Respirator?
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Thread: Respirator?

Respirator?

I'm looking for a respirator that will fit under my hood without the cost involved in a PAPR system. I can't really justify the cost for the amount of welding that I do. The copper company I worked for supplied a 3M respirator that had hoses that went over the shoulders with the filters in the back, but I can't seem to find them. I've tried the woven masks but they leak and fog up the lens cuz they don't seal, nor do they protect against anything but particulates.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC MIG/STICK/TIG
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    GOD BLESS AMERICA!
    “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
    We didn’t pass it to our children in the bloodstream".
    RONALD REAGAN

Re: Respirator?

Quote Originally Posted by CAVEMANN View Post
    I'm looking for a respirator that will fit under my hood without the cost involved in a PAPR system. I can't really justify the cost for the amount of welding that I do. The copper company I worked for supplied a 3M respirator that had hoses that went over the shoulders with the filters in the back, but I can't seem to find them. I've tried the woven masks but they leak and fog up the lens cuz they don't seal, nor do they protect against anything but particulates.
    When I worked underground we had a little thing what was called a dustfoe respirator, I think MSA made em, all they worked for was dust, they were pretty cheap, and we would get a pack of 5 filters in a box, I don't know if you be lookin for somethin like that or not. I could never wear much of a respirator without hyperventilating...something about having a fear of something over my face I used to go nuts. But when it got really bad with the dust I would wear this little dustfoe thing and I could deal with that thing a little better

I like the Miller respirator

I use one of these..it has the down draft exhalation port so your lens won't fog up. Use the pink pancake filters and it fits under the hood fine.

https://www.amazon.com/3M-Profession.../dp/B004HXBCMG
    Millermatic 252
    Syncrowave 250
    Purox Metalmaster

Thanks Louie, that looks like it might work, I have a facepiece that is similar. Here's a little story for y'all from my copper days. I was called out one night to balance a large blower that moved fresh air through the boiler to cool it quickly when they had a boiler leak, I know, I know all the company cared about was production, it was an Ahlstrom boiler and was notorious for leaking. Anyway, to continue, I loaded up the tools and my fullface respirator, which should have been sufficient, guess again, for some reason , while I had my head poked in the manhole hanging a trial weight the duct picked up a backdraft of concentrated SO2 gas and whatever in the heck else, but it was friendly to the filters, it came through the filters like they weren't even there, I pulled my head out , puking, eyes watering and my entire respiratory tract on fire! It turned out that the control room operators had done something that wasn't allowed at ANY time, it prompted some major changes in operation protocols. The balancing job was postponed to the next day and I think it also became a job that required a positive pressure(air fed) respirator which opens up a whole new set of circumstances.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC MIG/STICK/TIG
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    GOD BLESS AMERICA!
    “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
    We didn’t pass it to our children in the bloodstream".
    RONALD REAGAN

I use the same 3M half mask and recently switched to the Miller half mask. HEPA filters. No fogging of helmet, just sucks that you need to be clean shaven to use it. I always like to have a short 5 day beard, my baby face gets all torn up shaving every day.

Sent from my LM-Q710.FG using Tapatalk
    Ryan

Miller Multimatic 200 tig/spool gun/wireless remote
    Millermatic 350P, Bernard/XR Python guns
    Miller Dynasty 350, Coolmate 3.5 & wireless remote
    CK WF1 TIG wire feeder
    Miller Spectrum 375 Xtreme
    Optrel e684
    Miller Digital Elite
    Miller Weld-Mask

I've a bunch but you guys know I'm lotsa outside. I run this with a modded intake to accept 3m spig filters.

I've been using these for flux core or aluminium MIG welding:

1E2400 5 Arco P2 Valved Cupped Welding Respirators

https://www.arco.co.uk/products/1E2400?s=1

they're disposable, low profile, relatively comfortable and crucially they have an activated carbon layer to filter out nasty fumes. The valve points down which i think helps keep the hood screen from misting up.

if I was welding every day, I would have a PAPR hood system for definite. They aren't that expensive in the long run.
    Last edited by Munkul; 02-25-2019 at 09:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Louie1961 View Post
    I use one of these..it has the down draft exhalation port so your lens won't fog up. Use the pink pancake filters and it fits under the hood fine.

https://www.amazon.com/3M-Profession.../dp/B004HXBCMG
    Yep, it works great. Comes in 3 sizes though, you have to get the right one for it to seal.

I'm going to purchase the the Respo Rator. I have facial hair and do not get a good seal. Thanks man never seen one before.
    Dave Reber
    Wadsworth Ohio

Pretty unique apparatus. I don't think I'd care to put nose plugs on and have a breathing tube stuck in my mouth for any length of time but that's just me.