Wire size
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Thread: Wire size

Wire size

Looking into a 250, will 8/2 be enough or should I go 6/2

Re: Wire size

Quote Originally Posted by goldie lox View Post
    Looking into a 250, will 8/2 be enough or should I go 6/2
    What are you asking? Power supply cable?

Yes, breaker size

Well goldie, you seem rather opaque. First you want wire size, I think, though you really didn't answer that and then ask about breaker size. Paging lugweld!

Do you know that wire size and breaker size go hand in hand, if you say I needed a 50a breaker then you get the matching wire, just like if you said you only needed a 15a breaker then you would get 14g wire, you can’t mix match the two, yes you can always larger wire or smaller breaker but not good a practice

south GA where its hot in summer and cold in winter

Go with what your or local /requires.. The manual has all the information he needs to make the correct determination. You should use a NEMA 6-50 plug if you are on single phase. Article 630 of the NEC has specific guidelines for wiring welders. Unfortunately local inspectors often ignore it or won't allow it to be wired in accordance with it either due to stubbornness or ignorance of this article. Wire size is able to be downrated based off of duty cycle of primary amps or constant "running" amps (I1eff), not inrush. Breakers are sized off of inrush, and if I recall correctly the NEC allows up to 200 percent over sizing of breaker to conductor. But take all this with a grain of salt. I am not an electrician.
    Esab Migmaster 250
    Lincoln SA 200
    Lincoln Ranger 8
    Smith Oxy Fuel setup
    Everlast PowerPlasma 80
    Everlast Power iMIG 160
    Everlast Power iMIG 205
    Everlast Power iMIG 140E
    Everlast PowerARC 300
    Everlast PowerARC 140ST
    Everlast PowerTIG 255EXT

Depends, Are you going underground to a shop or are talking shop wiring? Check the difference in price of 8 and 6 and make the call on your budget. For 99% of your welding 8ga and a 50a breaker will be fine. Some will argue that you can use 10ga. I'm not a 10ga guy unless it's a 115v extension cord. I agree with the words on inspectors. Bring in 3 and tey all have their own way.
    Thermal Arc 320SP
    Cobra Pythons
    Thermal Arc 300 AC/DC
    Thermal Arc 161STL
    Thermal Arc 190S
    Cut Master 82, 42.
    Victor Gas App.
    Ellis 1600
    Evolution Compound Mitre.
    Boxes of welding crap.