How to learn to solve structural steel requirements? - Page 2
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: How to learn to solve structural steel requirements?

Quote Originally Posted by henry42 View Post
    My dad was a licensed professional engineer who taught me that engineers didn't have to know crap, only where to find the answer.

And while it would be nice to learn where to find the answer, unless you're a licensed professional engineer you answer is only good for you. Anyone getting hurt by your design would own you.
    Unless it is a new structure. Not everything dreamt up by the human mind has been evalutated from a mechanical engineering standpoint. That's why mechanical engineers need to solve complex problems on Solidworks or some other kind of professional FEA software. Also, (with all due respect to your Father) it's BS that a mechanical engineer doesn't have know crap. I had lots of ME major'ing friends when I was in college. Guess what - they were taking Calculus-III and Differential Equations just like I was. They had to apply Linear Algebra to solve problems in conjunction with calculus, just as I was. Sometimes the professional ME has to be the first one to derive the answer so others can then look up what he/she did.
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling signature!

HTP Invertig 221
    HTP ProPulse 300 MIG
    HTP ProPulse 200 MIG x2
    HTP Inverarc 200 TLP water-cooled
    HTP Microcut 875SC

You really need to aprentice with your father from when you are about two years old. And then volunteer for any interesting task that your neighbors, family, or friends of the family have for you.

My little guy was laying shingles on the roof with me when he was two years old.

Sincerely,

William McCormick
    If I wasn't so.....crazy, I wouldn't try to act normal, and you would be afraid.

Some of the most educational things in my life related to stress and deflection came from watching tools that I thought were so hard and inflexible, bend like rubber when used as a lever. Or when the tool got stuck between two rocks, and it flexed easily.

Getting my fingers caught under a very light davit arm near the mounting base was very educational about cranes. The increasing force needed to lift a boom, the closer you are to the pivot point of the boom. These are essential things to understanding structural strength.

Sincerely,

William McCormick
    If I wasn't so.....crazy, I wouldn't try to act normal, and you would be afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
    Unless it is a new structure. Not everything dreamt up by the human mind has been evalutated from a mechanical engineering standpoint. That's why mechanical engineers need to solve complex problems on Solidworks or some other kind of professional FEA software. Also, (with all due respect to your Father) it's BS that a mechanical engineer doesn't have know crap. I had lots of ME major'ing friends when I was in college. Guess what - they were taking Calculus-III and Differential Equations just like I was. They had to apply Linear Algebra to solve problems in conjunction with calculus, just as I was. Sometimes the professional ME has to be the first one to derive the answer so others can then look up what he/she did.
    Software is not even close to solving mechanical problems. A human mind is equivalent to a billion computers working for years on a problem if the human has been actively exposed and properly sorting data.

Sincerely,

William McCormick