Question on bottles renting vs owner owned - Page 3
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: Question on bottles renting vs owner owned

There's a bunch of theories on size rent or own,age of the tank, I think its where you live, I never had a problem exchanging my tanks are from 3 different places, this is the second one I noticed with these markings
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by MetalMan23 View Post
    Having a bottle that is expired, empty, but its "yours" what good does it do you?

None whatsoever, but the bottles I have are the old man's, and he wants to keep them for whatever reason. Even though they are out of hydro and empty.

Checked with a local hardware store here that handles airgas to see what they'll charge for a customer owned bottle. If they're high I'll drive the 60 miles for the initial bottle and then exchange. If they're not too much more I'll get one locally.

I find it interesting that in this tiny town one ag store who carries airgas said I'd have to rent bottles, and that I'd have to go to the airgas location 60 miles away to do the paperwork, while airgas told me to check with another local ag store and that I would be able to purchase bottles at that ag supply place if I didn't want to make the drive to airgas.

Anyhow, looks like I'll be buying a bottle from airgas one way or the other, and will have paperwork to prove I own it.

Thank you for the comments. Mountain made of mole hill. LOL

My dad did the same kind of “these are MY bottles crap and would drop them off and have to wait to get them filled. Once I ended up with them they just went into the exchange rotation.
    There are 3 LWS close to me. If one gives me a hassle about a bottle I just drive to the next one. I have never had to go to a 3rd to get it exchanged. One of the chains subscribes to the if you have it it must be yours theory. I have exchanged tanks there that had “leased bottle#xxx” stamped on it. It didn’t seem to bother them in the slightest.

I have also seen neck rings ground down and numbers on the tank bonded over.

Anyway, yeah, most of it depends on who you go to. The likelihood of not receiving a good union carbide tank in exchange is small. If you think the tank you are receiving in exchange is questionable, then ask for a different tank. If you don’t like one LWS then go to another.

Quote Originally Posted by walker View Post
    My dad did the same kind of “these are MY bottles crap and would drop them off and have to wait to get them filled. Once I ended up with them they just went into the exchange rotation.
    There are 3 LWS close to me. If one gives me a hassle about a bottle I just drive to the next one. I have never had to go to a 3rd to get it exchanged. One of the chains subscribes to the if you have it it must be yours theory. I have exchanged tanks there that had “leased bottle#xxx” stamped on it. It didn’t seem to bother them in the slightest.

I have also seen neck rings ground down and numbers on the tank bonded over.

Anyway, yeah, most of it depends on who you go to. The likelihood of not receiving a good union carbide tank in exchange is small. If you think the tank you are receiving in exchange is questionable, then ask for a different tank. If you don’t like one LWS then go to another.
    This is why when someone starts the "we don't sell that size" you may have to resort to "show me black and white rules". I have en a lot of cylinders but never one with "leased" stamped into the shoulder. Names or initials are some times stamped into the shoulder.

A neck ring ground is a flag, a ground cylinder neck is a HUGE red flag. When a cylinder is scrapped it has the serial number ground off or X'd out.
    Last edited by vwguy3; 01-30-2019 at 02:45 PM.

jeepwmn69, i didnt read the whole article/issue, but i gather/guess they dont want to fill/exchange ur bottle. in my area, in my exoerience, my legit welding distributor would slap a small waiver form on the counter for me to sign, which states i own the bottle, reguardless to whos name is on it. then they would take the bottle on exchange. thats "common biz practice" as far as i'm concerned.