Sealing a roll up door
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Sealing a roll up door

My new roll up door, like most, has a pretty big gap at the top when closed, I was looking at brush seal, anyone use it?
    Miller Challenger 172
    Miller Thunderbolt AC/DC 225/150
    Miller Maxstar 150 STL
    Victor 100C
    Victor Journeyman
    Oxweld OA
    Harris O/A
    Smith O/A little torch

No, that's not my car.

Re: Sealing a roll up door

Sounds like it is installed wrong. A properly installed garage door whether it be multi panel or roll up should not have any gaps.
    You need to get your installer out there to fix it!
    Oh wait, was the installer you?

This is what I used on mine for a finish seal.
    You can use it on the sides and across the top.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Royal-Mould...rip/1000444111

Quote Originally Posted by rexcormack View Post
    Sounds like it is installed wrong. A properly installed garage door whether it be multi panel or roll up should not have any gaps.
    You need to get your installer out there to fix it!
    Oh wait, was the installer you?
    No it was not me, it was a professional door company. There is a sort of "curtain" up there that is supposed to seal somewhat but it is more or less useless. When I did some research I found it is very common to have a gap at the top and brush seal is the best way to seal it because whatever you use the door will drag over it with every cycle and a rubber seal will not hold up. I am not talking about a visible gap where the door is too short for the opening, it looks fine from the front. But when you look up at the header with your head against the closed door there is a gap between the header and the front of the door where air and birds etc can come in and over the top of the roll. The only way to seal it is with a brush seal on the front or a bulb seal that rolls up inside the door and comes to rest against the header when the door is unrolled, but they don't seem to exist in the US although they are all over in Australia.
    Miller Challenger 172
    Miller Maxstar 150 STL
    Victor 100C
    Victor Journeyman
    Oxweld OA
    Harris O/A
    Smith O/A little torch

No, that's not my car.

This is what I used on mine for a finish seal.
    You can use it on the sides and across the top.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Royal-Mould...rip/1000444111
    Did you use that on a roll up? On the header or on the door itself? The sides of my door are well sealed it's just the top that isn't.
    Miller Challenger 172
    Miller Maxstar 150 STL
    Victor 100C
    Victor Journeyman
    Oxweld OA
    Harris O/A
    Smith O/A little torch

No, that's not my car.

You are correct, I did not use that on a roll up door.
    At work we have 2 large rollup doors that were installed by Overhead Door.
    Both are installed well above the opening so that the gap does not change as the diameter of the roll changes.
    In this case they have bulb seals.
    I've seen the installation you describe, usually where there is not enough overhead to make the installation correctly.
    Probably should have used a multipanel door.

Dang it, maybe it was brush seals! Now you have me second guessing myself!
    I won't be back at work till Monday!
    Now that is going to bug me all weekend!

Dang it, maybe it was brush seals! Now you have me second guessing myself!
    I won't be back at work till Monday!
    Now that is going to bug me all weekend!
    pics would be nice. My door is 20 X 11. Panel door wouldn't work in my installation as I need the full ceiling height inside.
    Miller Challenger 172
    Miller Maxstar 150 STL
    Victor 100C
    Victor Journeyman
    Oxweld OA
    Harris O/A
    Smith O/A little torch

No, that's not my car.

a caulking gun w/ soft stuff. i used to drive truck/haul grain, and had one motorcycle cop that really had it out for me. he knew my route, and would wait before the bumpy rr tracks for me, and when the slightest bit of granular stuff would fall out the crack of gate, he'd write me up for spilling. expensive fine/ and misdermeanor. so i used caulking on the two swing gates on the back of dump trailer to seal them up
    Last edited by 123weld; 03-14-2019 at 11:26 PM.

