ideas for Hobart g-213
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

ideas for Hobart g-213

I've gotten an old hobart g-213 and plan on re-storing it.I've got the wisconsin 2 cylinder engine running pretty good,had to put some points and condensor in the magneto and go thru the carb.I've moved on now to the welding side,it's got a burnt open in the fine adjustment rheostat.I soldier a wire across the bad spot,reduced my adjustment from 8.25 to around 4 ohms.Right now I've got the ballast resistor removed as it had only 3 of the 9 insulators still inside,the rest are just pieces. I know these insulators are none existing anymore,so I'm trying to come up with a solutlion.I was thinking of maybe suspending the coil from maybe an insulator and letting the whole unit just hang without any internal insulators.But I'm concerned that under a welding load the heat might make the coil winding sag into each other and short out!Anybody out there who might have some solutions or ideas about this problem? I've even thought of buying some kind of porcelain strips t put between each coil link.
    randy

Re: ideas for Hobart g-213

Can you post a photo or two of the ballast resistor and its remaining insulators so we can see what you're dealing with?

You may know this already but member Slob is our resident older Hobart guru if you can reach him via Private Message (PM) if he doesn't jump in here.
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    '68 Red Face Code #6633 project
    Star Jet 21-110

Save Second Base!

I will send some pictures,but they're on another computer and the wife is using that one now.....I don't dare to kick her off the computer lol

Ok here are some picturesName:  DSC03572.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  97.4 KBName:  DSC03576.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  122.5 KB
    the first picture is the insulators. 2nd one is the ballast resistor with all the broken,whole insulators glued and put back inside.Name:  DSC03574.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  136.6 KB

I wonder how JB WELD would hold up to the heat?
    Mike
    Ol' Stonebreaker
    "Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes"

Miller 175 mig
    Miller thunderbolt ac/dc stick
    Victor O/A setup
    Makita chop saw

JB WELD is what I used to glue the insulator broken pieces together.I don't really expect them to hold up in the heat. JB does make a very High temp glue but I couldn't find any local

I had to fix one of these years ago, I was lucky and a guy out in Plymouth MA had a few got me bye. I wondered if someone who was into pottery could have made them and fired them in a kiln. Maybe a local community college with arts and crafts type classes?
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum"

Lincoln Idealarc 250 AC/DC
    Millermatic 251 Syncrowave 300 30A spoolgun
    Lincoln MP210
    Hypertherm 45
    (2) LN 25
    (2) Lincoln Weldanpower 225 CV
    (4) SA200 1 short hood SA250 SAM 400

He has learned to make his own molds, ordered some refractory type mix and is using his range oven to bake them. I think once he has the molding process down pat he may take them to a ceramic shop for firing. I admire his persistence!! He lives in a humid climate and has theorized that rust forming on the iron strips the insulators attach to expands, as rust will do, and breaks them. Makes sense to me. I've suggested maybe some stainless strips would alleviate this problem.
    Mike
    Ol' Stonebreaker
    "Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes"

Miller 175 mig
    Miller thunderbolt ac/dc stick
    Victor O/A setup
    Makita chop saw