anyone ever used a grease gun for a hrrststic taste of at tank - Page 2
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: anyone ever used a grease gun for a hrrststic taste of at tank

Quote Originally Posted by ronsii View Post
    That means you'll have to lay it on the side to test???
    Man I hope not, back up plan, I'll just put a tee on top of the standpipe I run on the air output side of the tank, come off the bull of the tee with a nipple and ball valve to vent the air, and pipe the pump to the top of the tee instead of the side of the tank where the compressor tube threads into the tank.
    I've been everywhere but the electric chair, seen everything but the wind...the only two things I can't weld is the crack of dawn and a broken heart!

Started to get the compressor tank ready for hydro testing. Starter relay electrical feed has been removed and the pressure switch electrical hae been removed from the pressure limit switch. Now I have to lay the tank on its side and fill it with water and hook the test pump to it when the BSPT to NPT adapter fittings arrive in a few days.
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    I've been everywhere but the electric chair, seen everything but the wind...the only two things I can't weld is the crack of dawn and a broken heart!

more pics
    Last edited by tackit; 03-14-2019 at 07:28 PM.

Every pressure vessel should have a data plate on it listing
    The woking pressure and an hydro static pressure. I believe the hydro pressure is the one you test to.
    If you do a search for asme codes you can find what you need to do a pressure test. Link is to some info on testimg
    https://www.engineersedge.com/pressu...ests_13917.htm
    Lincoln 350mp
    miller regency
    miller syncro wave 300

Quote Originally Posted by bcguide View Post
    Every pressure vessel should have a data plate on it listing
    The woking pressure and an hydro static pressure. I believe the hydro pressure is the one you test to.
    If you do a search for asme codes you can find what you need to do a pressure test. Link is to some info on testimg
    https://www.engineersedge.com/pressu...ests_13917.htm
    Sorry, I didn't see your message sooner bcguide, thanks.

Getting closer to hydrostat testing of the air-compressor tank

The weather is starting to warm up so I readied the air-compressor to be laid over onto the wooden rack Friday when a couple of friends are coming over to help out.

I plumbed the tank for the 3/4" water hose connection, and a second pressure gauge going next the 1/2" airline nipple with the ball valve, the hydrostatic pump is going to connect to the tanks 1/2" airline nipple when all the air is out of the tank.

The new and better pump was only tested to 250 lbs because I used a couple of 150lb fittings I had on hand to test it out. I was surprised both gauges readings were so close.
    Last edited by tackit; 04-10-2019 at 03:14 PM.

more pics

I've read through the whole thread and I offer the following for your and others safety.
    If you cannot vent all air out the tank before pressing it up with water you will have trapped air/gas that IF there is an issue will cause a rupture with explosive release.
    if there is no opening on the top of the tank then it should be laid down so that one of the plugged openings will be straight up to vent all air.
    In my job we routinely hydrostatically test pipe, relief valves and pressure vessels for air, hydraulics, water and diesel fuel.
    1 would offer the following. Fill the tank completely with water from a water hose, vent all air. then close the valve from the hose and use your tester to raise the pressure to what ever test pressure you chose.
    Different codes require different test pressures, ASME and the Code Of Federal regulations (46 CFR part 54) both used to require 150% for new vessels. I think both changed to 130% several years ago.

that pressure should be based on the lowest rating of any part of the system, not just the rating of the tank.

If you have all of the air out of the tank you may be surprised that only one or 2 pumps on your tester will raise the pressure dramatically.

go slow, we routinely raise the pressure in increments say 50% then 75% then 100% and hold for 5 min or so then increase slowly from there until we reach final test pressure. hold there and check visually for leaks.

good luck

The tank is laying on its side with two nipples looking up to vent air out of the tank. The plan is to hook the water hose to the brass hose connector whitch will be installed now that the tank has been lowered onto the wooden rack.

I would think it would take a large volume of air inside a vessel to rupture it, not just a smallish bubble of air.

Air just stores the energy, more air more energy waiting to be released.

Air just stores the energy, more air more energy waiting to be released.
    So, if there isn't a large volume of air inside a vessel, there won't be enough energy stored to rupture a vessel Yes?

It will still rupture but once the metal breaks it loses pressure fast if there is no *real* stored pressure to keep pushing the opening bigger... kinda like a big dam with a mile of water behind it 500 feet tall versus a dam of the same size and height that only has 1 inch of water behind it 500 feet tall... if that makes sense....

Maybe a better way to say it is... the air in the tank keep the pressure on the water to get out even after the metal fails and starts to let water out the air is keeping the pressure up to make the opening bigger....
    Last edited by ronsii; 04-13-2019 at 01:24 AM.

It will still rupture but once the metal breaks it loses pressure fast if there is no *real* stored pressure to keep pushing the opening bigger... kinda like a big dam with a mile of water behind it 500 feet tall versus a dam of the same size and height that only has 1 inch of water behind it 500 feet tall... if that makes sense....

Maybe a better way to say it is... the air in the tank keep the pressure on the water to get out even after the metal fails and starts to let water out the air is keeping the pressure up to make the opening bigger....

I have to reason there would be so many deaths caused by small bubbles of trapped air in lines and vessels, OSHA would not allow hydrostatic testing except by certified engineering companies. I'll give OSHA a call and see what they have to say about testing with a small bubble of air in a vessel.

Thanks, ronsii

After doing a lot of reading I've come up with my own unscientific hydrostatic test formula.

MAWP =200 PSI X .90 = 180 PSI
    180 X 1.3=234 PSI

The vessel will be tested at 234 PSI for 10 minutes with test gauge mounted at top of the vessel with water temp and vessel temp BOTH at 70 degrees F, which will test the vessel 30% over MAWP.

Weather is getting better so the bottom of the air vessel got painted with Rust Bullet and new rubber feet were put on the cart. .

I bought 225' of new 3/4" hose and a hose cart so when the temperature gets up in the 70's and stays there I can fill the vessel with water and hydrostatic test air storage vessel.

I re-piped the hose cart, the hose reel was designed for the hose to go over the top of the reel and screw on to the brass hose adapter in the tee, I added the 2 1/2"shoulder nipple, the close nipple, and the two 1/2" 90's, now the hose lays down on the drum and won't kink from going over the reel, I also bought new rubber feet for it and painted the cart and the rims and spokes with Rustolem clear coat.

The next update will be the test.
    Last edited by tackit; 05-22-2019 at 03:14 PM.

new hose