MIG Wire Amperage Chart - Page 2
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: MIG Wire Amperage Chart

Quote Originally Posted by MinnesotaDave View Post
    You're working way too hard.

I write down some common settings I like on a piece of cardboard and throw it under the door.
    Faster than fiddle-farting around a second or third time - in my opinion.

"A dull pencil is more accurate than a sharp mind."
    Makes more sense to me as well. A couple of settings where you have both volt and wire feed speed - or A,B,C or whatever your machine shows.

The 1 Amp per thou combined with the chart doesn't seem right either. The chart says 1/8" steel would be 200 ipm. MM252 chart according to Loui said 220 ipm. Miller welding calculator says 280-300 ipm. I have one source that says 350 ipm.
    200 to 350 ipm is a pretty wide range, making it more or less useless. Maybe better if I try it myself and then write it down and make my own chart.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete.S. View Post
    Makes more sense to me as well. A couple of settings where you have both volt and wire feed speed - or A,B,C or whatever your machine shows.

The 1 Amp per thou combined with the chart doesn't seem right either. The chart says 1/8" steel would be 200 ipm. MM252 chart according to Loui said 220 ipm. Miller welding calculator says 280-300 ipm. I have one source that says 350 ipm.
    200 to 350 ipm is a pretty wide range, making it more or less useless. Maybe better if I try it myself and then write it down and make my own chart.
    Just remember that the wire feed speed is tied to the wire diameter. Faster speed for smaller wires to reach the same amps.

Another problem is assigning a multiplier to each wire.
    This attempts to use a line to approximate a curve.

ADD moment.....**High school math warning** - lines are linear functions where curves are 2nd degree polynomials and higher.

Doesn't do a bad job, but it's not perfect.

Name:  mig wire ampacity.png
Views: 198
Size:  29.2 KB
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Airco 300 - Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

Just remember that the wire feed speed is tied to the wire diameter. Faster speed for smaller wires to reach the same amps.

Another problem is assigning a multiplier to each wire.
    This attempts to use a line to approximate a curve.

ADD moment.....**High school math warning** - lines are linear functions where curves are 2nd degree polynomials and higher.

Doesn't do a bad job, but it's not perfect.
    All the numbers quoted above was for .035" wire but sure another wire and it's another setting.

Yes, I've seen that curve before. Another problem is that you will enter globular transfer as you go higher on wfs and voltage.

And amperage depends on stickout and voltage depends on what gas you have too.

**High school math warning** - lines are linear functions where curves are 2nd degree polynomials and higher.

Name:  scared-face.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  24.4 KB
    Weld like a "WELDOR", not a wel-"DERR"
    MillerDynasty700DX,Dynasty350DX3ea,Dynasty200DX,Th ermalArc400GTSW,LincolnSW2002ea., MillerMatic350P,MillerMatic200w/spoolgun,MKCobraMig260,Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm1250,HFProTig4ea,MigMax1ea.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete.S. View Post
    All the numbers quoted above was for .035" wire but sure another wire and it's another setting.

Yes, I've seen that curve before. Another problem is that you will enter globular transfer as you go higher on wfs and voltage.

And amperage depends on stickout and voltage depends on what gas you have too.
    All very true. I have also noticed that Miller prior had listed 1.6 as the multiplier for 0.035" wire, but I see lately they've switched it to 2.0.

For 1/8" steel, they list 140-150 amps. With a 2.0 multiplier, that would be a good deal higher speed than 125 amps with a 1.6 multiplier.

I like 150 amps for 1/8" pretty often too.
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Airco 300 - Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc

Quote Originally Posted by shovelon View Post
    Name:  scared-face.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  24.4 KB
    Hahaha!!
    Dave J.

Airco 300 - Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc

I went to redneck high school in rural US of A, farm country. We didn't have no dayem 'polynomials' anywhere. Wurntt allowed in our town.
    "The things that will destroy America are prosperity at any price, peace at any price, safety first instead of duty first, the love of soft living and the get rich quick theory of life." -Theodore Roosevelt

The Nook-u-lar Apocalypse comes (Which is possibly, but not definitively, worse than the Zombie Apocalypse), the initial flash vaporizes your door chart, and burns the markings off the knobs...………………………………..

The Internet is history. The scientists, who got us here in the first place, are gone. And school's out (not a great loss, they can't teach kids anything these days).

The government is in disarray (like that's a new thing??). And Dr. Phil is a small pile of carbon somewhere in Texas (not a great loss).

