Lathe Setup - Page 10
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Lathe Setup

Re: Lathe Setup

Ahhhhh grasshopper..... but what will happen when you heat treat this spacer???? we all know how dimensionally stable metal likes heat treat

No heat treat, gonna go in like it's made. And hope for the best.

The other spacer wasn't heat treated (shrug) far as I know.

Besides...………………….heat treating...………..oven x2 (plural)...…..gawd man...….are you a glutten for punishment......imagine the thread

Heh heh hehe LOL.... are we there yet!!!!!!

Besides...….how ya gonna heat treat this stuff?????????????? Only heat treat I know is cuttin' it with a torch. We're talkin' a36......this stuff could maybe contain the old clawfoot bathtub your wife made you throw out. It's a grab bag.

If it fits, and I get running...………...I'm dipped in sh##

Pickup has driveshaft issues. 1 ton has wheel issues. K'kins says if I don't get the mower fixed...……...I got issues. I'm hangin' by a thread here This better work I'm tired of shoving hours down the rabbit hole.

Name:  caseinit.jpg
Views: 309
Size:  60.9 KB

Yeah I know about mower season.... had to get over to a friends yesterday and put a starter on this one... and drain the gallon of gass out of the block and rip the carb apart and put all new fuel line on it and..... well you get the pic.
    Name:  poulan42-starter.jpg
Views: 303
Size:  72.4 KB
    Last edited by ronsii; 04-09-2019 at 12:31 AM.

You got me hooked. Explain. That stuff work with mild steel?

Oh God...…………………………….I had the bad judgement to ask Name:  erniefp.png
Views: 305
Size:  13.7 KB

I hate small motors. I truly believe they're what The Good Lord put here on Earth to make us do penance.

K'kins gave the weedeater a spin today...……..no start.....mo money....mo money.

Or...………..if it were left to me...………..frk the weeds 'n grass.....let it grow

I got one word for ya' to do with weeds.... CONCRETE!!!! everywhere

You betcha!!!!!!!!!!!! Zeroscape that Bstd!!!!!!!!!!! Green is for snowflakes

As for the hardening.... so simple even a caveman cold do it

just heat your part up to red more or less then cover with kasenit then continue heating to red~ when you think it's done quench it!! done... all you're doing is carburizing the very thin surface of the metal basically changing it's alloy if you want more depth to the hardness repeat the procedure... for larger parts you could get some stainless wrap and go that route but for small stuff all you need is a torch and some kasenit or brownells hardening compound... there are a few others all basically the same though...

Look how beautiful fresh concrete is.....
    Name:  jni-sw.jpg
Views: 309
Size:  82.2 KB
    I just put these panels in last week we did the black stuff behind it a couple weeks ago if you like the darker groundscape...
    Last edited by ronsii; 04-09-2019 at 12:51 AM.

Cut the reminder of the shoulder down.

Name:  lathe setup182.JPG
Views: 282
Size:  170.3 KB This should give me plenty of material for the bandsaw kerf when it's parted. And I added a bit to stiffen the thing when/if it ever needs to come out again.

Name:  lathe setup183.JPG
Views: 285
Size:  166.7 KB Was literally fighting for every available inch on this thing.

Counterbore, and main bore.

Name:  lathe setup184.JPG
Views: 284
Size:  220.3 KB The little hogger spinning at 1100 does a nice job of removing material without too much strain on the lil' mill.

AND IT'S DONE

Name:  lathe setup185.JPG
Views: 285
Size:  207.8 KB

Well, not really Block needs to be trimmed so's it'll fit on the bandsaw. And the block has to be tack welded to something for the bandsaw vise to grab. Then it can be parted.

Welded the piece to some tubing so's it could be mounted on the bandsaw.

Name:  lathe setup186.JPG
Views: 249
Size:  192.6 KB The usual...….make it as square as possible, and only use two small tack welds to hold it in place

Name:  lathe setup187.JPG
Views: 251
Size:  236.5 KB Like watching paint dry I run the saw at 80fpm to keep heat down, and hopefully extend blade life. Not sure if it's valid, but it's what I've been doing (shrug)

Name:  lathe setup188.JPG
Views: 253
Size:  223.6 KB

Name:  lathe setup189.JPG
Views: 254
Size:  210.9 KB You can see where I've beefed up the main bore, and lip.

