need help connecting cheap 5 pin foot pedal to Thermal Arc Ultima 150 Plasma welder
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

need help connecting cheap 5 pin foot pedal to Thermal Arc Ultima 150 Plasma welder

Hi folks,
    I had a similar post under the Esab forum but am hoping for more responses here.

Cheap foot pedal finally arrived. I know to connect the two lead from the foot pedal contacts to the RC3 weld arc on and rc4 weld arc return (diagram below from Ultima 150). But, I could use some help in which of the 3 wires from the potentiometer go to which of the other connections from the diagram. I assume they connect to RC19, 20 and 21 but am not certain nor do I know which one is which on potentiometer (no wiring diagram/ labels with it and google didn't give any wiring diagram hits) - please see pics below.

Name:  wiring.png
Views: 140
Size:  13.2 KBName:  20181225_153005.jpg
Size:  72.7 KBName:  20181225_152954.jpg
Size:  56.8 KBName:  20181225_152946.jpg
Size:  47.9 KB
    Miller XMT 304 CC/CV Power source
    Miller Optima Pulsing pendant
    Miller XR feeder and XR15 Push-pull gun
    Miller XR feeder and XR30 Push-pull gun
    Miller S62 feeder
    TD Pak master 100 plasma cutter
    TA Ultima 150 Plasma Arc Welder

Re: need help connecting cheap 5 pin foot pedal to Thermal Arc Ultima 150 Plasma weld

Quote Originally Posted by Northeaster View Post
    Hi folks,
    I had a similar post under the Esab forum but am hoping for more responses here.

Cheap foot pedal finally arrived. I know to connect the two lead from the foot pedal contacts to the RC3 weld arc on and rc4 weld arc return (diagram below from Ultima 150). But, I could use some help in which of the 3 wires from the potentiometer go to which of the other connections from the diagram. I assume they connect to RC19, 20 and 21 but am not certain nor do I know which one is which on potentiometer (no wiring diagram/ labels with it and google didn't give any wiring diagram hits) - please see pics below.

Name:  wiring.png
Size:  13.2 KBName:  20181225_153005.jpg
Size:  72.7 KBName:  20181225_152954.jpg
Size:  56.8 KBName:  20181225_152946.jpg
Size:  47.9 KB
    Get an ohmmeter and find the resistance between the yellow,green and black wires i.e Y-G,G-B,Y-B.One pair should be full resistance 2.2K, another pair slightly less or = to 2.2K, and the last pair zero or very low resistance.Move the pedal to half position and recheck the resistances.The wire that shows about equal resistance to both wires is the wiper R20 ,the other pair should show the same resistance as the first test.

I am guessing it will be the green since most but not all rotary pots have the wiper located in the center. IMVHO R19 the yellow wire and R21 the black wire,basing it on:Black is usually ground; the principle that with most but not all standard low voltage signal rotary pots which way the positive or negative connects isn't a factor.

This link will explain a potentiometer better than I can.
    http://www.geofex.com/article_folder...s/potscret.htm
    Imagination is more important than knowledge. - Albert Einstein

I wanted a mission and for my sins, they gave me one. - Captain Benjamin L. Willard

Re: need help connecting cheap 5 pin foot pedal to Thermal Arc Ultima 150 Plasma weld

Tiggatoo - want to thank you very much for taking the time to reply, and provide the info above. That will help alot - just what i was looking for!
    My equipment is about an hour away from me, and I won't be up there for a week or two, but will try this next time I am up there.

thanks again!
    Miller XMT 304 CC/CV Power source
    Miller Optima Pulsing pendant
    Miller XR feeder and XR15 Push-pull gun
    Miller XR feeder and XR30 Push-pull gun
    Miller S62 feeder
    TD Pak master 100 plasma cutter
    TA Ultima 150 Plasma Arc Welder