1959 Sa-200 woes
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

1959 Sa-200 woes

So i bought this machine running and welding probably a year ago. Started it every couple of months and it had no problems. Let it sit for 6 months and now it wont start. I replaced all the fuel lines and freshened up the carb (can smell gas when cranking) and put a new battery in it. Getting spark at the plugs and when put in the bench (i rechecked timing). I even took the valve cover off to check for stuck valves. Im at a loss on what could possibly be keeping this thing from firing. My last thought is maybe the coil got weak? I checked the condenser and it shows 0L so i dont think it went bad. Any help is much appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: 1959 Sa-200 woes

Have you taken all the plugs out and either spun the motor over or used an air gun to blow out the possibly stale gas in the cylinders. You said that it had not been run in 6 months and the gas that was in the engine may have gone so stale the it just won't fire.

take plugs out as stated above, spin motor with plugs out, give a small squirt of carb cleaner in each plug hole reinstall plugs right away and crank, if it sounds like it wants to kick over you have bad fuel, if it does nothing then you need to keep digging for problem...

I havent taken plugs out yet, but i kinda ruled out gas being an issue because it wouldnt start with some help from starting fluid either. Id get one little cough through the carb and then it would just spin. Almost seems like its spinning too freely. Might have to check compression if the gas isnt the problem

Years ago we had difficulty starting ours, it turned out to the timing was out a little. Good luck. John

Quote Originally Posted by Sparksmachine View Post
    So i bought this machine running and welding probably a year ago. Started it every couple of months and it had no problems. Let it sit for 6 months and now it wont start. I replaced all the fuel lines and freshened up the carb (can smell gas when cranking) and put a new battery in it. Getting spark at the plugs and when put in the bench (i rechecked timing). I even took the valve cover off to check for stuck valves. Im at a loss on what could possibly be keeping this thing from firing. My last thought is maybe the coil got weak? I checked the condenser and it shows 0L so i dont think it went bad. Any help is much appreciated!

If you can smell gas when cranking it over, it's probably flooding out. Sounds like the float needle is sticking open.
    1969 SA 200
    1963 SA 200
    1955 Short Hood/44
    1981 SA 250 D3.152 DC only
    2004 Ranger 10,000
    Lincoln Pro Mig 135
    Miller Load Bank
    Hobart GPB 258 Pipeliner
    Hobart GPB 261 Mainliner
    Hobart Airforce 250
    Everlast PA 200st

Quote Originally Posted by BYW200 View Post
    If you can smell gas when cranking it over, it's probably flooding out. Sounds like the float needle is sticking open.
    I drained all the fuel out and havent opened the petcock back up yet. Been trying to start it on just starting fluid. Im thinking maybe the spark isnt hot enough. The spark checker light i have only shows bright on the first revolution then looks pretty dim. I just cleaned points, set gap and im about to install a new condenser. Fingers crossed this gets it. Ive had the mag off 10 times now

I drained all the fuel out and havent opened the petcock back up yet. Been trying to start it on just starting fluid. Im thinking maybe the spark isnt hot enough. The spark checker light i have only shows bright on the first revolution then looks pretty dim. I just cleaned points, set gap and im about to install a new condenser. Fingers crossed this gets it. Ive had the mag off 10 times now

what do the plugs look like? wet, oily??? are they clean? did you pull them yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbytime View Post
    what do the plugs look like? wet, oily??? are they clean? did you pull them yet?
    They were a little oily. I threw in a new set just to rule them out

Update- I got nothing. Spark is stronger out of the mag now and showing its sending spark to the plugs. All the valves are free and move easily. Ive set timing by the typical standards. I left the carb off and just shot it with fluid to see if it would at least bite a little but nothing there either. Any recommendations are welcome!

Exhaust plugged with a rodent's nest?
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    '68 Red Face Code #6633 project
    Star Jet 21-110

Save Second Base!

just by the way you been talkin, - quit using starting fluid. double check your firing order. like i think hobby is getting at, if your plugs arent gettin wet from gas, it aint gettin gas

Quote Originally Posted by 123weld View Post
    just by the way you been talkin, - quit using starting fluid. double check your firing order. like i think hobby is getting at, if your plugs arent gettin wet from gas, it aint gettin gas
    Ill admit to being stubborn and not wrapping my brain around this. I followed the advice above to spray each cylinder with carb clean and sprayed the entire inside of the intake also. It fired right up afterwards of course! I guess bad gas coated everything and wouldnt let it spark. Thanks to all who chimed in on this!

Quote Originally Posted by 123weld View Post
    I usually pull the plugs an spritz some carb cleaner in each plug hole and replace plug and crank, if it sounds like it catching and then dies its a fuel problem...then start trouble shooting from there, if nothing then its something else.. when you pull the new plugs now see if they are wet from the starting fluid or still dry..

Ill admit to being stubborn and not wrapping my brain around this. I followed the advice above to spray each cylinder with carb clean and sprayed the entire inside of the intake also. It fired right up afterwards of course! I guess bad gas coated everything and wouldnt let it spark. Thanks to all who chimed in on this!

thats great, now get a can of sea foam and put in the new gas and let that baby run for awhile and then weld and put the engine under load..make sure you have some new oil in the crank case..

The sea foam is a good idea, but if you are not going to actually use it for long periods of time, a gas stabilizer will most likely prevent any future repeats of your problem. Glad you are up and running.

Quote Originally Posted by J. D. View Post
    The sea foam is a good idea, but if you are not going to actually use it for long periods of time, a gas stabilizer will most likely prevent any future repeats of your problem. Glad you are up and running.
    I use both....sea foam to clean out all the brown shellac junk and then the marine fuel stabilizer( blue stuff) to treat the new gas to prevent the issue in the first place..