Convince me to buy an Everlast 255 EXT over a Lincoln 225 Precision Tig - Page 2
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: Convince me to buy an Everlast 255 EXT over a Lincoln 225 Precision Tig

I have 5 welding machines and a plasma cutter. 3 of the 6 are Everlast units 2 are Miller and one is a Thermal-arc. I like them all and have had minimal problems with any of them. I can not say the everlast units have been perfect but they have been no worse than other brands and 9 times out of ten a problem has wound up being a loose connection or contaminated gas . I will say that the cabling that their stuff comes with is lacking in some cases like the cables for their foot pedal but over all I have been pleased with their products. I believe any of the welders the OP has mentioned would do well for him.

I will say one thing . Why would anyone buy a welding machine through or from anyone other than the manufacturer or one of their dealers. I would not buy something like a new welder from Amazon no matter what brand it was. I did buy my Thermal-Arc used off of ebay like 13 years ago. It has worked within its design specs flawlessly in all that time.

south GA where its hot in summer and cold in winter

[QUOTE=shovelon;8687214]I am sure you are not directing your comments to me, but I will try to address some of your points. I never owned an Everlast, but have had the chance to spend some time with one at a Weld-O-Rama. Yep, it fried a board and blew smoke. End of that. That was the one you sent to Jonathan, remember? Another one at another Weld-O-Rama did not blow smoke but had starting problems. And yes the ground clamp was on the weldment, which is BS when it should be perfectly fine to ground on the workbench.

As far as Amazon, maybe you need to police your machine sellers better. How the heck are sellers getting your salvage units without authorization? And I have seen plenty of Ebay and Amazon sellers hawking last year's models whether they know it or not.

Make sure to clue your potential buyers of the timeline for shipping damage claims. Most newbies don't have the skills to know if a machine works right or not. When they do sometimes they have to pay for warranty shipping because their 30 or 60 days grace has gone by. How does that policy actually work again?[/QUOTE

Terry,
    You proved my point. How long ago was weld0rama that this happned. Quite a while.
    The comment about policing our dealers is quite naive for you...Salvage dealers aren't our dealers. They buy from UPS and other outlets on damaged product returns. This is quite a market these days as they buy "insurance" property, damaged pallets of goods etc. I am surprised for someone that claims to know it all about this kind of thing and offer your opinion as an authority so freely, you are so in the dark on this practice. We don't sell our product to them. Returned, and open box items from any company aren't warrantied if sold through unapproved sources. If a customer wants to know if they are an approved dealer, all they have to do is call to check.
    When a customer buys from me, I explain the details of the return policy and refer them to the site to read it. Our
    30 day policy works quite well for our customers. They don't have to buy if they don't want to agree to it. The link to it is at the very top of every page in an oversized link and not buried in the site. It is also available from drop down links. Again, you will argue this point, but the Miller warranty and Lincoln one the last I checked also have similar statements about paying for shipping. For you, and your experience because you own a lot of them and operate a large shop that gets you special attention from your lws. Here, my local lws says they see their Miller rep about twice a year. There lincoln rep about once every 18 months. That might be fine and well to you to have your guy come pick it up a blown unit from your lws, but for a guy way out in Montana that is pure you-know-what. You live in a micro bubble of what is S. CA where everything is rosy and think the whole world works the way you think it does. But it doesn't. You know welding, but you don't know but a tiny slice of the welding business.
    Esab Migmaster 250
    Lincoln SA 200
    Lincoln Ranger 8
    Smith Oxy Fuel setup
    Everlast PowerPlasma 80
    Everlast Power iMIG 160
    Everlast Power iMIG 205
    Everlast Power iMIG 140E
    Everlast PowerARC 300
    Everlast PowerARC 140ST
    Everlast PowerTIG 255EXT

I am actually more and more a fan of the everlast the more I use it. It's not a dynasty that i'm used to but its also not like 12k. ( I normally run the 700) and its not all that far off tbh. (Miller pedals for life though even the everlast upgraded ones is still the small lowpro style i don't like)
    If I was doing it as a full time gig I would be fine with the everlast but I would most likely have two because two is one and one is none and. Id consider hard at the HTP too. Looks sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by Estate631959 View Post
    TylerM, let me fix this for you!

