45 XP Air compressor requirements/suggestions and other general questions
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

45 XP Air compressor requirements/suggestions and other general questions

I have a hypertherm 30 xp and a 45 xp in my garage that a local distributor has let me try out for the past week. I spent quite a bit of time with them and have been trying to decide which to purchase. I am leaning toward the 45xp. I will just be using it as a hobbyist at this time, but may get more serious in the future. One of my main questions is what air compressor to get. I am currently using a dewalt 15 gallon, 1.6hp that produces 5 CFM at 90 psi. That seems to run the 45xp fine, but I have run into times when I need to wait for it to build up pressure. The 45xp manual recommends 6cfm at 90 psi minimum. I do have a couple of questions on the 45xp and the air compressor if anyone can comment. The questions I have are:

1. Will running too low of air pressure damage the machine? Or will it just stop running until sufficient air is provided. I cut until the torch quits (I get the yellow low air light and the other yellow air cylinder light). Will running it until it quits and getting those two yellow lights too many times damage the machine?
    2. Can you recommend any particular air compressors that will work well with the 45xp. Preferrably a portable, 110, with around a 30 gallon tank.
    3. Is $1,860 a good price for a new 45xp with 20' torch leads?
    4. What is a good air filter to run with the 45xp?

Thank you for any suggestions/comments.

Doug J

Re: 45 XP Air compressor requirements/suggestions and other general questions

Tank size doesn't matter as much as the CFM rating of the pump. Quincy makes a nice compressor and this one will exceed the 6 CFM rating. https://www.aircompressorsdirect.com...or/p12333.html
    Millermatic 252
    Syncrowave 250
    Purox Metalmaster

That Quincy looks like a decent compressor. 2 hp and oil lubricated.

Yep I have an older version that is actually rated at 3HP on 120 volts, with a 30 gallon tank. Nice units. Quiet.
    Millermatic 252
    Syncrowave 250
    Purox Metalmaster

1. The Powermax units all have internal pressure sensors. When incoming dynamic (with air flowing at the torch) pressure drops to around 85 psi the torch will shut off and you will get an error code indicating low inlet pressure. o damage will occur.
    2. If you want to cut continuously you need an air compressor with a 6cfm (or greater) rating at 90 psi. The horsepower rating for compressors means nothing and tank size is inconsequential.If less than 6cfm then you will occasionally need to wait for pressure to build, if higher than 6cfm then the compressor will occasionally get a rest (and last longer).
    3. List price is around $2270 for the 45 xp with hand torch, so yes, $1860 is a good price.
    4. Do you live in a humid environment? How much weekly use in hours? In most cases the onboard moisture oil separator / filter is adequate.

Jim Colt

Quote Originally Posted by DougJ View Post
    I have a hypertherm 30 xp and a 45 xp in my garage that a local distributor has let me try out for the past week. I spent quite a bit of time with them and have been trying to decide which to purchase. I am leaning toward the 45xp. I will just be using it as a hobbyist at this time, but may get more serious in the future. One of my main questions is what air compressor to get. I am currently using a dewalt 15 gallon, 1.6hp that produces 5 CFM at 90 psi. That seems to run the 45xp fine, but I have run into times when I need to wait for it to build up pressure. The 45xp manual recommends 6cfm at 90 psi minimum. I do have a couple of questions on the 45xp and the air compressor if anyone can comment. The questions I have are:

1. Will running too low of air pressure damage the machine? Or will it just stop running until sufficient air is provided. I cut until the torch quits (I get the yellow low air light and the other yellow air cylinder light). Will running it until it quits and getting those two yellow lights too many times damage the machine?
    2. Can you recommend any particular air compressors that will work well with the 45xp. Preferrably a portable, 110, with around a 30 gallon tank.
    3. Is $1,860 a good price for a new 45xp with 20' torch leads?
    4. What is a good air filter to run with the 45xp?

Thank you for any suggestions/comments.

Doug J

Thank you Jim. I bought the 45XP yesterday! I live in Utah, so it is pretty dry. I am still going to buy the hypertherm eliminizer filter. That is the one I was using when I was trying out the machines and it seems to work well.