just picked up a tig welder, probably a stupid question
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

just picked up a tig welder, probably a stupid question

Ok... so ive been searching and googling my eyes off in regards to this and i havent been able to find an answer

Coming from someone who has some decent experience MIG welding and pretty much 0 experience TIG welding i have a couple quick questions

1. TIG torch movement... im used to "moving/weaving" my MIG gun while welding. Does this movement or weaving apply to TIG as well? The videos ive watched seem to not have much if any movement/weaving. (with the exception of "walking")

2. So far ive been testing on some scrap i had lying around. Im going to the metal supply house tomorrow and plan to pick up scraps/rems to use for practice. What is the recommended thickness to start with to learn on? Ive been using the 3/16" metal ive had laying around so far but its very rusty and im not stoked on the results

thanks

Re: just picked up a tig welder, probably a stupid question

I’m not an expert but have been TIG welding as a hobbiest for several years.

1. No, you will move the torch forward then pause or slightly back to feed the rod. Now if you get off the line you should move the torch to get the puddle over to cover both sides.

2. I find 11 gauge (1/8”) to be good for practice. TIG has to be clean!! No rust or oil or millscale. Clean with a flap disc or wheel then wipe with acetone. You will see the difference in clean materials.

Bonus tip - train yourself to grind the tungsten every time you dip it. Don’t fool yourself that you can still learn and keep going. The weld will be a mess and it will make you a better TIG welder because you will be more careful about dipping.
    Burt
    Miller Thunderbolt XL AC/DC
    Hobart Handler 120

10FtDrillBit.com

If you want shiny welds clean the metal well even mill scale will make tig welds dull
    DIY CNC Plasma table & CandCNC DTHC-IV MP 3100 Feather Touch option
    Hypertherm 65
    Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
    Miler 180 Mig
    13" metal lathe
    Mill/ Drill
    ECT, ECT,

Quote Originally Posted by wb4rt View Post
    I’m not an expert but have been TIG welding as a hobbiest for several years.

1. No, you will move the torch forward then pause or slightly back to feed the rod. Now if you get off the line you should move the torch to get the puddle over to cover both sides.

2. I find 11 gauge (1/8”) to be good for practice. TIG has to be clean!! No rust or oil or millscale. Clean with a flap disc or wheel then wipe with acetone. You will see the difference in clean materials.

Bonus tip - train yourself to grind the tungsten every time you dip it. Don’t fool yourself that you can still learn and keep going. The weld will be a mess and it will make you a better TIG welder because you will be more careful about dipping.
    That's a great tip thank you!

I plan to go to the local metal supplier tomorrow and will grab some 1/8

I spent some time on 16ga today and i did okay but did get it a bit to hot

Grab some thicker material to learn. 1 amp on the machine for every .001 thickness of material - so 1/8" will require 125 amps roughly.

Everybody has their own style while tig welding, only arc time will find yours. Its like going to the dance with your partner, your either steppin on toes and ****ing **** up or layin pipe later because your damn good with the moves.

Clean, clean, clean! Dont waste your time welding scale and garbage.

Read about your machine settings, tungsten, setup, all that ****. Ive seen good learners struggle for days because they cant setup a machine or torch due to lack of info.
    Welding --- My paid hobby!