the anatomy of a used 3M 2297 pancake respirator filter - Page 2
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: the anatomy of a used 3M 2297 pancake respirator filter

I wish they would make a combo saftey glass/respirator. There is always a gap between my safety glasses, and the mask. I know they make a full face mask, but don't know if its safety (impact ) rated. Seems like it would be too bulky for underneath a welding helmet. Caught a bunch of sparks under the glassed today when grinding metal today,

When ever I use a cutting wheel on the grinder, I use a face shield in addition to glasses.
    Airco 250 ac/dc Heliwelder Square wave
    Miller Synchrowave 180 sd
    Miller Econo Twin HF
    Lincoln 210 MP
    Dayton 225 ac/dc
    Victor torches

Quote Originally Posted by albrightree View Post
    I wish they would make a combo saftey glass/respirator. There is always a gap between my safety glasses, and the mask. I know they make a full face mask, but don't know if its safety (impact ) rated. Seems like it would be too bulky for underneath a welding helmet. Caught a bunch of sparks under the glassed today when grinding metal today,

When ever I use a cutting wheel on the grinder, I use a face shield in addition to glasses.
    I had to put a full face shield on as well as the glasses for the same reason.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Miller Spectrum 375 Plasma
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe
    Bridgeport Milling Machine
    www.psacustomcreations.com

Face shields over glasses beat goggles because goggles don't protect your face. I wear a shield even when using a Dremel (especially with stranded wire brushes).

Of course I am using a cut off wheel on the grinder without a guard so it all balances out.
    I moded my small grinder guards to take 6" cutting disks. I stopped buying new 4-1/2" grinders. 6" have more edge speed, more reach and are more than enough justification to buy a 6" or 7" angle grinder. They'll cut truck axles with little fuss. I also use them in circular saws.

When I started out young they handed out a box of cotton batten for your ears. A few years later ear plugs became popular. I am 71 and my hearing is still good after 30 plus years in shops. The pink filters do work. I was in a shop with flux core then I moved to a shipyard where everyone was wearing those pink pancake filters. Months later my Doc is listening to my chest and he says, " Much more clear! What has changed? " I had been out of that flux core shop for six months. The doctors comment convinced me that those little pancake filters actually do their job very well.
    It is bad when you are in a shop and you can't recognize people 200 feet away until you recognize their gate when they stand up and walk. In the shipyard they said that if those filters get wet from rain the activated charcoal does not work and they should be changed.