I've used these brush seals on man doors , dock doors, dock levelers, and conveyors to get a seal on moving irregular openings.

https://www.mcmaster.com/7372t11

I never looked a the topseal on our doors, now I'm gonna have to look. Its the bottom seals that usually get damaged, usually when the forks hit the bottom panel.

hope it helps, good luck
    Airco 250 ac/dc Heliwelder Square wave
    Miller Synchrowave 180 sd
    Miller Econo Twin HF
    Lincoln 210 MP
    Dayton 225 ac/dc
    Victor torches

Bigb, I have several roll-up doors and as you stated, as the door rolls up or down the roll changes it's size. I live with it, but the brush idea sounds about the best to me. The drawback would be the constant rubbing of the brush on the outer surface leaving marks from wear and as the direction of the door changes, so would the brush. Think of it as with a paint brush, as the direction changes right to left and with not raising the brush when the direction changes, the bristles would have a hard time changing direction. This brush would have to have quite long bristles. Just thinking. Bob

The above brushes are available in 2",3", and 6" deep, lengths are 3ft,and 6ft I think. Available in nylon, polyester, and Horse hair. If its a really dirty area, you might notice brush marks. It hasn't been a problem where I work, and its great for keeping bugs out at night. If the inside is lit at night, the bugs will be attracted to it. Our compressor room would be invaded at night by bugs coming in through the gap. Some of those moths are huge !

good luck
    Airco 250 ac/dc Heliwelder Square wave
    Miller Synchrowave 180 sd
    Miller Econo Twin HF
    Lincoln 210 MP
    Dayton 225 ac/dc
    Victor torches

There is a standard brush and a "weatherblock" brush that has rubber flaps inside it for more protection. I talked to a guy on the Garage Journal forum who has has his brush seal for a few years now with no paint or marking issues on his door.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Miller Challenger 172
    Miller Maxstar 150 STL
    Victor 100C
    Victor Journeyman
    Oxweld OA
    Harris O/A
    Smith O/A little torch

No, that's not my car.

My gap varies from 4" when rolled up to 6" when rolled down. I was going to add a 2X4 to the header which will reduce the gap to 2.5" and 4.5" respectively. My thought was to use a 3" retainer and a 3" brush, however after reading Bob's post about the brush having to change direction I am thinking a longer brush mounted to a shorter retainer may work better when it has to flip the other way. Instead of adding a 2x4 I will use a retainer that sticks out 1/2" from the inside of the header with a 6" brush. That will make the brush 6.5" which is .25" to .50" longer than the gap which is approx 6" to 6.25" (as the door moves in and out slightly in the wind). So when the door is closed there will be .25" to .50" of extra brush pressing against it. When the door opens all the way there will be about 2" of extra brush pressing against it, or flipping up and the 6" total brush length should help it flex back the other way as the door closes and the gap increases back to 6". I think that is my best option.
    Last edited by bigb; 03-16-2019 at 10:46 PM.
    Miller Challenger 172
    Miller Maxstar 150 STL
    Victor 100C
    Victor Journeyman
    Oxweld OA
    Harris O/A
    Smith O/A little torch

No, that's not my car.

Re: Sealing a roll up door Update

The brush seal samples arrived today and it looks like it will work great. I added a 2x4 screwed flat across the top of the 2x4 just at the top of the header which gave me a mounting surface above all the guide parts and bottom angle, and it also gave me a 3.5" mounting surface to angle the brush seal as needed since like all roll up doors my gap is much bigger in the center than on the ends where the track prevents the gap from getting as large. Without being able to angle the mounting retainers the brush would end up loose at the middle and scrunched up at the ends. Angling it makes it uniform all the way across. The only drawback is I had to remove the interior hoods so I could lean over the roll and fasten everything, but as long as I don't have to replace the brush often it wont be a huge issue. Removing the hoods is a 2 man job. The hoods will also fit tightly to the wall surface when I am finished so the brush seal will basically be protecting the cavity inside the hoods. I am pretty pleased with this especially after hearing some people claim you cannot seal a roll up door. I am here to tell you it can be done.
    Miller Challenger 172
    Miller Maxstar 150 STL
    Victor 100C
    Victor Journeyman
    Oxweld OA
    Harris O/A
    Smith O/A little torch

No, that's not my car.

Nice job, it looks a door manufacture's designed seal
    I've been everywhere but the electric chair, seen everything but the wind...the only two things I can't weld is the crack of dawn and a broken heart!

