the anatomy of a used 3M 2297 pancake respirator filter
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

the anatomy of a used 3M 2297 pancake respirator filter

Guys and gals, please use your respirators.

No brainer...
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling signature!

HTP Invertig 221
    HTP ProPulse 300 MIG
    HTP ProPulse 200 MIG x2
    HTP Inverarc 200 TLP water-cooled
    HTP Microcut 875SC

Re: the anatomy of a used 3M 2297 pancake respirator filter

You guys say everything is bigger in Texas, looks like the air is dirtier, too. All kidding aside, sometimes you just don't realize what's in the air when you weld, cut, grind, etc.......those filters make it look like I'm safer smoking a couple of packs a day!

Lol, I use my respirator when I'm doing other stuff too like cutting the grass, blowing the leaves, axe'ing bbq firewood, chainsaw'ing bbq firewood, miter saw'ing bbq firewood, etc. Those filters got their fair share of just plain ol' dust and dirt from a bunch of activities.

HTP Invertig 221
    HTP ProPulse 300 MIG
    HTP ProPulse 200 MIG x2
    HTP Microcut 875SC

Pics not working for me.
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, L-tec, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

Is all of that nastiness or is some of it carbon filtration? I'd rip a new one open to look but don't have enough right now to part with one.

Quote Originally Posted by JD1 View Post
    Is all of that nastiness or is some of it carbon filtration? I'd rip a new one open to look but don't have enough right now to part with one.
    Pretty sure it's part of the carbon trap element. I thought it might have been metal grit but it would have gotten stuck on the first filter layer.

Quote Originally Posted by N2 Welding View Post
    Pics not working for me.
    Clear your browser cache. Should work.
    Last edited by Oscar; 03-13-2019 at 07:24 PM.

HTP Invertig 221
    HTP ProPulse 300 MIG
    HTP ProPulse 200 MIG x2
    HTP Microcut 875SC

https://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/...d-brochure.pdf

3M™ Gas & Vapor Cartridges
    These cartridges utilize sorbent material to filter the gas or vapor
    molecules. Typically the sorbent is activated carbon. Different
    chemical treatments may also be added to the surface of the
    activated carbon to adsorb different types of gases or vapors. When
    the cartridges reach their capacity, the gases or vapors start to come
    through the cartridge to the user. This is called “breakthrough.”

At work we use the 3M 6000 series half face with the 2097 cartridge when handling pure caffeine to make energy drinks. The 2097 looks similar except for its bright magenta. They are really good for quick spray paint, and small solvent cleaning jobs. I haven't used these for welding , I have a disposable welding mask that I have used for a while now. I think people underestimate how much the respirators save you lungs.
    Airco 250 ac/dc Heliwelder Square wave
    Miller Synchrowave 180 sd
    Miller Econo Twin HF
    Lincoln 210 MP
    Dayton 225 ac/dc
    Victor torches

Pics r showing now. I did not do anything.
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, L-tec, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

Pics r showing now. I did not do anything.
    Oh ok, sounds good. Previously I have heard people tell me that since I use Google to host pictures, and some people's computers don't like that until their cache is cleared.

HTP Invertig 221
    HTP ProPulse 300 MIG
    HTP ProPulse 200 MIG x2
    HTP Microcut 875SC

I was on my ipad when I first looked and did not see them. Then I was on my phone and they show up just fine. Now I’m back on the ipad and no go again. I don’t want to clear the cache so it’s no biggy. Pretty dirty filters.

I've done that, too, before I got my fresh air hood. Nasty stuff in that smoke. What kind of welding are you doing?

Quote Originally Posted by TimmyTIG View Post
    I've done that, too, before I got my fresh air hood. Nasty stuff in that smoke. What kind of welding are you doing?
    Mostly MIG/dual shield/stick as of late.

HTP Invertig 221
    HTP ProPulse 300 MIG
    HTP ProPulse 200 MIG x2
    HTP Microcut 875SC

That dual shield puts out a lot of smoke. I see these guys where I work not using any kind of protection and just have to shake my head.

I seem to have a hard time breathing anymore if I don't wear a respirator while I'm welding. I ve been doing a lot of stick, fluxcore self shielding and some mig thrown in.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC MIG/STICK/TIG
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    GOD BLESS AMERICA!
    “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
    We didn’t pass it to our children in the bloodstream".
    RONALD REAGAN

Yeah, those respirators are great. We had to spray paint some nasty automotive stuff the other day and the respirators worked great!
    Hobart Handler 190
    Hypertherm Powermax 45XP
    Welder12 on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMd...BGgVPbze3Kic3w

Understand Im not bragging so don't get it the wrong way. Ive never used respirators, as a matter of fact growing up workin with the old boy me and my Dad never used much of any PPE, cutting timber and workin in the old bootleg coal mines. I suppose its just the way I grew up. We had somewhat of a mentality that there was other stuff we could do for a living if we was really concerned about health and safety, in other words just drive on and get it done. 45-50 years later I wish I had took better care of myself and absolutely never would have started smokin 2 dsys after getting out of diapers.

So I get out in the real world and go to work in a big coal mine with about 30 fellas on a shift, they give me a MSA dustfoe respirator, just a little thing but supposed to be very effective for what it designed to do. I cant stand the damn thing on my face, same crap I dealt in the Army...hyperventilating within about 20 minutes of putting the thing on. I guess its just something in my head I never learned to deal with...like a fear of closed places, or water, heights or something like that.

