powermax 800 help - Page 2
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: powermax 800 help

i got the unit for free and we paid a very fair price for the repairs especially since they are not available much anymore he is near smithville lake missouri and has ads on craigslist in kansas city market here is his ad

https://kansascity.craigslist.org/hv...825322722.html

I am more than happy with the price, it was less than the cost of a circuit board ( which isnt even available ) for one let alone the cost of the input diode and his hours working on it, he is a wonderful fair man

id give him a 10 out of 5 stars
    Lincoln AC 225 - S
    Lincoln Idealarc 250 ( 1980 )
    Oxy/Acet Victor Gauges/Purox Torch
    Hypertherm Powermax 800
    Miller Digital Elite US Flag

Quote Originally Posted by searcyfarms View Post
    i got the unit for free and we paid a very fair price for the repairs especially since they are not available much anymore he is near smithville lake missouri and has ads on craigslist in kansas city market here is his ad

https://kansascity.craigslist.org/hv...825322722.html

I am more than happy with the price, it was less than the cost of a circuit board ( which isnt even available ) for one let alone the cost of the input diode and his hours working on it, he is a wonderful fair man

id give him a 10 out of 5 stars
    good deal, all that matters is your happy with it...

Glad you got it running! Jim Colt

Thanks All, I will let you know how it goes, going to pick it up later today and hope to try it out later this week, got to finish up my fixing my broken septic before the rain hits!!!!
    Lincoln AC 225 - S
    Hypertherm Powermax 800

oh boy, fired up the hypertherm 800 tonight and cut my first metal with a plasma, that was fun, made a circle, made a u shape, made a hole, it was very fun, so what shade do you guys usually cut with using a plasma ? 5 to 7 like a O/A torch?
    Lincoln AC 225 - S
    Hypertherm Powermax 800

I'll normally do shade 5 to 6 or somewhere in between the two.

I'm surprised you didn't cut a happy face to show how much you were enjoying the cutter.
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, L-tec, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

Shade 5 is adequate for the 50 amps that the Powermax800 produces. Hide the metal or it will all be in little pieces before long! That's a nice old plasma.....it was at the beginning of good inverter technology. Before that model we had early inverters that were questionably reliable! Next after the 800 was the 900, the 1000, then the Powermax65.....each a bit more powerful and more reliable. Jim Colt

nice, well it seems pretty cool from what i know, my neighbor cut the 1/4" metal fenders off his trailer with it, i as they were off when i came home today so it must have worked - I haven't got to talk to him about it yet and see if he made any smiley faces with it ;-) man now i have to try that if i can get it back away from him......wish me luck
    Lincoln AC 225 - S
    Hypertherm Powermax 800

I’m curious to see what is the thickest you can cut clean with that torch and the 60 amp consumables. The Thermal Dynamics 60i with the same torch can cut 5/8” clean and sever up to 1.5” iirc. I have not tried either yet but I am sure I would not be dissapointed when I do.

Proper air psi will give the best cutting results. There is probably a happy medium between the powermax 800 power supply and the SL60 torch you are using.
    Last edited by N2 Welding; 03-19-2019 at 11:07 PM.
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, L-tec, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

It sounds like you might be moving the PM 800 around a bit as you share it. I would give some thought to keeping the air supply clean and DRY. Dirty or wet air can cause a lot of grief. When more than one person uses a plasma cutter in different locations, that can fall through cracks. Congrats on getting your unit up and running.
    Bob

Miller Bobcat 225G+
    Miller AC Thunderbolt 225V
    Lincoln AC 225 Tombstone
    Hobart Handler 190 mig
    Victor O/A rig
    Hypertherm powermax 600

thanks Bob, i have heard that and we have a filter on the machine that is still functional and intact, also my neighbor that i share it with has a nice snap on compressor with filters as well as I have on my quincy, i also keep my tank drain cracked on mine 100% of the time so it is always pushing out moisture when i fire it up, so hopefully between dual filters on both plus the one on the unit on the back we should be ok, i dont know if the inlet on the back came that way but it has an inlet that goes to a filter then into the machine beyond that
    Lincoln AC 225 - S
    Hypertherm Powermax 800

Be mindful if the unit is set for 208 and you plug it into 240 it will also trip the switch.