I have NO affiliation with any Company, Period!

I own;
    $10K 400 amp Miller at main shop (been repaired twice)
    Everlast 325 EXT at Home shop (purchased 12/2017, NEVER missed a beat)
    Primeweld tig 225 at vacation home (Never missed a beat)

Now you confessed you aren't that good a tig welder, just as in golf, boxing, etc, you may not ever be a good/great tig welder because we all do not have the same physical abilities or talents!

So you need to spend your money wisely!

That being said, just buy the Primeweld 225. American guy answers phone 24/7, free shipping, 3 Year warranty, free repair shipping, blah, blah blah!

Go to Youtube and search, Good tig welder under $1,000 by www.6061.com
    Also, the review by The Fabrication guy, Primeweld 225

No other company has a welder with this many features at this price point, not even the AHP! (Sorry Mark!)
    (It's 225 amps, you want more add some Helium)

$775. All you need additionally is a bottle of gas, helmet, tungsten, consumables, (actually comes with 1 stick of Tungsten and Chink consumables)

Go to eBay and purchase mild steel, SS, AL in .125 thickness + filler rod. If you get good, TiCon has sample Titanium to practice on.

www.6061 has a Dynasty 350 for everyday shop use, I see no difference in his welds with either machine
    The Fabricator has 10 different machines (including HTP and Fronius) and I see no difference in any of his AL welds vs the Primeweld!
    I've seen old guys stack dimes on Coke can edges with a Miller 330. No machine no matter costs or features will make you a welder, you have to do that yourself!

If you excel and want to continue, purchase the following
    Tig water cooler off EBay $300
    USA made WP20 style torch $150
    SSC foot pedal $150
    Connectors from ArcZone $80

You're in at around $1,400

The metal does not know what brand you are using. If you get able to run a bead as good as 6061 and/or Fabrication series, you can get all the work you want!

Water cooled HTP is a little over $3K, Fronius 230i is over $6K, you could buy 4 or 8 225's for these prices!

Electric heaters, hair dryers, welders, etc all break. You are using a controlled electrical short to achieve your goal. This is monumentally hard on electrical components. All brand of welders fail, some sooner than others! Two identical welders, one may last 10 years longer, just the way it is!

If a F'ing DemoRat is elected Pres next time, I's sure it will be illegal to own more than one house or more than one Tig welder and make more than $15/Hour! (If I only need 200 Amps or less, I reach for the Primeweld! 200-300 Amps, I use the Everlast. 300 Amps and above I use the Miller!) That being said, if I could only keep one welder, I'd keep the Everlast 325 EXT for one reason, 325 AMPS!

Food for thought!
    Well damn, what else can be said. I think you pretty much nailed it from a logical standpoint.
    I bought the primeweld 225 for all those exact reasons and I'm a newb tigidiot. Do i know how to use it ? nope but I'm practicing.
    I immediately found out that pulse can be used as a crutch for newbs to help timing and adding filler.
    And after doing some lines of practice at 130A, I'm already interested in the above quoted water cooler.
    i'll have to start researching on how to integrate a cooler into a machine that was not built for it.
    I think i remember mechanic416 saying something about the prime weld 225x having ports built in
    for a water cooler in the near future. I have no idea if my 225x is working as designed as i don't have the knowledge
    or talent to know for sure. Im currently looking for someone that i can pay to stand over my shoulder and tell
    me what I'm doing wrong / right but coming up with a goose egg.
    When i grow up i want to be a welder

PRIMEWELD TIG225ACDCP
    Millermatic 215
    Everlast PowerPlasma 50
    oxy/ac
    Not enough talent to use any of it very well

Quote Originally Posted by shovelon View Post
    Purchase the Harbor Freight Vulcan to learn on as it is as simple as it gets. Then you pick some good skills return it within a year as they want you to try it. Then buy a Miller Dynasty at a trusted LWS.
    And this is exactly what is going to continue to drive the cost up on these welders or cause them to downgrade the internals or QC. Sadly I've seen this exact thing said by many. Im pretty sure their intention was not to loan you the machine
    for just less than a year at zero interest so you could learn to TIG weld. Thats just morally wrong and not cool. But we all know what opinions are like.........