Name:  lathe setup190.JPG
Views: 252
Size:  215.5 KB I've left just enough free space to get a drift on the spacer if it needs to be removed sometime in the future. The casting prodruding a bit will hold the drift from straying. Beefing it up required sacrificing the "bite".

Checked it with the bearing race resting on the lip, which will be riding against the seat. It checked out on all 4 corners. Absolutely dead on. Well, at least with my instruments.

Name:  lathe setup191.JPG
Views: 251
Size:  204.2 KB

Probably a half hour job on the lathe, but a ton of work on a milling machine. I still think the milling machine, pound for pound, is the most valuable asset in the shop. It can do just about anything short of cooking supper.

That's because your using the mill as a vertical lathe since your lathe sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Insaneride View Post
    That's because your using the mill as a vertical lathe since your lathe sucks.
    Name:  tkqe4fh-smiley-two-thumbs-up175028_285604.gif
Views: 233
Size:  1.1 KB

It's just very weird seeing round machinings with endmill marks on em'

Quote Originally Posted by ronsii View Post
    It's just very weird seeing round machinings with endmill marks on em'
    Well...………..I'm a weird guy Name:  stimpy2.gif
Views: 233
Size:  9.2 KB

LOL.... oh....you don't know how much I'm resisting a witty reply....

Any progress? I'm ready to see this thing back together and running!

Quote Originally Posted by Jason280 View Post
    Any progress? I'm ready to see this thing back together and running!
    Thursday was U-joint day Took opening 3 different boxes to find one that actually would move freely. Two made in China, and the final one made in Mexico. Told the doods at NAPA that the Chinese stuff was costing them money because nobody would want them. I don't believe they cared

Friday was hay day. Finally dry enough (almost) to move some hay.

Saturday was a gully washer. Solid rain all day. We watched the Masters, and took a break.

Sunday (today) was K'kins day. Got her riding mower in to try and fix the surging engine. I did a bang up job Took the carb off, cleaned it, AND REINSTALLED THE MAIN JET WRONG, AND FILLED THE ENTIRE ENGINE WITH GASOLINE Ran fine at first, then when shut down, wouldn't restart...………...matter of fact...….starter wouldn't even turn the lil' bugger...…...IT WAS HYDROLOCKED WITH GASOLINE This gets done the right way tomorrow morning. Including an oil change because I ruined the oil when I flooded the engine

So...…….been having so much fun, I didn't get a chance to put the bearings in the lathe

With luck, maybe tomorrow.

IF I get the preload right, then it's 4hr run-in at 450rpm, 2hr run in at 750rpm, and 1hr at 1200rpm...…..or something like that, gotta take a look again. Now that I got a genuine stool in the "shop" this will be a good chance to sit there, beer in hand, and watch the thing spin for about 8hrs

Name:  lathe setup192.JPG
Views: 98
Size:  217.9 KB

The front end of the combustion chamber/manifold is drained...……..cool

Pull the carb again, to put the stupid jet where it belongs...…

Get it on the bench, AND THERE'S NO JET!!

I'm crapin' bricks Where the heck did it go???????????????????????

Then it hits me.............Maybe I put the jet in the inlet side of the interior carb body......ACTUALLY IN THE INLET PORT.

So, it's gotta be somewhere on the stinkin' ground. I drained the carb thru the inlet prior to putting it on the bench. AND I WAS WALKING AROUND AS I DID IT.

This was at about 9:00AM

Found the little jet about 20 minutes ago (11ish AM) AFTER CRAWLING AROUND ON MY HANDS AND KNEES.

Found a great video on YouTube, covering the teardown of the little Niki carbs. Aha!!!!!!!!!! That's where the little bstd goes

Get it all put together, pull the plug to air out the cylinder, and maybe...……..just maybe...…….K'kins has a mower again. Don't need diamond rings......just need a working lawn mower to keep things blissful at the homestead