Lincoln sw200 died, AGAIN!
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Lincoln sw200 died, AGAIN!

I bought my sw200 in August of 2016, and in January it crapped out on me. Had it sent in, and they replaced the power supply and motherboard. Ok, maybe it was just a fluke. Fast forward to 2 days ago, I was practicing on some mild steel pipe, turned it on, everything fires up normally I begin to get set and it shuts off, like you turned the switch off. No pop, smoke or unusual noise whatsoever so i figured it was a breaker... Nope. Machine is dead, again.

I love the machine, when it works.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk
    Lincoln MP 210
    Lincoln SW 200
    Lots of hand tools- NOTHING fancy

Re: Lincoln sw200 died, AGAIN!

Since everyone knows only Millers inverters schit the bed there cannot be anything wrong with it
    Hope they stand behind it for you.

It's still under warranty, so I should be good. I'd really like to see them replace the machine before I get a 3rd strike after the warranty is expired and I'm up $hit creek without a paddle.

Lincoln MP 210
    Lincoln SW 200

unlikely they will replace it. When we repair these, they are almost a new machine when done.
    About all we don't change is the case, gas valve and the fan.

Update- got the machine back about 2 weeks ago, and it was working fine. I was practicing by padding beads, running at 125a on DC when there was a loud bang, and nothing. It's dead, again. I don't get it. This is the third time, and this time I used it for half of a day. Do I need a priest and some holy water? I am at my wits end with this POS!

Lincoln MP 210
    Lincoln SW 200

Quote Originally Posted by Saz View Post
    Update- got the machine back about 2 weeks ago, and it was working fine. I was practicing by padding beads, running at 125a on DC when there was a loud bang, and nothing. It's dead, again. I don't get it. This is the third time, and this time I used it for half of a day. Do I need a priest and some holy water? I am at my wits end with this POS!

who is doing the actual repairs? a local shop or is it going back to lincoln factory themselves? did you get the extended warranty for 5 years bumper to bumper? its only $140.00 to get ....

The two-year extended warranty can be purchased up to two years after initial machine purchase with no increase in price. ... For more information on Lincoln Electric's two-year extended warranty, call (888) 935-3877 or visit www.lincolnelectric.com.Mar 24, 2014
    Lincoln Electric Announces Extended Warranty Program | Lincoln ...
    newsroom.lincolnelectric.com/.../lincoln+electric+announces+extended+warranty+progr ...

Did you pay with a card. Let the card company have " a lil talk" with the idiots.Lemon law type stuff.
    Then go buy an HTP.

Man that sucks. Unfortunately with the volume the big companies sell, there is bound to be a bad one now and then...

I think I'd call Lincoln directly and ask for a replacement machine.
    If they say no, then I'd go through your credit card company like said above.

Then I'd check your power supply for loose connections at receptacle and breaker box, power spikes and momentary brown outs (low voltage).

I just changed out a receptacle at school and the wires were extremely loose. I'm surprised it didn't get hot or arc or something.

I had a loose wire at the power pole once, one leg lost power about every second.
    My welding arc freaked out, I lifted my mask and half the lights were flickering.
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Airco 300 - Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

I am on a dedicated 20amp 110 circuit here, and the first time it blew out it was in a different house running on a dedicated 30a 220. I did pay with a card, and I didnt think of going that route which is a great idea. The extended warranty will be a hassle since I bought the machine in August 2016. Repairs are being done by general air in Denver. I hear ya on the htp, I've had it with this thing. I have a roll cage sitting on the floor waiting to go into my 67 firebird, but no TIG to do it with. Super frustrated to say the least.

Lincoln MP 210
    Lincoln SW 200

Not surprised. I know a guy who has blown his up 4 times
    Torchmate 2x2 CNC with Flashcut CNC controls
    Hypertherm Powermax45
    2015 AHP Tig
    Razorweld 195 Mig
    Razorweld 200ac/dc Tig
    ViperMig 180
    Razorweld, Vipercut/Vipermig, SSC Foot Pedal & MK Products & Atlas Positioner Dealer

Quote Originally Posted by Gamble View Post
    Not surprised. I know a guy who has blown his up 4 times
    Perfect....

Did Lincoln stand behind it?
    Lincoln MP 210
    Lincoln SW 200

Perfect....

Did Lincoln stand behind it?
    Yep.
    Not sure if they fixed or replaced it for each one but he still has a Lincoln Sw200
    Torchmate 2x2 CNC with Flashcut CNC controls
    Hypertherm Powermax45
    2015 AHP Tig
    Razorweld 195 Mig
    Razorweld 200ac/dc Tig
    ViperMig 180
    Razorweld, Vipercut/Vipermig, SSC Foot Pedal & MK Products & Atlas Positioner Dealer

Called Lincoln last week wednesday and left a message with the customer service rep (they told me he was out of the office), he called me back the next morning and said he would gladly replace the machine. I pick it up in the morning. Fantastic customer service! I hope this restores my faith in Lincoln!

Lincoln MP 210
    Lincoln SW 200

Great service, hopefully it's all smooth sailing after this but still leaves a sour taste in your mouth

Called Lincoln last week wednesday and left a message with the customer service rep (they told me he was out of the office), he called me back the next morning and said he would gladly replace the machine. I pick it up in the morning. Fantastic customer service! I hope this restores my faith in Lincoln!

3 failures and repair and Gamble saying he knows someone that has had theirs fail 4 times and get repaired suggests
    there is a design flaw. I suspect there was an issue with design a few years ago. Hopefully they have addressed those
    issues and you won't have any further problems with the replacement. Im happy to hear they did the right thing.
    When i grow up i want to be a welder

PRIMEWELD TIG225ACDCP
    Millermatic 215
    Everlast PowerPlasma 50
    oxy/ac
    Not enough talent to use any of it very well

That's excellent - replacement is the way to go in my opinion.
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Airco 300 - Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

Saz, you didn't have the machine in direct metal to metal contact with your work by chance did you? Jim

Lincoln has good people. They sent me an amp control from Mexico for free. The machine (AC225GLM)had been out of warranty for 25 years !
    Dude said " tranquilo hermano, no problema"

Quote Originally Posted by jmm03 View Post
    Saz, you didn't have the machine in direct metal to metal contact with your work by chance did you? Jim
    It was not, I keep my machines on a separate cart.
    Lincoln MP 210
    Lincoln SW 200

Quote Originally Posted by Bonzoo View Post
    Lincoln has good people. They sent me an amp control from Mexico for free. The machine (AC225GLM)had been out of warranty for 25 years !
    Dude said " tranquilo hermano, no problema"
    Very cool! I picked up the new machine yesterday, and they didn't want any of the accessories back so now I have spares of everything, to include the foot pedal!
    Lincoln MP 210
    Lincoln SW 200