PRIMEWELD TIG225ACDCP
    Millermatic 215
    Everlast PowerPlasma 50
    oxy/ac

Quote Originally Posted by bevis28 View Post
    And this is exactly what is going to continue to drive the cost up on these welders or cause them to downgrade the internals or QC. Sadly I've seen this exact thing said by many. Im pretty sure their intention was not to loan you the machine
    for just less than a year at zero interest so you could learn to TIG weld. Thats just morally wrong and not cool. But we all know what opinions are like.........
    while many people including myself make that statement, in truth after a year of use with no problems I would probably keep the welder and buy an upgrade if needed and keep this one as a backup, but it is more mind over matter knowing if something happened or welding didnt work out your not stuck with something you dont want, Id be curious how many people actually return the welder after a year? im betting it is a very low percentage since the welder seems to hold up and do what its supposed to...IMHO..

[QUOTE=lugweld;8687287]
    I am sure you are not directing your comments to me, but I will try to address some of your points. I never owned an Everlast, but have had the chance to spend some time with one at a Weld-O-Rama. Yep, it fried a board and blew smoke. End of that. That was the one you sent to Jonathan, remember? Another one at another Weld-O-Rama did not blow smoke but had starting problems. And yes the ground clamp was on the weldment, which is BS when it should be perfectly fine to ground on the workbench.

As far as Amazon, maybe you need to police your machine sellers better. How the heck are sellers getting your salvage units without authorization? And I have seen plenty of Ebay and Amazon sellers hawking last year's models whether they know it or not.

Make sure to clue your potential buyers of the timeline for shipping damage claims. Most newbies don't have the skills to know if a machine works right or not. When they do sometimes they have to pay for warranty shipping because their 30 or 60 days grace has gone by. How does that policy actually work again?[/QUOTE

Terry,
    You proved my point. How long ago was weld0rama that this happned. Quite a while.
    The comment about policing our dealers is quite naive for you...Salvage dealers aren't our dealers. They buy from UPS and other outlets on damaged product returns. This is quite a market these days as they buy "insurance" property, damaged pallets of goods etc. I am surprised for someone that claims to know it all about this kind of thing and offer your opinion as an authority so freely, you are so in the dark on this practice. We don't sell our product to them. Returned, and open box items from any company aren't warrantied if sold through unapproved sources. If a customer wants to know if they are an approved dealer, all they have to do is call to check.
    When a customer buys from me, I explain the details of the return policy and refer them to the site to read it. Our
    30 day policy works quite well for our customers. They don't have to buy if they don't want to agree to it. The link to it is at the very top of every page in an oversized link and not buried in the site. It is also available from drop down links. Again, you will argue this point, but the Miller warranty and Lincoln one the last I checked also have similar statements about paying for shipping. For you, and your experience because you own a lot of them and operate a large shop that gets you special attention from your lws. Here, my local lws says they see their Miller rep about twice a year. There lincoln rep about once every 18 months. That might be fine and well to you to have your guy come pick it up a blown unit from your lws, but for a guy way out in Montana that is pure you-know-what. You live in a micro bubble of what is S. CA where everything is rosy and think the whole world works the way you think it does. But it doesn't. You know welding, but you don't know but a tiny slice of the welding business.
    Yes, last Weld-O-Rama was 5 years ago. I am sure a lot has changed for Everlast since then.

As far as Amazon sellers hawking new Everlast machines that are actually salvage is not my problem. How would anyone know except for you? Fortunately I buy little on Amazon anyway so I give the benefit of doubt to you.

And your 30 day return policy for damaged goods is the novice's folly. I would bet dollars to donuts that a weekend warrior newbie would take delivery of the machine, then purchase the peripherals later to actually test the workings. Of course then fumble through the owners manual trying to get it set right, clean the material, check the groundings, all of that. Don't forget, that clock is ticking! Ah, the life of the newbie.

Did you guys ever start putting setup charts under the hoods of your mig machines yet?
    Weld like a "WELDOR", not a wel-"DERR"
    MillerDynasty700DX,Dynasty350DX3ea,Dynasty200DX,Th ermalArc400GTSW,LincolnSW2002ea., MillerMatic350P,MillerMatic200w/spoolgun,MKCobraMig260,Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm1250,HFProTig4ea,MigMax1ea.

