Steel for Welding Table
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Steel for Welding Table

Took apart my welding table to move it from the garage to the basement and never reassembled it. Destroyed the base in the process (was the wrong size anyway) so bought new Superstrut to build a new base, intending on making it mobile with casters. The plan was for a 3' x 4' table with 3” between slabs for clamps. The longer slab was cut long to accommodate a vise. But, I don't weld much anymore and am now preparing for a move so I am selling the steel. I know it won't bring all that much as someone has to assemble it, but then again you get to build the table into the style and dimensions you like. Some of the slabs have a few holes drilled in them, not many, but a few, and the edges were plasma cut so could use a cleanup if you're a perfectionist. Otherwise they are nice, clean, flat 3/4” steel and easy to move as separate pieces. (The 36” long pieces weigh 54 lbs ea, the 45” piece weighs 67 lbs)

Steel Plates:

5 pieces, 3/4” x 7” x 36” (1 piece is 45” long)
    Bottom side is painted for rust protection, tops are clean metal.

Superstrut:

70 ft total
    4 10' lengths
    2 10' lengths that have been cut 80” 40”
    1 10' length cut 60” 60”

Didn't know how to price this. I know what it costs new from my local steel place, which is ridiculous, but rules say I have to put a price tag on it. So let's say $275 (that's about 40% of retail).

If I am out of line, please make me an offer, I need it gone and I hate to see it go to waste.

Pickup in NJ at 07945.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by AnOldman; 08-05-2019 at 02:07 PM. Reason: correction

Re: Steel for Welding Table

Just reduced. $225 OBO. Need this stuff gone. Surely somebody has a use for this.

I think you are going about pricing it incorrectly. Instead of scaling your price to "new steel", scale your price to the value of scrap. Post your price in terms of dollars per pound. Then compare that to what local scrap yards are selling steel for. Mine is currently selling used steel (let's face it, you cut it up and painted it; it's used) for between 25 and 50 cents a pound.

just sayin

metalmagpie

Ok. I see your point. 283 lbs of 3/4" plate at .50/lb = $142. Plus 70' of Superstrut which is another 140 lbs or so =$70. Total = $212.
    So i wasn't too far off it would seem. But, I'll sell for whatever it will bring. No many place around my locale to buy used steel, but let's take the middle ground and call it .38/lb. That would be 423 lbs x .38 = $160. I just hate to scrap it, but scrap it I will, if nobody wants it. Shame I waited so long...at one point I could have just returned 4 of the untouched Superstrut 10' footers for $110. Oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by metalmagpie View Post
    I think you are going about pricing it incorrectly. Instead of scaling your price to "new steel", scale your price to the value of scrap. Post your price in terms of dollars per pound. Then compare that to what local scrap yards are selling steel for. Mine is currently selling used steel (let's face it, you cut it up and painted it; it's used) for between 25 and 50 cents a pound.

just sayin

metalmagpie
    Last edited by AnOldman; 08-06-2019 at 12:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AnOldman View Post
    Just reduced. $225 OBO. Need this stuff gone. Surely somebody has a use for this.
    It's a good deal, I would take it, but it's a 3hr ride, so can't. Can you mail it to me?(just kidding, it would be way too many stamps)

Just got a reality check when I called around asking for used steel prices. It's worth more locally than I was led to believe. My original $275 ask was actually considerably under local 'used' prices so I am going to stick with that for now.

SOLD (locally).

Quote Originally Posted by AnOldman View Post
    SOLD (locally).
    Whats up Steve?

Did you ever finish that panhead?

DIBS....

would LOVE to see pictures....
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    1961 Lincoln Idealarc 250
    HTP 221

True Wisdom only comes from Pain.

Believe it or not still working on it! Never expected it to be a quick project. Besides, life gets in the way sometimes