Well here I am 61 years old and they tell me I got COPD and well on my way to emphysema and black lung and still workin and welding out in any kind of weather evry day. I refuse to give up, I got it in my head that I done it to myself and so just deal with whatever comes at me like Ive always done. I'll most likely die out there in the strippins doin what I do. Im still having fun doin this work but Id really like to say to any young folks deciding to do any kind of work involving dust fumes or whatever use the respirator and give up smoking if you do it...maybe when you are 61 years old you wont be coughing up a quart of snot evry morning before you go to work.

Just my thoughts
    Last edited by Popeye an old miner; 03-14-2019 at 06:08 AM.

Sounds like mighty good advice to me!! Bob

Oscar, how long were those in use? If that's 8-10 hours worth yea that's pretty dirty for that period of time. If they are days or weeks old it may not be that bad. We have to time and date ours and change every 8 hours. Better not get caught with a cartridge over 8 hours on your mask.
    Owner of Fast Leroy's Bar and Grill
    Liquor up Front, Poker in the Rear

Quote Originally Posted by Popeye an old miner View Post
    Understand Im not bragging so don't get it the wrong way. Ive never used respirators, as a matter of fact growing up workin with the old boy me and my Dad never used much of any PPE, cutting timber and workin in the old bootleg coal mines. I suppose its just the way I grew up. We had somewhat of a mentality that there was other stuff we could do for a living if we was really concerned about health and safety, in other words just drive on and get it done. 45-50 years later I wish I had took better care of myself and absolutely never would have started smokin 2 dsys after getting out of diapers.

So I get out in the real world and go to work in a big coal mine with about 30 fellas on a shift, they give me a MSA dustfoe respirator, just a little thing but supposed to be very effective for what it designed to do. I cant stand the damn thing on my face, same crap I dealt in the Army...hyperventilating within about 20 minutes of putting the thing on. I guess its just something in my head I never learned to deal with...like a fear of closed places, or water, heights or something like that.

Well here I am 61 years old and they tell me I got COPD and well on my way to emphysema and black lung and still workin and welding out in any kind of weather evry day. I refuse to give up, I got it in my head that I done it to myself and so just deal with whatever comes at me like Ive always done. I'll most likely die out there in the strippins doin what I do. Im still having fun doin this work but Id really like to say to any young folks deciding to do any kind of work involving dust fumes or whatever use the respirator and give up smoking if you do it...maybe when you are 61 years old you wont be coughing up a quart of snot evry morning before you go to work.

Just my thoughts
    Well said sir! Im with ya as far as ppe goes and smoke 2 packs a day,unfortunately. gonna be 42 here soon and coughing up a half quart in the morning. Im on my way... and i just got boinked in the head again with a reality check....
    Tweco Fabricator 211i
    Miller Trailblazer 302 Diesel
    65' SA200 project
    Victor O/A

Oscar, I'm also a very firm believer of:

Safety glasses
    Half mask respirator
    Ear plugs
    (or my AM radio muffs so I can work and listen to my conservative radio and curse out in my head the latest libtard nonsense)

I use 2097 pink filters, also covers you from some ozone in addition to the oil and non oil stuff 2291 filters catch
    (we generate lots of ozone when arc welding...)

Sent from my LM-Q710.FG using Tapatalk
    Ryan

Miller Multimatic 200 tig/spool gun/wireless remote
    Millermatic 350P, Bernard/XR Python guns
    Miller Dynasty 350, Coolmate 3.5 & wireless remote
    CK WF1 TIG wire feeder
    Miller Spectrum 375 Xtreme
    Optrel e684
    Miller Digital Elite
    Miller Weld-Mask

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Leroy View Post
    Oscar, how long were those in use? If that's 8-10 hours worth yea that's pretty dirty for that period of time. If they are days or weeks old it may not be that bad. We have to time and date ours and change every 8 hours. Better not get caught with a cartridge over 8 hours on your mask.
    These were used for months, but not months like your months, these are Oscar-months, lol. I installed those back in October. But I'm not a weldor. I'm a hobbyist, so I can't break it down like X hours per day, Y days per week, Z weeks a month kind-of-thing. I'll go weeks without lighting up any kind of welding electrode at times. Most of that crud is from chainsaw'ing/miter sawing bbq firewood, cutting the grass/weeds, blowing the leaves with the gas leafblower, basic household things like that. I'd say only about 30-40% of that crud was from working on welding/metal projects.

HTP Invertig 221
    HTP ProPulse 300 MIG
    HTP ProPulse 200 MIG x2
    HTP Microcut 875SC

I changed out the filters on one of my masks today based on the outside appearance. The inside looked pretty good.
    I dated the new ones I put on to see how they look in a few months. I realized after I wrote it that the 1st is tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Miller Spectrum 375 Plasma
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe
    Bridgeport Milling Machine
    www.psacustomcreations.com

I really should wear a respirator more often.

I really should wear a respirator more often.
    Wearing one now plus eye and ear protection to use a cut off wheel on an old cylinder.

Of course I am using a cut off wheel on the grinder without a guard so it all balances out.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Miller Spectrum 375 Plasma
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe
    Bridgeport Milling Machine
    www.psacustomcreations.com