Man im so glad i found this thread. Now i have to find a money tree to buy the brushes.
    i have a building with 2- 10' h x 10 'w and 1 - 10'h x 12'w
    all with this exact problem. those brushes are crazy priced but i see
    no other way to solve the problem. if you try and use a vinyl door side seal at the top and put it tight
    to the door, you can't fool the door up as it will bind tight to the seal. i have a huge love hate
    relationship with those damn doors. mine are real old corrugated style and i damn sure
    can't afford $10K to replace them.
    When i grow up i want to be a welder

PRIMEWELD TIG225ACDCP
    Millermatic 215
    Everlast PowerPlasma 50
    oxy/ac
    Not enough talent to use any of it very well

Why was the door installed so far back from the opening?

Quote Originally Posted by walker View Post
    Why was the door installed so far back from the opening?
    not so much too far back but the drum is too low in the opening because of ceiling height on the inside
    When i grow up i want to be a welder

PRIMEWELD TIG225ACDCP
    Millermatic 215
    Everlast PowerPlasma 50
    oxy/ac
    Not enough talent to use any of it very well

If you look at the side rails that bolt to the 2x6 door jamb they are 3" deep and the track is to the inside. Can't really fill the gap too much since when the door rolls up the gap decreases so any filler you put would bind on the door. I could have added more wood to make the gap smaller but after reading what Bob said I decided to use as long a brush as possible to make it easier to flip directions and it worked.
    Miller Challenger 172
    Miller Maxstar 150 STL
    Victor 100C
    Victor Journeyman
    Oxweld OA
    Harris O/A
    Smith O/A little torch

No, that's not my car.

Are you heated ? Because heat rises and wil keep pressure against the cold trying to enter but its waste BTU's. I had a shop in VA and we kept the ol pot belly cranked in the AM and didn't worry about mid day bcause the welding, hot tanks, machines etc kept it "warm enough ( 30 degree day--50 inside---OK for work).
    We'd stoke it again at quit time....10 PM or so and it would be "OK" in the AM and give it a quick charge by firing the hot tanks and stoking the pot belly until 9 AM or so when it became tolerable.Once the welding and hot tanks commenced we could open the doors and continue. Rustic ole race car shop but it was tolerable.
    35-45 outside and 55-65 or so inside. Flannel shirt type work

Quote Originally Posted by Bonzoo View Post
    Are you heated ? Because heat rises and wil keep pressure against the cold trying to enter but its waste BTU's. I had a shop in VA and we kept the ol pot belly cranked in the AM and didn't worry about mid day bcause the welding, hot tanks, machines etc kept it "warm enough ( 30 degree day--50 inside---OK for work).
    We'd stoke it again at quit time....10 PM or so and it would be "OK" in the AM and give it a quick charge by firing the hot tanks and stoking the pot belly until 9 AM or so when it became tolerable.Once the welding and hot tanks commenced we could open the doors and continue. Rustic ole race car shop but it was tolerable.
    35-45 outside and 55-65 or so inside. Flannel shirt type work
    Very seldom need heat, maybe 3-4 times a year for a few hours. The big thing here is cooling. I run swamp coolers April to October. And mosquitoes, I hate them and will go to great lengths to keep them out. I also let the spiders make their webs by the window, it's their territory and I let them be. They get to keep any flies and mosquitoes that do get in.
    Miller Challenger 172
    Miller Maxstar 150 STL
    Victor 100C
    Victor Journeyman
    Oxweld OA
    Harris O/A
    Smith O/A little torch

No, that's not my car.

Got er Done

Finished it today just in time for bee and mosquito season. 1st shot is from inside looking over the roll, you can see how big the gap was (that's 5" brush). Close up of the brush and the final shot before trim and paint. This stuff works great, stops the cool air from inside from dumping out over the top of the door and even shuts out a surprising amount of noise.
    Miller Challenger 172
    Miller Maxstar 150 STL
    Victor 100C
    Victor Journeyman
    Oxweld OA
    Harris O/A
    Smith O/A little torch

No, that's not my car.

Wow this is timely! Just got back from buying a place in Texas that has the same door configuration.

Great fix! Bob