[QUOTE=shovelon;8687339]
    Quote Originally Posted by lugweld View Post

Yes, last Weld-O-Rama was 5 years ago. I am sure a lot has changed for Everlast since then.

As far as Amazon sellers hawking new Everlast machines that are actually salvage is not my problem. How would anyone know except for you? Fortunately I buy little on Amazon anyway so I give the benefit of doubt to you.

And your 30 day return policy for damaged goods is the novice's folly. I would bet dollars to donuts that a weekend warrior newbie would take delivery of the machine, then purchase the peripherals later to actually test the workings. Of course then fumble through the owners manual trying to get it set right, clean the material, check the groundings, all of that. Don't forget, that clock is ticking! Ah, the life of the newbie.

Did you guys ever start putting setup charts under the hoods of your mig machines yet?
    And right there is a problem you won't have with primeweld. They pay for all shipping for repairs for the entire term of the warranty and the customer service is outstanding.
    Thats the reason they got my meager money and not the Everest/AHP . No ticking clock to worry about for what could possibly become a big investment in shipping costs over the term of the warranty.

PRIMEWELD TIG225ACDCP
    Millermatic 215
    Everlast PowerPlasma 50
    oxy/ac

Everlast Equipment has become as good quality wise as any other manufacturer But everyone keeps reading and hearing
    all the negative reports on customer service warranties. etc If they could get away from that problem. At there prices
    they could be one of the best sellers on the market

[QUOTE=bevis28;8687340]

And right there is a problem you won't have with primeweld. They pay for all shipping for repairs for the entire term of the warranty and the customer service is outstanding.
    Thats the reason they got my meager money and not the Everest/AHP . No ticking clock to worry about for what could possibly become a big investment in shipping costs over the term of the warranty.
    For now. There's been a number of these companies come and go. It's got them noticed, but I dare say it is not a sustainable policy. We've survived a number of these upstarts promising the world and delviering it for a while.. Primeweld is the latest.
    Esab Migmaster 250
    Lincoln SA 200
    Lincoln Ranger 8
    Smith Oxy Fuel setup
    Everlast PowerPlasma 80
    Everlast Power iMIG 160
    Everlast Power iMIG 205
    Everlast Power iMIG 140E
    Everlast PowerARC 300
    Everlast PowerARC 140ST
    Everlast PowerTIG 255EXT

[QUOTE=shovelon;8687339]
    Quote Originally Posted by lugweld View Post

Our customers only need to purchase gas because the unit comes with the rest. If they don't purchase a consumable kit like a gas lens or additional consumable kit, which comes with tungsten, they will need that too. Most go out and get it the day they purchase the unit and have it in place when the unit is delivered.

2014 was the latest one I can find on here, but I don't remember if it was that one or earlier one. But it is still a long ways back. The unit you had would be out of warranty by now. It's that far back. Our product line and production lines that the product is produced on has changed a lot as well as the numbers we sell and our tech support and repair facilities. Our product is digitally controlled now and production has completely changed. We've invested heavily in our development and in the factory itself.

As far as the charts....they are being integrated. The first to arrive will be the Power i MIG 200. And the chart itself is now available on the site on the details page of the unit. if an existing customer wishes to print it off and include in their unit.

Edit: Link to upcoming chart in Power i MIG 200 https://www.everlastgenerators.com/s...33b71ac913.pdf
    Last edited by lugweld; 03-19-2019 at 12:12 PM.
    Esab Migmaster 250
    Lincoln SA 200
    Lincoln Ranger 8
    Smith Oxy Fuel setup
    Everlast PowerPlasma 80
    Everlast Power iMIG 160
    Everlast Power iMIG 205
    Everlast Power iMIG 140E
    Everlast PowerARC 300
    Everlast PowerARC 140ST
    Everlast PowerTIG 255EXT

