Gas mixer - Page 2
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gas mixer

Re: Gas mixer

you hope they are...

I plan to copy some of these setups sometimes soon though, I want to mix sureshield 5 (5% CO2, 1% O2) with pure argon to make Stainshield (2% CO2 with traces of O2) for MIG welding stainless.

I will deffo be adding check valves to my setup though... for the small cost of them it seems worthwhile.

Quote Originally Posted by Munkul View Post
    you hope they are...

I plan to copy some of these setups sometimes soon though, I want to mix sureshield 5 (5% CO2, 1% O2) with pure argon to make Stainshield (2% CO2 with traces of O2) for MIG welding stainless.

I will deffo be adding check valves to my setup though... for the small cost of them it seems worthwhile.
    You would better spend money on a pressure gauge to calibrate the flowmeters. If they are the same you are good to go. Neither can get pressure past the other regulator. Don't forget that the flowmeter with the slightly higher output pressure will overpower the other output pressure until the system normalizes at some 3 psi. That could be a very long surge time with the higher pressure output gas at a temporarily higher concentration, especially if the mig regulator output pressures are at some 80psi. If you are tacking you will never reach your desired concentration, even with check valves.

My recomendations would be source lower output pressure regulators to keep surge pressures low and surge time shorter. My singles are 25psi output, and duals arse 30psi output. Also shortest gassaver hoses for reduced surge volumn, portable pressure test device for calibration from Netwelding.com. Also a portable gas flowmeter to confirm final gas flow at nozzle from Netwelder.com .
    Name:  Gauge_Pair_E.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  12.9 KB
    Name:  Portable_Flowmeter.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  13.5 KB
    Weld like a "WELDOR", not a wel-"DERR"
    MillerDynasty700DX,Dynasty350DX3ea,Dynasty200DX,Th ermalArc400GTSW,LincolnSW2002ea., MillerMatic350P,MillerMatic200w/spoolgun,MKCobraMig260,Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm1250,HFProTig4ea,MigMax1ea.

Quote Originally Posted by metalmagpie View Post
    Be careful with those Y setups - they should have check valves. Otherwise if one tank has different pressure than the other, gas will flow from the one with more pressure into the one with less. Mixing your gases unintentionally. Very bad.

metalmagpie

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
    If they were connected directly to each other that would happen. You are forgetting that they have regulators on them that are both set to the same pressure.
    If your mixing gas then they probably aren't set to same pressure but your right none the less. The regulator is never going to let the one with higher pressure go backwards through the other regulator and overcome the bottle pressure to get in the other tank that is for dang sure.
    Last edited by danielplace; 07-15-2019 at 02:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
    If they were connected directly to each other that would happen. You are forgetting that they have regulators on them that are both set to the same pressure.
    What do you suppose the probability is that two regulators are set to exactly the same value? Answer below.

I have two flowmeters. One is set to 50 psi and the other 30 psi.

I cannot say for sure that gas can flow backwards through a flowmeter, though.

The answer to the question above is zero. No two analog properties are ever precisely equal.

metalmagpie

Quote Originally Posted by metalmagpie View Post
    What do you suppose the probability is that two regulators are set to exactly the same value? Answer below.

I have two flowmeters. One is set to 50 psi and the other 30 psi.

I cannot say for sure that gas can flow backwards through a flowmeter, though.

The answer to the question above is zero. No two analog properties are ever precisely equal.

metalmagpie
    While what you're saying is 100% true in context, in application two identical flowmeters both intended to be set to the same output pressure will indeed work to provide the necessary flow percentages to get a gas mixture. Might it be up to your liking/standars? Going by what you are saying, probably not. But for me, it works just fine, and that is what matters to me.
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling signature!

HTP Invertig 221
    HTP ProPulse 300 MIG
    HTP ProPulse 200 MIG x2
    HTP ProPulse 220 MTS
    HTP Inverarc 200 TLP
    HTP Microcut 875SC