Now yer back to doin' things my way

If I was to test a guy, I'd put him in front of a machine with unlabeled knobs, and see if he has the starch to set it up to weld.

Here at the compound, we're ready for the Big One. Two tons of Beanie Weenies hidden in a deep bunker, semi load of Bud Light cached underground, and a good supply of Waylon 8 tracks for entertainment. There's been an ongoing debate on the Uranus Board of Directors...……………………..Charmin, or Best Choice. Survival is gonna be tough, but it doesn't have to be uncomfortable

Its one of the reasons that I don't care to weld much at work anymore. I have been welding for the last 50 years and do not like the fact that they set parameters and then lock out the machine so you can not adjust it to your liking. Basically telling me I don't know what I'm doing. l also dislike the new digital pulse square wave SKS Feronious Miller digital welders!!! Give me an old Hobart dog house analog welder and I'll weld two hairs together.

JC

Quote Originally Posted by farmersammm View Post
    The Nook-u-lar Apocalypse comes (Which is possibly, but not definitively, worse than the Zombie Apocalypse), the initial flash vaporizes your door chart, and burns the markings off the knobs...………………………………..

The Internet is history. The scientists, who got us here in the first place, are gone. And school's out (not a great loss, they can't teach kids anything these days).

The government is in disarray (like that's a new thing??). And Dr. Phil is a small pile of carbon somewhere in Texas (not a great loss).

Now yer back to doin' things my way

If I was to test a guy, I'd put him in front of a machine with unlabeled knobs, and see if he has the starch to set it up to weld.

Here at the compound, we're ready for the Big One. Two tons of Beanie Weenies hidden in a deep bunker, semi load of Bud Light cached underground, and a good supply of Waylon 8 tracks for entertainment. There's been an ongoing debate on the Uranus Board of Directors...……………………..Charmin, or Best Choice. Survival is gonna be tough, but it doesn't have to be uncomfortable
    Now that's funny but oh so true. As far as testing Ive seen that done already no markings were left on anything and they would deliberately mess up the dials to see if you could figure it out on your own.

Every construction project I’ve done in the local Navy shipyard. They send you to Seattle to take the welding tests. The welding machines all have duct tape over the dials. First part of the test is to set the welder within the wire manufacture’s specs.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Don’t pay any attention to me
    I’m just a hobbyist!

Carl

Dynasty 300
    V350-Pro w/pulse
    SG Spool gun
    1937 IdealArc-300
    PowerArc 200ST
    3 SA-200s
    Vantage 400

What is ipm?

Sent from my LG-US601 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by dusterdude View Post
    What is ipm?
    Inch per minute. Wire feed speed.

Or itches per minute, when you make the life changing decision to drop trou, and take a whiz in a poison ivy patch.

The max amp numbers seem pretty low, I've welded at 480-520 amps for days on end with .045 wire without an issue, and my typical fabrication settings with .035 wire on steel down to 1/4 inch are 37 volts and 900 ipm, gives about 340 amps.

but I'm seeing that I seem to set my machine backwards, I think coming from using tapped voltage rather than infinitely variable voltage machines, i set my volts depending on the size of the weld I want, and up the wire speed until I get the bead profile I want keeping in mind that I always go for "whats fastest" including spatter, minimising clean up time is huge in the production shop.

unless i'm doing coded work then I stick to the wps, but there also still a range for parameters there so I go as high on the wire feed as i can and change the volts until it runs nice as long as its still in spec.

Quote Originally Posted by CEP View Post
    Every construction project I’ve done in the local Navy shipyard. They send you to Seattle to take the welding tests. The welding machines all have duct tape over the dials. First part of the test is to set the welder within the wire manufacture’s specs.
    seems like a dumb way to do a weld test, use the same wire with c10 and a 20% CO2, 2% O2 blend and the settings needed are vastly different, that why we have weld procedures.

I can kinda dig the effort but I don't pay attention to these sort of things.

Quote Originally Posted by ttoks View Post
    seems like a dumb way to do a weld test, use the same wire with c10 and a 20% CO2, 2% O2 blend and the settings needed are vastly different, that why we have weld procedures.
    In heavy civil, and marine construction we use self shielded wire.
    I’ve only been on one project where we used dual shield wire. Splicing these 10-feet in diameter by 1-inch wall pipe.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Don’t pay any attention to me
    I’m just a hobbyist!

Carl

Dynasty 300
    V350-Pro w/pulse
    SG Spool gun
    1937 IdealArc-300
    PowerArc 200ST
    3 SA-200s
    Vantage 400