Quote Originally Posted by Josey View Post
    Everlast Equipment has become as good quality wise as any other manufacturer But everyone keeps reading and hearing
    all the negative reports on customer service warranties. etc If they could get away from that problem. At there prices
    they could be one of the best sellers on the market
    ummm no..for the amount of equipment miller and lincoln have sold vs the amount of failures they are far better quality than everlast, and the factory support and warranty again far superior than everlast...yeah you come across complaints of problems with miller/lincoln but nothing close to everlast..all you have to do is google and see who has the higher volume of issues and complaints..its not anything I can make up and pull out of thin air...if everlast wants to show they stand behind their product then they can pay the shipping for warranty repairs..if the product is good then it wont cost them much and the increased volume of sales would more than make up for the ones they have to pay shipping for, but when you sell chicom stuff the odds are against you..thats why they lay all the expense on the purchaser and nothing on them..so thats how confident everlast is in their equipment...

Im pretty sure their intention was not to loan you the machine for just less than a year at zero interest so you could learn to TIG weld. Thats just morally wrong and not cool.
    Actually Shovelon was a beta tester for HF, so I am kind of sure he knows what their intentions were. I am betting HF believes that more people who try the machine will elect to keep it once they realize it exceeds their expectations. I am also sure they factored into the price a cost of returns. They clearly offer a 1 year risk free trial. They are not ripping you off and you are not ripping them off. Please explain how it is morally wrong with taking a vendor up on a publicized offer? Did you think they didn't expect that some people will buy it fully anticipating they would return it? It would be naive to think this wasn't factored into the pricing. A legal, voluntary transaction between two parties is never immoral.
    Millermatic 252
    Syncrowave 250
    Purox Metalmaster

Quote Originally Posted by Louie1961 View Post
    Actually Shovelon was a beta tester for HF, so I am kind of sure he knows what their intentions were. I am betting HF believes that more people who try the machine will elect to keep it once they realize it exceeds their expectations. I am also sure they factored into the price a cost of returns. They clearly offer a 1 year risk free trial. They are not ripping you off and you are not ripping them off. Please explain how it is morally wrong with taking a vendor up on a publicized offer? Did you think they didn't expect that some people will buy it fully anticipating they would return it? It would be naive to think this wasn't factored into the pricing. A legal, voluntary transaction between two parties is never immoral.
    Sales wants every perspective buyer to consider returning it for refund. That gets them in the door. The returns are so low they don't care. The returns are inspected under engineering supervision for quality purposes, power tested, reboxed, and resold under warranty as seconds, usually for a couple bucks off. They can afford to do this because with almost 1000 stores to fill inventory, the purchasing power is immense. So I say buy it and return it. They say buy it and return it. No big deal.
    MillerDynasty700DX,Dynasty350DX3ea,Dynasty200DX,Th ermalArc400GTSW,LincolnSW2002ea., MillerMatic350P,MillerMatic200w/spoolgun,MKCobraMig260,Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm1250,HFProTig4ea,MigMax1ea.

What "tig to buy" threads get all the attention. Where is the black swan?
    ESAB Rebels 215/235, Hypertherm 85, 45xp, Miller 350p, Synchrowave 350 LX, Thermal Arc 185, Everlast 255EXT, TD 60i

Quote Originally Posted by Jawslandshark View Post
    What "tig to buy" threads get all the attention. Where is the black swan?

Apparently returning a vulcan Tig 200 at day 364 to help fund buying a competitors product now that the bird has learned to Tig weld.

PRIMEWELD TIG225ACDCP
    Millermatic 215
    Everlast PowerPlasma 50
    oxy/ac

I think your asking a question you already know the answer to , if you have been doing the kind of work you stated then you know you get what you pay for ! PERIOD ! All that stuff about some body buying some chinese welder and using it for x amount of time is a bunch of irreverent crap ! Yeah you could get lucky , you could also win the lottery , your odds are probably about the same for either . Stay with the miller or the lincoln , you wont be sorry . You will always be able to obtain parts if necessary and you will be able to contact customer support that actually speak English if need be these are tried and true welding machines that have stood the test of time . If you have the option the water cooled tig is always the way to go ! The torch is much smaller and easy to maneuver it tight spaces , and you can weld for hours with them ! And yes i have welded full 8 hr days with a old miller that was 20 yrs old when i was useing it ! It was in our shop for over 22 yrs and was there humming like a bird when i left !

