12VDC POSITIVE Ground - Page 2
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: 12VDC POSITIVE Ground

Quote Originally Posted by Willie B View Post
    A single pole switch is printed off when it is in the down position. Three way is all about where the other switch is. Outlets can be mounted ground up, or down. When I was very young a VT State Electrical Inspector insisted they had to be ground up. He wasn't able to show me where the code specified. To me they just look upside down ground up. I try to match the rest of the building.

I always threaten to turn light switches upside down. It seems my family is only able to push the switch up. They can't push them down.

Training hasn't worked, I now have mostly occupancy sensors.
    I saw some outlets the other day with all the grounds up... like you I think they look upside down I always install them with the ground near the ground.... putting them in ceiling and floors kinda throws me.... so I just pick a direction and make em' all the same.

Duh yes, I mis-spoke. A bunch of the switches were flip down to turn on. I understand the reason for ground up outlets as they are safe if you drop something conductive down from above, and I will occasionally put my finger on the plug ground to locate the outlet when I can't see what I am doing, but reverse wiring the mower and putting switches upside down always puzzled me.
    Tweco Fabricator 211i
    Sieg X2
    AMT radial arm drill press
    AMT belt/disk sander
    HF 4X6 bandsaw

Quote Originally Posted by jrporter View Post
    I understand the reason for ground up outlets as they are safe if you drop something conductive down from above,
    I had this happen once and what ever was pluged in didnt have a ground. It wasnt good.

Quote Originally Posted by jrporter View Post
    Duh yes, I mis-spoke. A bunch of the switches were flip down to turn on. I understand the reason for ground up outlets as they are safe if you drop something conductive down from above, and I will occasionally put my finger on the plug ground to locate the outlet when I can't see what I am doing, but reverse wiring the mower and putting switches upside down always puzzled me.
    My mother was eccentric. I may have been at fault. As a four year old I discovered I could slip a penny between a wall outlet, and the plug. It was VERY fun, and I got the exact desired reaction I wanted from mother. I did it often. Dad lost his sense of humor about it eventually too.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

In the late 70's positive ground was still common on Freightliner trucks, mostly for fuel tanker companies. For some weird reason positive ground was felt to be safer on tanker trucks.