AC/DC TIG welder recommendation?
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

AC/DC TIG welder recommendation?

Hello,

I am looking for some advice and recommendations for a AC/DC TIG machine. I haven't TIG welded in almost a decade, am looking to get back into it, and having bit of difficulty deciding on a machine.

I want an inverter machine as I want something small enough I can cart around with ease. Also, I want the versatility of dual voltage, (will help that I can get practice in at home and not just at the shop). I'm a buy once cry once type of guy. I don't want to get something that I will need to upgrade in short order or throw away because it craps out and is not worth the cost to fix. I want to get a new machine so I get the full warranty, and really not interested in searching for a used unit. My budget for the machine alone is ~ $3000.00.

The two main contenders so far are the AHP Alphatig 200x and the HTP Invertig 221 DV.

On the low end the AHP 200x seems like a good value, however I know I will want to change out the pedal and maybe the torch, which would end up adding another $200+ to the cost. I am also concerned with customer support on the Chinese unit. I know they have a 3 year warranty, however if I have a problem after the 3 years is up, will I end up having to toss it for the cost of repairs? Reviews seem pretty positive, but I have seen a few poor ones.

On the high end the HTP 221 with dual voltage. I have seen nothing but praise for the machine, and the customer service from the company; both of which are very encouraging. The ~$500 cost over the non dual voltage model is a hard pill to swallow(not to mention $20.00 over my budget, oh well.). One concern I have with this unit is the resale value. I have searched a bit and haven't seen any for sale.

If anyone has any insight on these two units, or has other recommendations that I have not considered, I would greatly appreciate it.

Re: AC/DC TIG welder recommendation?

I have the HTP221 and am very pleased with it. HTP customer service is second to none.
    Eventual master of the obvious, practitioner of "stream of consciousness fabrication". P.S. I edit almost every post because because I'm posting from my phone and my fingers sometimes move faster than my brain.

500 dollars extra for duel voltage is kind of crazy, I'm sure you could get 220v out to your garage a lot cheaper

You really can't compare the two units, their capabilities and build quality are so far apart. The AHP is not a great stick welder if that matters. It runs 7018 OK, but it has way too aggressive an arc with 6011, and will not run 6010. The HTP unit is a fantastic stick welder. I am not sure I would care about 120 volt / dual voltage capability. Regardless of the welder, on a standard 15 amp residential circuit, no welder is going to make all that many amps on the output side. The AHP needs ~45 amps input power on 120 volts to get to its rated output...that's crazy. The only possible way of doing that might be with a huge generator. Maybe. Most people don't even have all that many 20 amp circuits in their house. It really comes down to do you want to drive a Yugo or a Cadillac? Both get you from point A to point B, but they don't do it the same way. The HTP is the Cadillac out out of your two choices.
    Millermatic 252
    Syncrowave 250
    Purox Metalmaster

HF has a new one that's reportedly designed by an ex-Lincoln engineer. 1 yr no question return that can be upgraded to 3 yr. It's got quite a few features for about $1000. I don't own it but I might someday.

The size of the 120 volt breaker is not the problem it is the wire size feeding the outlet. Some might think just change the breaker and your good.
    Get a 220 volt welder and have it wired to the panel and use the correct size breaker for it and you will be much happier.
    DIY CNC Plasma table & CandCNC DTHC-IV MP 3100 Feather Touch option
    Hypertherm 65
    Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
    Miler 180 Mig
    13" metal lathe
    Mill/ Drill
    ECT, ECT,

The size of the 120 volt breaker is not the problem it is the wire size feeding the outlet.
    True, but I was speaking generically really. Most outlets are engineered for 15 amps...wire breaker, plug, etc.
    Millermatic 252
    Syncrowave 250
    Purox Metalmaster

I wanted a dual voltage tig welder bad for about two years, I bought the Dynasty 210dx when I really needed and should have bought the 280dx. I never paid much attention to the amperage needed to run on 115/120, on AC just tacking something together is a challenge without tripping a 20 amp breaker. Pay close attention to the amperage needed if you want to run on 115/120.
    Syncrowave 250 Tig Runner
    Dynasty 210DX Tig Runner
    Miller MM211
    Everlast 250EX
    Everlast Plasma 70

221 all the way. The arc is literally like butter. I have the 220 only version. I was brand new at TIG when I bought mine, looking back, i'm glad I stepped up to the plate.

electrician installed 2 more breakers for my welders.

Top 2 breakers are for dryer, would always trip, if welding
    and dryer was turned on, using same outlet, with 220 splice.

bottom 2 breakers go to separate 220 outlet.

No more, resetting breakers...

Name:  panel.JPG
Views: 215
Size:  172.5 KB

Charl

Quote Originally Posted by sand_man_red View Post
    HF has a new one that's reportedly designed by an ex-Lincoln engineer. 1 yr no question return that can be upgraded to 3 yr. It's got quite a few features for about $1000. I don't own it but I might someday.
    The lincoln is going for about 1200 now some sale going on, the original poster mentioned resale,