Aluminum Motorcycle Tank - Page 2
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Aluminum Motorcycle Tank

So that one would be the titan? Sorry I guess the 550 is the triple. Have you ran it on a dyno? Curious the torque curve and what they pull to.

I love two stroke street rods. Mostly triples and rds
    Quote Originally Posted by johnu View Post
    The GT500 is a twin cylinder and it each cylinder has it's own pipe. I used exhaust building software to get the pipe dimensions then plotted the path that I wanted the pipes to follow and built all the cones accordingly. It's a lot of work!
    Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

johnu, great looking tank, nice looking bike.
    I'd like to ask a puker question about the bike, sorry this is probably obvious to anyone familiar with bikes? Why is there so much distance under the back portion of the seat to the tire? Is this area used to accommodate the shock/compression/displacement of the rear wheel assembly when riding on rough terrain?

Anyone knowledgeable about this class of bike could help me with a reply. Thanks.

Cheers,
    Kevin Morin
    Kenai, AK

Quote Originally Posted by flipsk12 View Post
    So that one would be the titan? Sorry I guess the 550 is the triple. Have you ran it on a dyno? Curious the torque curve and what they pull to.

I love two stroke street rods. Mostly triples and rds

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
    Yes the earlier version was the Titan (t500) mine is the Gt500 which has electronic ignition. GT550 was a triple. I have not had it on the dyno yet but but with the porting work I had done I'm hoping it's around 55hp. Stock was about 45hp I think. I also reduced the overall weight by almost 100lb. One day I would love to own an RD350 LC (RZ here in the US).

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Morin View Post
    johnu, great looking tank, nice looking bike.
    I'd like to ask a puker question about the bike, sorry this is probably obvious to anyone familiar with bikes? Why is there so much distance under the back portion of the seat to the tire? Is this area used to accommodate the shock/compression/displacement of the rear wheel assembly when riding on rough terrain?

Anyone knowledgeable about this class of bike could help me with a reply. Thanks.

Cheers,
    Kevin Morin
    Kenai, AK
    You actually wouldn't want to ride this bike on rough terrain it is for street/track use only. The bike did not look like this at the rear originally as it was a twin shock bike that I converted to mono shock. I also removed the battery box and oil tank from this area just because this was the look I wanted to achieve. Here is a pic of how it looked originally. Thanks for asking!Name:  DSCN1078.jpg
Views: 289
Size:  98.3 KB

As others have stated, you are very talented and I love your GT500. I bet you could build a wicked T500 flat tracker.

Quote Originally Posted by johnu View Post
    Yes it's aluminum and yes it's a Gt500.
    Here is a pic of the finished bike.Attachment 1699016
    Wowza, amazing work on the tank. You sir are a craftsman, o/a is definitely a lost art and you carry that torch

Now about the bike, stunning absolutely stunning, every aspect of it is beautiful. Even though I can only see one side
    Do you have a build thread somewhere for it?

Quote Originally Posted by sqznby View Post
    Wowza, amazing work on the tank. You sir are a craftsman, o/a is definitely a lost art and you carry that torch

Now about the bike, stunning absolutely stunning, every aspect of it is beautiful. Even though I can only see one side
    Do you have a build thread somewhere for it?
    I do have a build thread but it's a long read
    http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=20290.0
    And thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Rd650 View Post
    As others have stated, you are very talented and I love your GT500. I bet you could build a wicked T500 flat tracker.
    A flat tracker is something that is on my list to build although I will probabaly use a modern Triumph Bonniville as the donor bike.

Very nice tank.

As to a certain offer made above...Some have read, others can weld...

Terrific work. One of my first bikes was a T500. I suspect I got the last Wiseco expansion chambers for it.

For those wanting an outstanding OA welding handbook this is the ticket:

https://weldingweb.com/showthread.ph...-ebay-not-mine

Quote Originally Posted by farmall View Post
    Terrific work. One of my first bikes was a T500. I suspect I got the last Wiseco expansion chambers for it.

For those wanting an outstanding OA welding handbook this is the ticket:

https://weldingweb.com/showthread.ph...-ebay-not-mine
    Thanks for the link for the book. I almost ordered one from that abe book store but the shipping is $17.95!
    I didn't know Wiseco ever sold expansion chambers, I just know them for pistons!
    Last edited by johnu; 03-14-2019 at 10:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mrmikey View Post
    A generous gesture Opus but I don't know what else he'd learn :-).
    I have seen that book years ago and was stunned at the ability to weld aluminum with gas....................................Mike
    Many women welders during WWII and they stick welded aircraft tubular structures too. Amazing work with 1/16" electrodes.
    AWS certified welding inspector
    AWS certified welder

What was the thickness of the aluminum gas tank? Thanks.
    AWS certified welding inspector
    AWS certified welder

Quote Originally Posted by Donald Branscom View Post
    What was the thickness of the aluminum gas tank? Thanks.
    0.063" I tried 0.050 first but it just distorted too badly.

Johnu:

Beautiful work on the tank and the entire bike. It’s always a pleasure to see another true metal mans work. I loved the polished finish pics.

I started to read tour build thread, but since I’m old and retired, I don’t have enough time left to make it through 134 pages. I’m glad to see the art of gas welding aluminum is in such good hands.

BTW, I started out using #5 green glass then bought a set of blue cobalt lenses about 40 years ago. The cobalt lenses were an improvement, but about 20 years ago I tried some of Kent White’s TM 2000 while at Oshkosh and bought a lense. YEAH, they’re pricey but they really do work. I only use the TM 2000 lense for all my welding. No eye strain whatsoever.
    Roger
    Old, Tired, and GRUMPY

Salesman will call, Batteries not included, Assembly is required, and FREE ADVICE IS WORTH EXACTLY WHAT YOU PAY FOR IT!

Dial Arc 250HF
    Thunderbolt 225 AC/DC

Assorted A/O torches

Very nice work!

That is some beautiful work! And with the O/A even more impressive. Very, very nice

Quote Originally Posted by Rog02 View Post
    Johnu:

Beautiful work on the tank and the entire bike. It’s always a pleasure to see another true metal mans work. I loved the polished finish pics.

I started to read tour build thread, but since I’m old and retired, I don’t have enough time left to make it through 134 pages. I’m glad to see the art of gas welding aluminum is in such good hands.

BTW, I started out using #5 green glass then bought a set of blue cobalt lenses about 40 years ago. The cobalt lenses were an improvement, but about 20 years ago I tried some of Kent White’s TM 2000 while at Oshkosh and bought a lense. YEAH, they’re pricey but they really do work. I only use the TM 2000 lense for all my welding. No eye strain whatsoever.
    I probably will break down and buy some of those TM2000 lenses at some point.