www.walmart.com/ip/COMBUSTIO...4aAlFUEALw_wcB

If you know all the above to be in order then tear it down to the valve covers " with intake removed " and redo all the valve lashes and build up from there with new sensors/gaskets/seals/grommets/motor mounts etc etc etc. You scored a majorly decent deal if the Carfax checks out. In any case chasing the main problem can drive you nuts. But if you rebuild from the valve covers up you should have no issues at all. Make sure to measure for electrical values at each circuit to rule out electrical demons LOL... .. . Let us know in two months when you reached this point. LOL J/k

I'm in here learing about my truck at your expense. what year is that by the way? 2000?
    Last edited by N2 Welding; 01-13-2019 at 02:54 AM.

It's a 2001

It starts after one crank now, much better, before it was random wether it would take 3 or 10 cranks for it to start.

Idk if you can see those plugs, they're pretty shot.

I have not yet ruled out any cross contamination of fluids, there's a coolant leak, this much I know, I suspect the water pump.

Also there seems to be a btake fluid or power steering fluid leak, I can't determine which. Have to pay close attention to the fluid levels.

Coolant is nasty, I don't know how people can have vehicles and never do a tune up, or flush coolant.

Worst case I'll drive it for a while and flip it to make some money. I don't think I'll have a problem selling it for more than I have into it. I fixed quite a few things on it already.

Shoot I just remembered I only hand tightened 2 fuel line connections, I need to put a wrench on those before I forget, im surprised I was able to get home

Muah ha ha.... Ok well if it's a 4x4 then there is some money right there waiting to have some fun before you sell that BEACH! Just saying...