Holy hell....I need popcorn
    Torchmate 2x2 CNC with Flashcut CNC controls
    Hypertherm Powermax45
    2015 AHP Tig
    Razorweld 195 Mig
    Razorweld 200ac/dc Tig
    ViperMig 180
    Razorweld, Vipercut/Vipermig, SSC Foot Pedal & MK Products & Atlas Positioner Dealer

Quote Originally Posted by paul. m View Post
    I think your asking a question you already know the answer to , if you have been doing the kind of work you stated then you know you get what you pay for ! PERIOD ! All that stuff about some body buying some chinese welder and using it for x amount of time is a bunch of irreverent crap ! Yeah you could get lucky , you could also win the lottery , your odds are probably about the same for either . Stay with the miller or the lincoln , you wont be sorry . You will always be able to obtain parts if necessary and you will be able to contact customer support that actually speak English if need be these are tried and true welding machines that have stood the test of time . If you have the option the water cooled tig is always the way to go ! The torch is much smaller and easy to maneuver it tight spaces , and you can weld for hours with them ! And yes i have welded full 8 hr days with a old miller that was 20 yrs old when i was useing it ! It was in our shop for over 22 yrs and was there humming like a bird when i left !
    Well pard, this cat has had great service from my green machines. Maybe you're old enough to remember when MADE IN JAPAN was declase, I mean, worthless crap? Get a grip Sparky, the world be a changin'. Your either in front or behind, knock yourself out. Do want to hear about my friends 12K razoo Miller setup that fried, one after the other, the power source and the feeder in less than a year? And how much down time that caused?

Quote Originally Posted by TylerM View Post
    I buy my tools to make me $$$ and i'm not afraid to spend more on a quality tool.
    If it's for your business, why are you even considering a second-rate machine? You'll have support from your LWS if you buy from them plus you won't have to upgrade later. A few jobs will defer the additional cost and you don't have to get rid of the cheap unit when it's time to upgrade. "Buy once cry once," I believe is the saying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the PT225. It sits on the shelf. I had a Thermal arc AC DC 210 inverter.

Wen the thermal arc went up after about 7 years, I bought the Lincoln Square wave tig. The new PT225 still sitting on the shelf.

As far as the chineese brand, why would you buy that if you plan to use it to make money?

If my 200 amp Lincoln dies, my local welder supply will fix it for FREE for the first 3 years, then its only parts for the life of the machine.

David

Sent from my SM-T900 using Tapatalk
    Real world weldin.

When I grow up I want to be a tig weldor.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamble View Post
    Holy hell....I need popcorn
    Yes, always a good read.
    Ernie F.

Quote Originally Posted by David R View Post
    I have the PT225. It sits on the shelf. I had a Thermal arc AC DC 210 inverter.

Wen the thermal arc went up after about 7 years, I bought the Lincoln Square wave tig. The new PT225 still sitting on the shelf.

As far as the chineese brand, why would you buy that if you plan to use it to make money?

If my 200 amp Lincoln dies, my local welder supply will fix it for FREE for the first 3 years, then its only parts for the life of the machine.

David

Sent from my SM-T900 using Tapatalk
    for $140.00 I got the extended warranty on the SW200 so im good bumper to bumper for 5 years....and thats a factory extension not a 3rd party warranty company..just check the lincoln site..

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbytime View Post
    for $140.00 I got the extended warranty on the SW200 so im good bumper to bumper for 5 years....and thats a factory extension not a 3rd party warranty company..just check the lincoln site..
    So did I. Chump change compared to the money I make off the machine. I got a 10% discount if I bought 2, so my 5 year warranty upgrade was minimal.

LWS support is a way of life I will sorely miss if internet sales win out. With that said my LWS is delivering gas soon so I better open up the doors.

Also agree that buy/use/return is douchy, and an abuse of the retail system.
    It makes potential hassle for HONEST customers, I've been threatened with 20% restocking on legit defects, and under-bid by someone who intended to purchase/return instead of owning tools.

How should and importer/retailer/manufacturer determine which device features the lowest defect rate, if so many machines are returned as defects by alchys and sleazebags?
    Just answer that!
    If you are selling a lathe that swings 22", and live in Central FL, please PM me a price and some pics.